Thai university lecturer tried to murder me and got away with it.

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A bit of a cheap-shot...  Brit is clearly very literate, but has opinions that are hardly endearing to normal people but may be popular with single and bitter folks within the 'life sucks eco-chamber'... 

I mean in Thai.

Nothing to do with being white or brown, Thais who are illiterate get the same treatment.

If the police have decided not to press charges, could be a brown envelope was donated by said lecturer.

Civil action is a different matter. AFAIK the police are not involved. A good lawyer should be able to get you substantial damages for pain and suffering. The twerp may even settle out of court.

19 minutes ago, Screaming said:

Motorbikes are very dangerous in Thailand and are a death wish. I best thing for you is to never get on a bike again. Lesson learned.

100%

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As you did not die or suffer permanent disability, and the medical costs have been paid,  the police likely feel that the matter is settled.

Odds of them prosecuting in a case that did not result in death or permanent disability are very, very  slim.  Just not how things work in Thailand. Even when death or lifelong disability results, police will often try to negotiate a financial settlement between the parties rather than refer for prosecution.

Even if this were in the West, you can't prove his intention. He could (and likely would) claim he hit you unintentionally.

Let it drop is my advice. If you want you an visit police and ask about status of the case, they will likely be surprised since they think it is all resolved. And will think that, if not satisfied, it must be that you want more money. which you have little chance of getting and which would still mean no prosecution.

As for others' recommendation of getting a lawyer, only going to cost you money IMO with little or nothing to gain.

I approve your advice it is the only solution to his problem.

Edited by BE88
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OR, as I suspect, have you simply sat back and let everyone else get on with it... and as your medical bills etc are all covered the police consider the matter closed and can't be bothered to pursue criminal action because that takes effort, and why bother with that effort when no one is there pushing them....  ???? (i.e. you have not filed any legal complaint).

Have you even gone as far as filing a police report / complaint against the driver BritMan ???   

I suspect not, but that also means you have no right to say the police are treating you differently because you are a foreigner, the simple fact is, you are behaving differently because you are a foreigner and not filing any legal complaint - the cause of inaction is your own inaction. 

Did everything required at the police station, police said next step was the DPP (whatever they call that here).

I have no further interest, apart from being in a position to be personally guiltless when he successfully kills his next victim.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Even if this were in the West, you can't prove his intention. He could (and likely would) claim he hit you unintentionally.

Apart from him signing a confession admitting he did it deliberately.

But agree with you on everything else.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My gov min insurance agreed to run a tab up to 30kbht at my local hospital 2 days after the hit.

His 1st class insurance agreed to pay for everything the day after the police tracked him own (about a week after the hit), pay my m/c repairs, pay my medical bills, pay me a daily compensation until medical care no longer required.

Not sure who picked up the hospital bill in the end, was only 13kbht, government hospitals are cheap.

His insurance paid 25kbht for the m/c repair direct to Honda.

Waiting on the daily compensation payment  as I was only given the medical all clear 2 weeks back.

Unlike the Thais, I'm not that interested in making money out of this, but would prefer to see a custodial sentence handed out just to stop him doing this to someone else. If he ain't punished, he'll do it again, and maybe succeed next time.

IMO being stung with a judgment of hundreds of thousands of baht for pain and suffering in a civil action would be just as effective as a jail term.

Perhaps you lack the resources to pursue him in a court. From your description, all the evidence is on your side.

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My frustration is about the 'doctor kicker' and the 'glass thrower' getting immediate fines for trivial offences against Thais.

But Thais being able to kill, beat and steal from foreigners with impunity.

The doctor and  whose daughter in Bangkok? The affair has become political where even the PM is implicated, doesn't this situation seem strange to you.

Strangely enough now that Switzerland is discussing the free movement of goods and finance with Switzerland.

The more we get to the bottom of this matter the more we are getting out of a normal argument without excusing this idiotic and stupid Swiss who deserves prison.

Edited by BE88

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO being stung with a judgment of hundreds of thousands of baht for pain and suffering in a civil action would be just as effective as a jail term.

Perhaps you lack the resources to pursue him in a court. From your description, all the evidence is on your side.

I lack the will to do pretty much anything these days.

I'm not really much of a gambler, do I bet my money on getting more back that I don't really need? .......... no way.

Would I be a witness in a prosecution to get him 5 years in jail? .......... absolutely.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No requirement to tell you anything.

But there is... you are posted your story and some readers have questions... such as 'exactly how firm was the 'contact' from your bag to the car' ?? and did you apologise immediately ?

People are alluding to the point that it could be your attitude that allowed the situation to escalate from 'bag brush' to 'vehicular assault.....     In much the same manner you reply here "No requirement to tell you anything"...  Was your attitude at the time after the 'bag brush with the car... "No requirement to apologise for anything as people get their car knocked all the time"....

