Thai university lecturer tried to murder me and got away with it.

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

If you haven't received your pay for  daily compensation that should be done at the police station with the offender and insurance agent, you and the police officer that took the notes and wrote the confession which you should have a copy of. You can call that officer to request the "negotiation" and payment date be arranged or your insurance as it must be signed off on at the police station. At the very least I would demand that the offender apologize to you in front of everyone there before agreeing to take the compensation. I know this is the process as it happened to me about a month ago. 

I wasn't even allowed a copy of my own statement!

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the original Op, BritMan claimed that the driver who hit him admitted to doing so deliberately and there was a statement to such effect....  Even though BritMan can neither speak or read Thai (in previous threads he's claimed, why would he need to?, he never has any intention of mixing with Thai's).... so I'm wondering how he know what was in the Police Statement made by the Thai Driver... 

Yes.

However Britman last update states the police dropped the case.

His wife who is evidently well connected lost interest in going to court after being enthusiastic.

The police officer dealing with the case  died unexpectedly.

Whilst I don't dispute the accident occured , some of the other aspects are suspect 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wasn't even allowed a copy of my own statement!

If your insurance agent was there in the police station he got copies of everything or should have especially if the offenders insurance agreed to pay as they had to write up a report as well.  Its common that  these reports are made and no charges are filed after someone admits fault and an insurance company agrees to cover damages. Its considered that you were made whole again and no need to file charges or go to court. Press your insurance about it or their insurance with implication of requesting that charges be filed since the final compensation has not been given and no one has sign to close the incident.  They don't want to go to court either as its more money out of their pocket. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Dan O said:

If your insurance agent was there in the police station he got copies of everything or should have especially if the offenders insurance agreed to pay as they had to write up a report as well.  Its common that  these reports are made and no charges are filed after someone admits fault and an insurance company agrees to cover damages. Its considered that you were made whole again and no need to file charges or go to court. Press your insurance about it or their insurance with implication of requesting that charges be filed since the final compensation has not been given and no one has sign to close the incident.  They don't want to go to court either as its more money out of their pocket. 

I think in a previous post he said he only had the compulsory government insurance, which covered the hospital fees, the drivers insurance was paying for the bike repairs.

Edited by roo860

2 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I'm surprised insurance would pay if he confessed to road rage.   

Just the sort to teach Thai s

The report that got filed probably didn't admit to what was actually done. It was probably something along the lines that the offender admitted he didn't see the victim and ran into him and didnt realize there was an accident until sometime later and thats why he left the scene. Thats typical and what was done to me.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I think in a previous post he said he only had the compulsory government insurance, which covered the hospital fees, the drivers insurance was paying for the bike repairs.

Regardless an agent would have had to come to the station and write a report for the police. The police then take that report and copy it for there file to be opened but no charges have to be assigned. When the offender was caught and made a confession he and his insurance would be at the police station and the same sequence would occur with the offender admitting fault for not seeing the victim and that the insurance would be covering the accident.  Again a final negotiation meeting should be schedule at the police station for the compensation to be paid and both the victim and offender have to sign it and the insurance company is getting a copy for there files to show its closed.  I just went thru this a month ago and thats the process unless Britman doesn't contact the police to close it and get his compensation. The insurance will not press closing it as they save money if the compensation isn't paid and no charges were filed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No lawyer required as he signed a confession, it's up to the court to proceed.

Imagine what would happen to one of us foreigners if we ran down a Thai because 'we were angry'?

Your lawyer can push the case - even if the police have buried it.

21 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Its common that  these reports are made and no charges are filed after someone admits fault and an insurance company agrees to cover damages. Its considered that you were made whole again and no need to file charges or go to court.

Exactly. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

If I recall the original incident as reported by the OP. 

He was slowing down approaching red lights when hit in the rear by a vehicle.

This is a big step to make a claim of attempted murder , as opposed to just a traffic accident.

To satisfy the murder claim intent to kill would need to be established.

The Thai guy admitted to police ,he purposely ran into the motorcycle ,cause he was angry !

The Thai guy was interrogated by the police while The Op’s wife was there according  to the Op, she said he was  acting like it was no big deal .

