Thai university lecturer tried to murder me and got away with it.

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That's understandable, in which case he should stop whinging that nothing is happening. 

(And after 8 pages he still hasn't explained how it started)

Hey -- but his topic has given others the opportunity to let the AN hoi polloi know just how successful they were in their various legal quandaries because they they were able to deploy their hi-level hi-so contacts.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Dare say it happened similar to this. Better look on the bright side! 

I suspect you may be right. We'll never know as it seems BM2 doesn't want to say.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Actually " When European colonial powers threatened in the 19th and 20th centuries, Thailand managed to escape as the only country not to fall under colonial rule. This was due to a compromise between the French and British to keep it as a neutral territory between them."

Then again in WW2 when Japan invaded Thailand. After about a week of resistance, Thailand agreed to  "partnership" with Japan (ie., Bridge over the River Kwai), thus avoiding a literal colonization.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Maybe BM2 just doesn't want to spend the next year or so dealing with police, lawyers, insurance people, and maybe the courts for possibly no further effect than current.

for the final compensation negotiation and payout it doesnt take years. It's done in 1 day. I dont believe I suggested going to court and if it were I wouldnt as Thai courts are not known for large compensation settlements for situations like this anyway, regardless of what your nationality is. As I stated. The police often view these situation as a non issue if insurance agrees to pay and the offender admits to being "at fault".  they see it as a equal fix for all and everyone is made whole and they dont do any more work. The confusion comes in the "confession". Often it's worded very loosely with no real admission of the facts. The insurance typically writes the statement and then the police copy it.

As an example I had this happen to me and rather than saying the truth in the confession that a person riding behind me in the center of the lane on a scooter decided to pass me on the left (wrong side) as I was turning left. My blinker was on a good 50 meters ahead of the turn but they didnt want to slow down or pass on the open lane to the right so they passed on the left during my turn and slammed into the truck, and slide down the whole length back to front. But come time to file the report it turned into they didnt see that I was turning because they were beside me when the collision happened and insurance would cover the damages. No charges to anyone, no real blame indicated. I was told by the police officer if we could not negotiate all the compensation and coverage then I could request that charges be filed and go to court but I would be charged at fault because the scooter had the right of way since they were going straight and I was turning and she was beside me when the collision occurred.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

IMHO driving over someone at 60kph is attempted murder.

You are more than welcome to suggest an alternative charge if your opinion is different.

The Thai court clearly think it isn't an offense worthy of their time and consideration.

You need a lawyer on your side to push. How many hi-so Thais do you see that get away with murder on a Thai. If you do not push for justice why should the Thais

23 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Actually " When European colonial powers threatened in the 19th and 20th centuries, Thailand managed to escape as the only country not to fall under colonial rule. This was due to a compromise between the French and British to keep it as a neutral territory between them."

You omit that Siam gave a considerable amount of land to both the British and the French to stop them colonising.

Plus the British had their hands full with Burma and Malaya and the French with Indochina. Even Britain had a limit as to how much land they could steal conquer with unfriendly natives in situ.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You omit that Siam gave a considerable amount of land to both the British and the French to stop them colonising.

Plus the British had their hands full with Burma and Malaya and the French with Indochina. Even Britain had a limit as to how much land they could steal conquer with unfriendly natives in situ.

Correct, part of Burma to the British and part of Laos and Cambodia to the French, I think Thailand lost about half of Cambodia. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:00 AM, bob smith said:

I always love reminding thais of this fact when their false sense of superiority rears it’s ugly head, usually after they have had a few drinks.

bob.

As you remind them with your false sense of superiority.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:36 AM, BritManToo said:

So October last year a Thai lecturer from my local university followed my m/c and ran me down in his pickup, hit and run.

Apparently I bumped his car that made him angry, my injuries 5 broken ribs, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, much lost skin and damaged muscles.

The police traced him from traffic light video, and he admitted the attempted murder.

4 months later ........ nothing ............

Why can Thais try to murder foreigners an nothing happens?

But insult a Thai and you will be arrested and deported?

Are we less important than dogs?

(evidence, police video of the hit and run, signed confession by perp, his insurance agreeing to pay all my costs)

How long were you in the hospital  ? How long till your ribs didn't hurt anymore?         Dogs are important but apparently not in Thailand.

Regardless of the confession you would still need a Lawyer.

you would have to constantly hound the police to get things moving, very difficult to pursue road accidents/criminal as a foreigner unless you can speak and read Thai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He also forgot the willful occupation by the Japanese in ww2

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thais are notoriously thin-skinned and protective of "face". Even sounding a horn here invites over-the-top retaliation.

I learnt that after not being in the country very long, I beeped my horn at a guy, just to make sure he was aware of my presence, man he went ape<deleted>, my mrs told me that Thais take exception to people sounding their horns at them, thin skinned or what.

