Safest country during WWIII?

27 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I said , I would catch one, but they never say where it is coming down. So better stay put, it just takes seconds to be blown away.

If they put on in the middle of "my country", it will be all gone and some surrounding states as well.

If you read about Nagasaki and Hiroshima, you realize a few bombs would not be the end, but if Ragnarok goes off, nobody will survive, simple as that. Estimates is around 400 war heads of a surtain size. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The only thing I was agree with in all that is ..........  You have no idea.  That is all cut and past anti-Russia hate and rhetoric written by people no even alive during WW2. 

Not a single cut and paste there. I was alive throughout the post war cold war. You don't know your history at all. There can't be many people around now who were alive during WWII, certainly not to write about it, so that's a silly remark. Were you in Europe during the cold war even? You still have faith in Russian leaders? Why? I know why people argue the Russian side. Because they hate their own country's, or America's, politicians/politics. That's not the same thing as a vote for Putin, at all. Putin is a menace. I don't think there's anyone else on the planet, apart from the North Korean nut, who comes close.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

So you agree USA is also wrong? You agree that they are both wrong? If that is true, then we are in agreement - but it came across as if you were saying Putrin/Russia is bad and USA is all good and never did the same and more of it. 

That was then. This is now. We're talking about the current situation, the invasion of Ukraine. I've laid out my feelings about it and Putin. I don't get the guys who shout out for Putin because they don't like NATO. Or the US. Or some other feature of western civilization (the Uffizzi? Rome? Mozart? Shakespeare? The Grateful Dead? Democracy? Whatever!). It's irrelevant unless you're really prepared to back up your point of view and go and join the Russian army. Playing devil's advocate is just a counsel of despair. There's everything to fight for. To hell with Putin. He's a frigging menace.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Who would want to be in the safest country during WW3? Not me. I want to be in whatever country the nukes drop first. I want to go out with the first wave. I don't want to possibly survive and live in some post apocalyptic dystopian sh*thole of a planet.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

Who would want to be in the safest country during WW3? Not me. I want to be in whatever country the nukes drop first. I want to go out with the first wave. I don't want to possibly survive and live in some post apocalyptic dystopian sh*thole of a planet.

I want to be around to see what happens.

I'll be in New Zealand's highest hill overlooking the sea. Lot of fresh wind will thin out nukes.

I'll eat lamb chops and live deep down in earth cave with Kiwi girl friend(s).

They are very nice and know what man wants... got taste of few in London's Kensington Hotel in early '80s.

They were starving students working part time there as night clerks and said; "If you pay cash we give you better room and later come to see you are comfortable". 

Who can turn down such an offer? Not me!

Yes - they were nice!

• Confused 2

There's a big difference between the 1940s and today... and that difference is nowadays we have a certain group of "people" who hate the World, don't have any children or grandchildren and don't care about the future. In their mind we are overpopulated and wouldn't mind if a few billion of us would be gone (Kind of like that Thanos character from the Marvel movies). They are extinctionist, there's a few in this very forum... and of course spread through many countries... and the scary part is many a billionaires or CEO of a huge tech company. Now imagine people like that in charge of nuclear weapons. They don't care about the future... they would push AI without regulation, or put more chemicals in our food... and if given the chance consider nuclear weapons as an option.    

Edited by JGon

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

I want to be around to see what happens.

I'll be in New Zealand's highest hill overlooking the sea. Lot of fresh wind will thin out nukes.

I'll eat lamb chops and live deep down in earth cave with Kiwi girl friend(s).

They are very nice and know what man wants... got taste of few in London's Kensington Hotel in early '80s.

They were starving students working part time there as night clerks and said; "If you pay cash we give you better room and later come to see you are comfortable". 

Who can turn down such an offer? Not me!

Yes - they were nice!

Nice dream. Don't let the gangs catch you and make you a slave, as they will take over the country within a couple of days, thanks to cindy removing all the guns from the law abiding.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, JGon said:

There's a big difference between the 1940s and today... and that difference is nowadays we have a certain group of "people" who hate the World, don't have any children or grandchildren and don't care about the future. In their mind we are overpopulated and wouldn't mind if a few billion of us would be gone (Kind of like that Thanos character from the Marvel movies). They are extinctionist, there's a few in this very forum... and of course spread through many countries... and the scary part is many a billionaires or CEO of a huge tech company. Now imagine people like that in charge of nuclear weapons. They don't care about the future... they would push AI without regulation, or put more chemicals in our food... and if given the chance consider nuclear weapons as an option.    

I certainly think the planet has too many people, but that is because I love the planet and having too many people is destroying it.

IMO it's irrelevant if we cull ourselves or the planet does, but I can't see a future where humans exceed 20 billion, without a major extinction event happening.

