Safest country during WWIII?

3 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

What, and give up beer and bacon?

I stopped drinking beer about 12 months ago and another poster mention the virgins are possibly not human so I might luck out and they are sows !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

You realise that if they sent troops that would mean a declaration of war against Russia and hence WWIII ?

Russia has said it reserves the right to use nukes if it's territory is threatened ( same as all other nuclear bomb wielding nations)

So where will they stop Russia? Calais?

24 minutes ago, bradiston said:

So where will they stop Russia? Calais?

Russia wants to secure its western border  they have taken almost 20% of Ukraine in the Donbas and Crimea regions to that end, there is absolutely no sign they want to advance any further west let alone all the way to Calais.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Russia wants to secure its western border  they have taken almost 20% of Ukraine in the Donbas and Crimea regions to that end, there is absolutely no sign they want to advance any further west let alone all the way to Calais.

Not to forget Georgias border 20%, Chechnya, and a few Stan countries, 

43 minutes ago, johng said:

Their western borders were already secure. This is just a land grab and total destruction of Ukraine. Securing their borders my ass. And what was Medvedev shouting about recently? The whole of Ukraine is Russian? Anybody that cant read Putin's real intentions is blind. Expansion and control. Europe is paralysed with fear. Caught in the headlights. Terrified, in short. The most shocking post WWII capitulation to the old soviet bloc.

44 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Not to forget Georgias border 20%, Chechnya, and a few Stan countries, 

And the Baltic countries who have been screaming at the rest of the EU since way before this war broke out about the Russian threat to their borders. They suffered under soviet communism like central Europe. Fortunately their memories are longer than Hungary's, for instance.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It amuses me that those with TDS 

It amuses me that in 8+ years, none of you nitwits could think up joke #2.

I'm just gonna write off your autism-speak of "Orange Man Bad".

Hmmm, well to concur with others, if a full scale nuclear war was indeed to happen, let me be at ground zero and vaporize me in a second.

Regardless of where you were the ensuing nuclear winter would reduce humanity to some primeval state. 

We watch post apocalypse TV shows and movies as fiction, but after a real nuclear war pretty much what the world would be headed for

Posted (edited)

Baltic countries have very good intelligence and are fluent in Russian and how Russia operates.

https://news.err.ee/1609274853/lithuanian-intelligence-russia-preparing-for-long-confrontation-with-nato

"Belarusian armed forces personnel are preparing to work with nuclear weapons."

"Placing non-strategic nuclear weapons in Belarus ties it even more closely to Russia and strengthens the latter's determination to maintain control over Belarus at any cost," the report states."

Edited by GypsyT

20 hours ago, JGon said:

I agree as well that the "nuclear winter" if triggered... it will only last a few years (Not decades) based on the amount of energy of the entire World's nuclear arsenal yields. Is a good thing we abandoned the Tsar Bomba idea... there are things that are definitely overkill.

As for Supervolcanoes genetic studies of humans traced our lineage to a few thousand humans around 74,000 years ago. Something cataclysmic happened during that time that we almost went extinct. That something happens to be the Toba supervolcano just a few hundred miles south of  Phuket (and yes the caldera is almost as big as that red circle).    

Untitled5.png

Great post - I looked into that occurance and it explains a lot. The one on NZ 27K years ago was nowhere near that big. Lets hope there aint another one in the next few thousand years - until humans are inhabiting Mars and other planets.

19 hours ago, bradiston said:

What gives you that impression? Sunak? Huh? Leyden? Seriously? Seems like you have the mentality, not them. Pure projection. They wouldn't even send troops or air cover to Ukraine let alone nuclear weapons. Never called Nukin's bluff. Now he's rehearsed for a full on European invasion.

A full European invasion???   Mate - take it easy - you'll have a heart attack. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, johng said:

That won't stop the usual suspects proclaiming that Putin isn't going to stop till he is in Washington.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

A full European invasion???   Mate - take it easy - you'll have a heart attack. 

Nah. Just looking at various scenarios. I'm fascinated to see how this plays out now. Sure, I was incensed by Russia's invasion of Ukraine but now? What can I do? Let the European politicians deal with Putin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Putin isn't going to stop till he is in Washington.

Putin needs to do nothing.

American voters take care of putting Putin's man in with his 1/2 Russian kids and 100% son in law 🙂

17 hours ago, bradiston said:

Their western borders were already secure. This is just a land grab and total destruction of Ukraine. Securing their borders my ass. And what was Medvedev shouting about recently? The whole of Ukraine is Russian? Anybody that cant read Putin's real intentions is blind. Expansion and control. Europe is paralysed with fear. Caught in the headlights. Terrified, in short. The most shocking post WWII capitulation to the old soviet bloc.

Strategic land grabs, do not underestimate his reasons to show every allie and possible futeres allies how weak the west is, and also test our alliances. I do not believe his goal is to take over former soviet countries, but strategic pieces for sure. Turkey and Hungary is our week countries in our alliance, Georgia and quite a few others could be at risk, since many of those countries have internal problems, and it is just a matter who is winning the next elections. 