• Like 1

Rough one, sorry to hear that. You kept a lid on that for a while...for a good reason I suppose.

I'd go private lawyer route regradless of automatic free process...

Edited by freedomnow

On 3/4/2024 at 5:55 PM, Banana7 said:

You need to follow-up and ensure things happen. Nobody is looking after you by default. You need to ensure justice prevails by hiring a lawyer or doing it yourself. The justice system is very busy and your case may get "lost" or given a very low priority.

When involved in a motor vehicle accident, there are multiple levels of claims: property damage, personal injury, pain and suffering, and loss of income and enjoyment. When you say insurance paid all of your costs, exactly what category of costs did they pay? Did you sign anything from the insurance company? Did they compensate you in each and every category stated here? You may have signed something without fully understanding the document that says you have been fully satisfied. Did you get all documents you signed, translated into English, by a certified translator, understand them and consult a lawyer, before signing them?

Once the police complete their investigation, the matter is normally forwarded to the public prosecutor, if the police feel it is a criminal matter. Has the investigation been completed? Did you get a copy of the investigation report? Has the public prosecutor's office received the police report? Who is the prosecutor assigned to your case? How and when will the case proceed, what are the next steps? Has the prosecutor decided that there is sufficient evidence to proceed with your case? If you don't know the answer to these questions, you may be implying, to the prosecutor, that the matter is not important to you. If it's not important to the victim, that maybe why things are moving slowly or not moving.

If you decide to show some interest and do some follow-up, I recommend that you talk softly, never raise your voice, be very polite, thankful, show appreciation. Document who you talk to, date, time, and contents of discussion. Be very persistent but never condescending or arrogant.

In addition to the preceding, specific important recommendations were made to you on October 25, 2023 in your original post of the accident. For your convenience here are 2 excerpts from that posting thread:

"DO NOT sign any police reports or other documents unless you agree completely with their contents. Get official certified translations into English. Avoid relying on a Police or insurance company interpreter."

"Make sure the driver gets charged with all offenses (causing bodily harm, property damage, speeding, hit and run, etc.) and these are recorded in the police report."

I know you're smart guy but I don't understand why you're sitting back and not managing the matter more proactively?

Here is your accident report thread:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1310155-hit-and-run-got-me-im-all-broken/page/5/#comment-18448558

Edited by Banana7

On 3/4/2024 at 12:32 PM, Neeranam said:

Still driving without a license? No sympathy for foreigners on motorbikes here that can't ride.

A Thai licence doesn't mean you are competent to ride. 

It only means you can legally ride.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
On 3/4/2024 at 12:32 PM, Neeranam said:

Still driving without a license? No sympathy for foreigners on motorbikes here that can't ride.

Expand  

A Thai licence doesn't mean you are competent to ride. 

It only means you can legally ride.

To be fair - that old thread is 10 years old... I'd imagine BritMan has a licence by now. 

But.. he's being very 'limited' with the facts and telling a very bias story of attempted murder.

Over so many pages of this thread and he's continuing to refuse to discuss the trigger point, which lends to the suspicious that he's less than innocent for his part in any escalation which triggered another driver to be angry enough to want to knock him off his motorbike. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 11:31 AM, noobexpat said:

Feels like you're still glossing over the reason why this bloke went crazy.

Yes....much more. Same thing happened to me in Penang. But it was a major conflict before that. And after the Chinese kid who chased me and ran me down didn't kill me, I beat the living <deleted> out of him on the street. The locals were impressed. And he had to pay me off. Much more to your little story. Plus whats with the girly profile photo?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Over so many pages of this thread and he's continuing to refuse to discuss the trigger point, which lends to the suspicious that he's less than innocent for his part in any escalation which triggered another driver to be angry enough to want to knock him off his motorbike. 

Maybe was messing ROUND WITH THE UNI STUDENTS?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Yes....much more. Same thing happened to me in Penang. But it was a major conflict before that. And after the Chinese kid who chased me and ran me down didn't kill me, I beat the living <deleted> out of him on the street. The locals were impressed. And he had to pay me off. Much more to your little story. Plus whats with the girly profile photo?

Ooooh, we have a hero on the thread! Always love when an anonymous hard man joins in on the internet.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

That's a strong accusation to level against the Thai university lecturer! 😱

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Ooooh, we have a hero on the thread! Always love when an anonymous hard man joins in on the internet.

Thank you, I can be your hero if you like.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That could be a reason, as I vividly recall BM2 posting about himself hanging around the University to look at the students and asking them whether they would be interested in prostitution and some of them taking up the offer . The University lecturer may have been trying to convince him to keep away from the Uni ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1