Guardiola calls for calm heads in Manchester derby

CharlieH

Manager Pep Guardiola says Manchester City must not be distracted by emotions in Sunday's derby against Manchester United at Etihad Stadium.

City, who won 3-0 at Old Trafford in October, are second in the Premier League, four places above United.

City are unbeaten in 18 games and United have lost only once this year.

"What I learn from my experience in these types of games is to be more calm, relax, don't talk about many things," Guardiola said.

"Just focus on tactics and what you have to do to beat them, not about emotions - because emotions will be there, without doubt."

League leaders Liverpool's dramatic 1-0 win at Nottingham Forest on Saturday moved them four points clear of City, who travel to Anfield on 10 March.

This is the first Manchester derby since Sir Jim Ratcliffe became co-owner of United.

He has said he wants to knock City "off their perch" within three years and described their 4-0 win over Real Madrid in last season's Champions League semi-final as "the best football I've seen".

City manager Pep Guardiola said it is a "complete honour" to receive praise from Ratcliffe.

"I just say 'thank you so much'," Guardiola said.

"Sometimes they are more than the titles, the compliments of the personalities that make this country, like Sir Jim Ratcliffe's comments. It is a complete honour for us.

"One can produce emotions and feelings for the players and our rivals. That helps to do our job. Thank you so much on behalf of all of us."

City have won five of the past six Premier League titles, while United's most recent came in 2013. Last year City matched their rivals' feat from 1998-99 by winning the Treble.

"The 80s was Liverpool, 90s United and now we have won seven Premier Leagues in the last 11 or 12 years," said Guardiola.

READ MORE

sPORT-bbc.png