Colonoscopy

I'm 70 and have had doctors regularly urging me to get a colonoscopy done since I was 50. It is recommended by the AMA that you get one done every 5 years after age 50. A mate of mine got one done and was told he had polyps (which is very common indeed) and the surgeon recommended that he have a section of bowel removed, have a temporary stoma bag, and then after 3 months have his bowel reattached to his anus. He had to have a blood drive as US hospitals were short of blood at the time.

Now the guy didn't even have cancerous lesions. I am sure the chances of dying from a birth field post surgical infection are far higher than dying of a potential cancer. 

I have not had a colonoscopy, nor will I have one, and if I die for bowel cancer then so be it, you have too die of something don't you? 

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Bowell Cancer is one of the cancers where death can be prevented if caught early enough - it is a slow growing cancer - unlike skin or breast cancers. Having the bowell checked via colonosopy is a good idea IMO every 10 years after turning 50 if there is a hsiroty of bowell cancer in the family. There is also the option of having your poo tested for blood every few years - in Australia there is a free test service done every 2-3 years for all over 60. Blood in the poo (very small amounts) is a sign of possible cancer - test positive and then they recommend a colonoscopy - often just a bleeding polyp/s, but good to find out if it is cancer.  Testing poo for blood can be done here - and there are several very good hospitals here for a colonoscopy too - and surgery if it is needed (but check their blood supply of your type first - those operations bleed a lot). 

Agreed... I wonder how many of us are thinking...'I really should go and get this done'...

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Im scared to get this done as they have to put you to sleep apparently and they may talk about me and make jokes etc 

Just don't get a woody during the procedure:cheesy:....

• Haha 1

Can be done with only a strong tranquilizer, not really being "put to sleep". Less stressful than a gastroscopy where you need to swallow down the tube.

I didn't know it was something you subjected yourself to without probable cause.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, retarius said:

I'm 70 and have had doctors regularly urging me to get a colonoscopy done since I was 50. It is recommended by the AMA that you get one done every 5 years after age 50. A mate of mine got one done and was told he had polyps (which is very common indeed) and the surgeon recommended that he have a section of bowel removed, have a temporary stoma bag, and then after 3 months have his bowel reattached to his anus. He had to have a blood drive as US hospitals were short of blood at the time.

Now the guy didn't even have cancerous lesions. I am sure the chances of dying from a birth field post surgical infection are far higher than dying of a potential cancer. 

I have not had a colonoscopy, nor will I have one, and if I die for bowel cancer then so be it, you have too die of something don't you? 

Geez that sounds scary !

No they won't be doing that to me if they find polyps !!!

I gather by your post though you are sceptical it should of been done ???

Edited by georgegeorgia

20 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I am dying of bowel cancer and wish I had not kept on putting off the colonoscopy. Had one done post surgery, complete nothingburger.

I'm sorry to hear that  💚💚💚

My condolences to you 

• Agree 1

It depends on your age or on your symptoms.

I am 33, and just done a colonoscopy two months ago because I was having rectal pain. All the process was perfect, just like the nurses and doctors. The price was around 8.000 baht.

(Don't worry, nobody will makes jokes of you)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zhounan said:

It depends on your age or on your symptoms.

I am 33, and just done a colonoscopy two months ago because I was having rectal pain. All the process was perfect, just like the nurses and doctors. The price was around 8.000 baht.

(Don't worry, nobody will makes jokes of you)

I can assure you the nurses and doctors do joke around when the patient is sedated even putting in classical music 

39 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I can assure you the nurses and doctors do joke around when the patient is sedated even putting in classical music 

It's quite remarkable that when someone with a posting history such as yours offers 'assurance' on on a fact your comment actually has the opposite impact and we know you are just making stuff up off the top of your head..... 

.... or....   did you get this information from watching Greys Anatomy, House or did the ex Surgeon tell you while at a secret bar... but you can't tell which bar it is cos's its secret and also where the Ex Special forces guys hang-out !!! :giggle:

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's quite remarkable that when someone with a posting history such as yours offers 'assurance' on on a fact your comment actually has the opposite impact and we know you are just making stuff up off the top of your head..... 

.... or....   did you get this information from watching Greys Anatomy, House or did the ex Surgeon tell you while at a secret bar... but you can't tell which bar it is cos's its secret and also where the Ex Special forces guys hang-out !!! :giggle:

Not the other end?

Not too subtle I hope?:tongue:

Edited by Thailand

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The doctor has recommended me to go for a colonoscopy

No reason just a check as I get old.

I'm thinking of waiting until I get to Thailand/Philippines in June 

But my questions to you are , is a colonoscopy needed if Yoh have no symptoms of bowel disorders?

Im scared to get this done as they have to put you to sleep apparently and they may talk about me and make jokes etc 

Almost everyone that gets a colonoscopy have no symptoms of bowel disorders. It is simply a routine diagnostic test to be done every 5 years and recommended for men starting at the age of 50. The problem with colon cancer is that it is a silent traveler, and, if left undetected by a colonoscopy,  then often it can be fatal when detected from symptoms that develop once the cancer is in a very progressed stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The doctor has recommended me to go for a colonoscopy

No reason just a check as I get old.

I'm thinking of waiting until I get to Thailand/Philippines in June 

But my questions to you are , is a colonoscopy needed if Yoh have no symptoms of bowel disorders?

If you are waiting until your return in June, from where are all your posts being concocted please?

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Maybe in the US, where clowns dance on TikTok.

Went to Calcutta for years,2 years apart, had the 2 scans same time, found cancer, gullet. Back to UK,told 6 months to live or surgery,12 hour op,   could not face it, so radiation,5 weeks of it, knocked me sideways,MRIs CT coming out of my ears, stomach stabbed  7 xs, sent cameras in, stomach wash out  ,no spread.

Money spent unreal, every day £100  taxi ride provided,  for 5 weeks,3 spells, long hospital,stays ,every which way   docs gps,nurses ,hosp appointments dozens of them, still going on

Throwing money at me £109 tax free  every week, plus another £80 weekly taxable every week  plus OAP,plus public sector pension, money when I don't need it.   Anyway seem to have OK,but scans will def save your life

I've had them done routinely every few on UK NHS since I turned 50. Always been very professional and done without sedation. I felt quite relaxed. Feels a little bit weird, but definitely not painful.

• Agree 2

Hello

Will undergo one (I had 4 previous already as there were colon cancer in my family).. Procedure is much more expensive in Thailand than in France)... got quotation 40.000 bahts here in Pattaya..even more in some hospitals

Have a good day

Ask for CEA test with your blood work. This is an indicator of bowel cancer. Not included in the standard blood tests.

There are also AFP (liver), CA19-9 (digestive) and PSA (prostate) indicators.

Still nothing safer than colonoscopy every five years. I started at 40, since both parents passed away from cancer.

The cost can vary a lot and price may not include all services, leading to surprising high bill afterwards. Shop around as the procedure is the same everywhere.