BTW, in 1950 there were less than 3 billion people on the planet.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I certainly think the planet has too many people, but that is because I love the planet and having too many people is destroying it.

IMO it's irrelevant if we cull ourselves or the planet does, but I can't see a future where humans exceed 20 billion, without a major extinction event happening.

We would never reach that figure. We are bound to peak maybe at half that figure by the end of this century... if not decline at the end of the century. We are simply not having enough children. Certainly the vast majority of "First World" countries are already peaking or started to decline.

5 minutes ago, JGon said:

We would never reach that figure. We are bound to peak maybe at half that figure by the end of this century... if not decline at the end of the century. We are simply not having enough children. Certainly the vast majority of "First World" countries are already peaking or started to decline.

More than made up for by countries in the "third" world. You know, all those that are trying to get into Europe and The USA illegally.

I'm all against illegal immigration (here I am in Thailand legally and I would never jeopardize that for my wife and son) but the reality is those third world countries will one day rule society because if we are not having children... they are. Eventually as their countries advance they will also stop having children... and maybe we are the third world countries. Is all about numbers... We need 2.1 children per couple to sustain a population and we are not there... but they are. Tribalism will always be present because humans in general are not intelligent enough to overcome that. 

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

If you read about Nagasaki and Hiroshima, you realize a few bombs would not be the end, but if Ragnarok goes off, nobody will survive, simple as that. Estimates is around 400 war heads of a surtain size. 

If you read about what they are today, then the Japanese received bombs were just fire crackers.

Fatman was 22 kT and now they have 455 kT to 800 kT, just a "little" increase in power.

In that time there were only 2 of them, now there are 12512 of them. USA and Russia leaders with a whopping amount of resp. 5244 and 5889 pieces. And that is already  a way lower number then the 80 ties, when they had 70000 pieces.

Just some numbers to be found, you will never know what they really have. 

Imagine, in Yellowstone park there is the biggest mega volcano, could it be activated by dropping that bomb 800 kT?

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world, o yeaaaaah.

Interactive International map of Arms imports........Ukraine +6.633% armed imports .......and default failed State! 

Hungary +747

Polland +253%

Romania +180%

Yugoslavia (Serbia) +584%

Bulgaria +920%

Lithuania +489%

Sweden +206%

Czcechia +3.125%

Switzerland and Liechtenstein microstates are omitted because they .....export arms......!!!

Source:

Steep rise in European arms imports

Arms imports by European states were 94% higher in 2019–23 than in 2014–18

https://www.sipri.org/visualizations/2024/steep-rise-european-arms-imports?utm_source=phpList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=For+Immediate+Release%3A+European+arms+imports+nearly+double%2C+US+and+French+exports+rise%2C+and+Russian+exports+fall+sharply—New+SIPRI+data&utm_content=HTML

Edited by Paris333

18 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

If you read about what they are today, then the Japanese received bombs were just fire crackers.

Fatman was 22 kT and now they have 455 kT to 800 kT, just a "little" increase in power.

In that time there were only 2 of them, now there are 12512 of them. USA and Russia leaders with a whopping amount of resp. 5244 and 5889 pieces. And that is already  a way lower number then the 80 ties, when they had 70000 pieces.

Imagine, in Yellowstone park there is the biggest mega volcano, could it be activated by dropping that bomb 800 kT?

Most realistic, smaller tactical bombs will be used. Anything else is suicide.

If Yellowstone blows up, we are back in the numbers of stone age, so who really cares, we live today, die tomorrow, the future is out of my hands, so better make every day count. 

31 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If Yellowstone blows up, we are back in the numbers of stone age, so who really cares, we live today, die tomorrow, the future is out of my hands, so better make every day count. 

Well thats the best thing we could do, just live by the day and make it worthwhile, while we can.

Im already out of the rush society, but feeling bored. 

Years are adding up and it will not go down. Have to make up my decision to live in Thailand.

And if I compare nowadays pro's and cons, maybe better in Thailand then "my country".

I understood Thailand is now hot, my Thai wife is even complaining about it. However here it is 8 degrees, clouded.

SO I do the same to her, it is cold hahaha. 

Probably the place where she lives also will have less effect of bombing, however moslims arent happy and now and then some explosions, but still enough far away.

5 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Well thats the best thing we could do, just live by the day and make it worthwhile, while we can.

Im already out of the rush society, but feeling bored. 

Years are adding up and it will not go down. Have to make up my decision to live in Thailand.

And if I compare nowadays pro's and cons, maybe better in Thailand then "my country".

I understood Thailand is now hot, my Thai wife is even complaining about it. However here it is 8 degrees, clouded.