Everyonene predicted a short war, and here we are. How strong he is in Russia we really do mot know, but he is still in lead surrounded with strong support from other strong politician's. It doesnt look like his position is threatened. 

What is the real numbers on the losses of russian  soldiers? 350 000? 400 000? And 1,2 million wounded, other sources operates with 40 000 killed and 400 000 wounded. Nobody knows, and it doesnt seem to stop the russians yet. 

400 000 is a high number and hard to believe is possible. 

54 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Putin needs to do nothing.

American voters take care of putting Putin's man in with his 1/2 Russian kids and 100% son in law 🙂

Trump will be a disaster for Ukraines future, but my best guess, donbass and Crimea, will stay in Russians hands when this is all over.

Edited by Hummin

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Turkey and Hungary is our week countries in our alliance

Hungary, Yes, but Turkey is one of the strongest in the world!

"The GFP index denotes Turkiye as a Top 10 global military power. For 2024, Turkiye is ranked 8 of 145 out of the countries considered for the annual GFP review."

7 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Hungary, Yes, but Turkey is one of the strongest in the world!

"The GFP index denotes Turkiye as a Top 10 global military power. For 2024, Turkiye is ranked 8 of 145 out of the countries considered for the annual GFP review."

I ment our weakest links in the alliance, 

46 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I ment our weakest links in the alliance, 

Yes, Erdogan is a Snake Oil salesman. And Putin's pal.

He's milking billions of Euros a year from EU for refuge camps, which are very well run, but his own citizens are starving...

2 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Yes, Erdogan is a Snake Oil salesman. And Putin's pal.

He's milking billions of Euros a year from EU for refuge camps, which are very well run, but his own citizens are starving...

At the same time Turkey is a strategic allied who creates a buffer zone between middle east and Europe, and he know to use it for his adventage.

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Nah. Just looking at various scenarios. I'm fascinated to see how this plays out now. Sure, I was incensed by Russia's invasion of Ukraine but now? What can I do? Let the European politicians deal with Putin.

OK.  I was not as negative about the 'invasion' or 'occupation' or 'liberation' depending on how anyone views the matter, but I was certainly extremely worried how things might progress and the number of people who would die.  IMO NATO and USA pushed Russia too far - not that what they did was acceptable. It was one thi9ng to support a coup that removed the elected President which is response Russia immediately anxed (took back) Crimea. But they provoked 'The Bear' too far when they agreed to Ukraine becoming a part of NATO.  In the end I think Russia will retain eastern Ukraine (Donbass etc), and western Ukraine will join NATO. There will be a bit of give and take over which way certain localities/cities go such that it will be technically a lose/lose for both sides, but overall that will be a win for NATO and EU and the world.

It is ridiculous to think that Russia can be defeated on their 'home soil' - from Mogols to Napoleon to Hitler and many others in between - they have never been defeated on home soil. Most people do not know how big Russia is - they have 11 time zones.  Many people do not realise how hard they will fight to the death - down to nearly every man and woman.  When Napoleon invaded Russia, and he did the best ever, the Russians gave up Moscow and burnt it to the ground - the city burned for days. They then embarked on a campaign of guerilla warfare and destruction against Napoleon's army unlike any other see before or since.  They did that because they knew it would destroy Napoleon's army in trying to keep the city with winter approaching - and they knew it would weaken his resolve - and it did - he .  What is the point of conquering a country that will abandon and burn down its cities? You have more chance of defeating the Afghanistanioans on their home soil than ever conquering Russia. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

It is ridiculous to think that Russia can be defeated on their 'home soil'

If that happens that would be end of USA.

If US can't handle 1 million Mexicans, half of them working, think of 150 000 000 Russians on welfare...

Pretty empty victory.

Edited by GypsyT
  • Like 2

Big island of Hawaii. It's unlikely to be in the crosshairs of a nuclear strike and you can conceivably live off the land if you have to.  Plus, it's a beautiful place to live.

Maui is another possibility, because then you can run over to Mark Zukerberg's bunker if trouble occurs. I doubt that he'd let you in though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Plus, it's a beautiful place to live.

That's what I thought but then, just after I sold the land in 2013, similar to this happened;

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/12/us/kilauea-volcano-lava-leilani-estates-hawaii.html

I was lucky...

Today land is again very expensive. People forget Kilauea is the most active and the whole island may go up in smoke.

Maui is even more expensive.

But if you got money to burn Hawaii is a good place to die. I still am Hawaii land owner; I have a cemetery spot in Kealakekua 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaywalker2 said:

Big island of Hawaii. It's unlikely to be in the crosshairs of a nuclear strike and you can conceivably live off the land if you have to.  Plus, it's a beautiful place to live.

Maui is another possibility, because then you can run over to Mark Zukerberg's bunker if trouble occurs. I doubt that he'd let you in though.

Both places will turn in to outlaw states where you have no ethnicity belonging if mainland is cut off. Same for westerners in Asia, not our people, not our home, and where do you think the frustrations and anger going to be channeled towards? 

Covid fresh in mind, asians in the states. If no law and order protected the asians, what then?