The Thai guy used the car as a weapon to gain pay back and left the scene.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, riclag said:

The Thai guy admitted to police ,he purposely ran into the motorcycle ,cause he was angry !

The Thai guy was interrogated by the police while The Op’s wife was there according  to the Op, she said he was  acting like it was no big deal .

The Thai guy used the car as a weapon to gain pay back and left the scene.

This is the part that raises a red flag for me.

If this statement is accurate it would invalidate the drivers insurance.

An insurance company will not insure a criminal act.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, I'd also like to 'truthfully know' if this is what happened...    There is an example in the past of some rich boy ramming a bus shelter full of people because something angered him (can't find the exact story)...

That was "Mu Ham" who rammed his Merc into a crowded bus stop after an argument with the driver. Google him and you'll find many stories of it in the BP.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

This is the part that raises a red flag for me.

If this statement is accurate it would invalidate the drivers insurance.

An insurance company will not insure a criminal act.

Indeed, and why would he say something so incriminating, intead of trying to shift the blame or even claim he was provoked by the farang (whether true or not)?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Apparently, my misses thinks things are happening but very slowly.

(I've told her I won't be bringing anymore money into Thailand until this guy is in jail)

It's frustrating that a foreigner speaking rudely to a Thai doctor gets instant court action.

But a Thai attempting to kill a foreigner is not important!

What do you mean by "won't be bringing anymore money into Thailand"?

• Haha 2

Even if they did charge him......how do you know he will get a jail sentence?

In Australia  I'm sure they wouldn't, probably home detention for a few months and/or a good behaviour bond 

Please go the other way and forgive him !

Kill him with kindness of anger 

Revenge is sweet but please do it the kind way 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Goat said:

You sure he admitted attempted murder? Or just admitted he tried to knock you off your bike?

Thailand has never been colonised and part of the reason is the Thais stick together. I dont think it is a bad thing and has resulted in this country that we love so much we have decided to live here.

You have to take the good with the bad, and the good outweighs the bad by a mile. if it didnt we wouldnt be here.

What's with this 'we' nonsense?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So October last year a Thai lecturer from my local university followed my m/c and ran me down in his pickup, hit and run.

Apparently I bumped his car that made him angry, my injuries 5 broken ribs, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, much lost skin and damaged muscles.

The police traced him from traffic light video, and he admitted the attempted murder.

4 months later ........ nothing ............

Why can Thais try to murder foreigners an nothing happens?

But insult a Thai and you will be arrested and deported?

Are we less important than dogs?

(evidence, police video of the hit and run, signed confession by perp, his insurance agreeing to pay all my costs)

So you bumped his car... what led up to you bumping his car... mind you road rage is an ugly thing but it ALWAYS involves at least 2 drivers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:
10 hours ago, Dan O said:

Its common that  these reports are made and no charges are filed after someone admits fault and an insurance company agrees to cover damages. Its considered that you were made whole again and no need to file charges or go to court.

Exactly. 

Maybe BM2 just doesn't want to spend the next year or so dealing with police, lawyers, insurance people, and maybe the courts for possibly no further effect than current.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Russian who ran down and killed an American and a Luxembourger in Phuket in November was just sentenced to… nothing.  She got a 75k baht fine.

That’s it.  No actual penalty for killing two people.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear of all the injuries you have suffered and very best wishes for a full recovery. I'm afraid you have experienced the severe downside of life in Thailand. There is a far better side, but it doesn't appear anything like enough these days. ATB.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

You could file a civil lawsuit against him regardless of whether the government ever proceeds with a criminal case.

At least make him pay for it.  This seems to be the Thai way of settling stuff.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Maybe BM2 just doesn't want to spend the next year or so dealing with police, lawyers, insurance people, and maybe the courts for possibly no further effect than current.

That's understandable, in which case he should stop whinging that nothing is happening. 

(And after 8 pages he still hasn't explained how it started)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That's understandable, in which case he should stop whinging that nothing is happening. 

(And after 8 pages he still hasn't explained how it started)

Dare say it happened similar to this. Better look on the bright side! 

Screenshot_20240305-065328.jpg

Edited by Olmate
  • Like 1