(Just highlighting an example of how your attitude may have led to an escalation - you clearly feel the 'bag brushing his car' was nothing... but have avoided any detailed explanation of the extent or how hard the bag hit / brushed the car (and no - this in no way condones the drivers response).

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My frustration is about the 'doctor kicker' and the 'glass thrower' getting immediate fines for trivial offences against Thais.

But Thais being able to kill, beat and steal from foreigners with impunity.

You are frustrated, rightly so, but are allowing your negative bias to exclude important facts. 

In the case of the 'Doctor kicker' the victim filed charges......  In your case, you have not filed any charges... thus you are part of the reason and have enabled the 'impunity' you so object to. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The police traced him from traffic light video, and he admitted the attempted murder.

(evidence, police video of the hit and run, signed confession by perp, his insurance agreeing to pay all my costs)

As has been said previously, sympathy for your nasty experience but it was a hit and run charge, not an "attempted murder" charge, yes?   Did you stop to acknowledge responsibility immediately after your initially colliding with his vehicle, which is what you appear to be reporting?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not really much of a gambler, do I bet my money on getting more back that I don't really need? .......... no way.

You're probably right, someone once told me the only people who make money in courts are the lawyers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As has been said previously, sympathy for your nasty experience but it was a hit and run charge, not an "attempted murder" charge, yes?

Apparenty no charge brought, that is OP's complaint.

But yes I do nto think for a minute the driver's confession stated he specifically intended to kill. Rather that he ran into the moto out of anger.

Was there an opportunity to stop the bike and at least acknowledge the knock? - knowing that i've just angered a car driver behind me would be unsettling.

Maybe even the smallest gesture could have prevented his rage.

Maybe it wasn't the knock but the lack of acknowledgement that caused his actions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As has been said previously, sympathy for your nasty experience but it was a hit and run charge, not an "attempted murder" charge, yes?

He admitted it was deliberate.

Hit and run is normally an accident.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Britman, I feel your frustration. The rules certainly are different (or enforced differently) here.

Reading all of these posts from other forum members talking about 'what you did' to enrage this guy , knocking his car with your super sized makro shopping bag, you're not telling the whole story, etc, and that you need to take matters into your own hands further to attempt to prosecute this guy ...  is seriously annoying me. (and the memory of some of these people - wow!)

As Stoner said "victim blame much"

Glad you are on the mend and able to get out on the bike again.

Exactly! I wouldn’t wish his dilemma and road rage hit & run experience on a dog ! This forum is valuable at times!

Where else can a Falang go to air out Thai living , GOOD & BAD!

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Was there an opportunity to stop the bike and at least acknowledge the knock? - knowing that i've just angered a car driver behind me would be unsettling.

Maybe even the smallest gesture could have prevented his rage.

Maybe it wasn't the knock but the lack of acknowledgement that caused his actions.

If I'd known he was following me, he'd never have caught up with me.

My misses was at the police station when he was interviewed, says he was laughing and joking about running down a foreigner and telling everyone they couldn't touch him. Says the police whispered to her to let him carry on as they were writing it all down. His insurance agent was with him, before insurance claimed my fault, after that interview his insurance agreed to pay everything and then proceeded to do all negotiations direct with my wife.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Really, we have to kiss their asses so we don't get run over?

Thais are notoriously thin-skinned and protective of "face". Even sounding a horn here invites over-the-top retaliation.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It is this apathy that the police have picked up on, they're not interesting in pushing criminal charges against this guy if you can't be bothered to push for an outcome. 

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would I be a witness in a prosecution to get him 5 years in jail? .......... absolutely.

Thus, if you want this outcome, then get a lawyer and push for it.

This is not a case of 'Farang will always loose'....     This is currently a case of 'farang can't be bothered' so has no right to complain that he's loosing... 

If all the reports are in your favour, you clearly have a strong case, and then the Police may have to push for criminal action too. 

Or...  its tail between the legs and give up...  also fair enough if thats your preference, but then don't use this as an example of unfair treatment, because the one to blame for this is you - its the same if a Thai were hit, after the the medical bills, they'd get nothing unless they legally pushed further. 

• Thanks 1

a Thai lecturer from my local university followed my m/c and ran me down in his pickup, hit and run.

Apparently I bumped his car that made him angry

"...followed my m/c... I bumped his car that made him angry".

Sounds as though this was initiated by your hit and run!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...followed my m/c... I bumped his car that made him angry".

Sounds as though this was initiated by your hit and run!

You're absolutely right, in any trivial car accident the aggrieved party has the right to murder whoever touched his precious car.

If I were sitting on your step, would you have the right to kick me to death?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He admitted it was deliberate.

Hit and run is normally an accident.

So he admitted, and was charged with, hit and run, not "attempted murder"?  Am I reading that correctly?   But you hit his vehicle with your bike first and did not stop, i.e. a hit and run, hence why he had to chase after you?  That's how your OP reads.

• Agree 2