SO I do the same to her, it is cold hahaha. 

Probably the place where she lives also will have less effect of bombing, however moslims arent happy and now and then some explosions, but still enough far away.

My wife thrives in the cold, just one thing missing, and thats her family. My wife is more happy home, than any other place. Be it big nice house with sea view Thailand or Europe, Isan at our farm her dreamplace and her best choice getting dirt on her fingers. I can cope with that as long as I have health for it, but next year we will go off grid, so I can use aircon 24/7, even on my 2. Floor balcony, wich we will build in now with double glazing. Making an indoor outside room. But Im making a plan for my 70'ies in 15 years time, to leave Isaan. Now we travel during the heat and smoke season, and partly rain season, and I will not give up work even I can before I have to. 

4 hours ago, Paris333 said:

Interactive International map of Arms imports........Ukraine +6.633% armed imports .......and default failed State! 

Hungary +747

Polland +253%

Romania +180%

Yugoslavia (Serbia) +584%

Bulgaria +920%

Lithuania +489%

Sweden +206%

Czcechia +3.125%

Switzerland and Liechtenstein microstates are omitted because they .....export arms......!!!

Source:

Steep rise in European arms imports

Arms imports by European states were 94% higher in 2019–23 than in 2014–18

https://www.sipri.org/visualizations/2024/steep-rise-european-arms-imports?utm_source=phpList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=For+Immediate+Release%3A+European+arms+imports+nearly+double%2C+US+and+French+exports+rise%2C+and+Russian+exports+fall+sharply—New+SIPRI+data&utm_content=HTML

Here's another write up of the same figures.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/3/11/fear-of-china-russia-and-iran-is-driving-weapons-sales-report?fbclid=IwAR1Jv0KHt1fQCCFIaK3oSOHIkOiGyDNnxMxa8kuhkkrv6kqMF4Fdtf6v3Bo

Europe is arming itself, as the perception is, and not surprisingly, Russia, or Putin rather, can't be trusted. The quality of Russian armaments is low. India has stopped buying them. China is a very minor exporter. It's an interesting article.

NZ is a Western nation and if there was a full-on exchange of strategic warheads it would not be spared, since Putin/Xi despise everything West and would want all main infrastructure gone. Only way you'd survive is if you're well out of the way in somewhere like Oz and are self-sufficient. You would then need to fight off your fellow countrymen because it would be pretty much dog eat dog. Just as well hole up here, but I'm with Charlie... pick yourself a good spot on a hill with a beer near a major city and watch them suckers come in! 

Edited by daveAustin
  • Agree 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:44 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Here's a thought. The only 2 atom bombs ever made were dropped in Japan, but that scared the leaders so much that they all got together and decided never to make another one, but to pretend that they were making thousands to frighten the peasants consumer units so that they could steal loads of tax payer money to have a good time on.

I bet not a one of you has ever been on a test site to see if the ones they claimed to be testing ever happened.

IMO the great game is BS that the 1% play to keep themselves amused and make megabucks.

PS. I'm not claiming that my theory is fact- I'd just prefer it to actually blowing the planet up.

On 3/12/2024 at 12:06 AM, Hummin said:

Small bombs beget bigger one in return and before we know it, they send the really big ones. Never trust a military man to not use the best toys, even if it means the end of everything. "We had to destroy the planet to save it".

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/12/2024 at 8:23 PM, daveAustin said:

NZ is a Western nation and if there was a full-on exchange of strategic warheads it would not be spared, since Putin/Xi despise everything West and would want all main infrastructure gone. Only way you'd survive is if you're well out of the way in somewhere like Oz and are self-sufficient. You would then need to fight off your fellow countrymen because it would be pretty much dog eat dog. Just as well hole up here, but I'm with Charlie... pick yourself a good spot on a hill with a beer near a major city and watch them suckers come in! 

Err, given NZ has no military capability to resist a Chinese invasion, they don't need to destroy it. As the best use they can get out of it is to grow food they are unlikely to nuke it.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Err, given NZ has no military capability to resist a Chinese invasion, they don't need to destroy it. As the best use they can get out of it is to grow food they are unlikely to nuke it.

New Zealand? Who want to invade NZ?

Edited by Hummin

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 7:37 PM, Hummin said:

New Zealand? Who want to invade NZ?

China.

NZ is a sparsely populated country with a large agricultural industry. China currently pays NZ to send food to China, but if it owned NZ it wouldn't have to pay.

• Confused 1

On 3/4/2024 at 7:04 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

and when they finally emerge from their bunkers some of us will be there to give them a warm welcome into the brave new world they didn't expect.

Mad-Max-3-Beyond-Thunderdome-1985-featured.jpg