Durability of Chinese EVs

34 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Happy owner of 4 BEV’s and 1 PHEV here.  No issues ever on the BEV’s.

I should have said, No issues ever on the 3 BEV’s from China. 

A German BEV was trailered  back to the main dealer in Bangkok 2 times for air conditioning failures.

The German PHEV was trailered back to the main dealer in Chiang Mai once for a failed infotainment system.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I should have said, No issues ever on the 3 BEV’s from China. 

A German BEV was trailered  back to the main dealer in Bangkok 2 times for air conditioning failures.

The German PHEV was trailered back to the main dealer in Chiang Mai once for a failed infotainment system.

Better not to buy anything from the German Auto Mafia.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The OP was asking about Chinese EVs not BEV v Ice. My take is.... who really cares about longevity of a car, especially 20 years. All cars will require TLC after 10. Isn't the prevailing wisdom that 4 years or 60k miles is the optimum time to renew before it becomes uneconomical with maintenence costs? I'm sure BEV stretch that out a bit though regardless of where it was made.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

VW just been taken to court for the loss of $500 million after the EV fire on the carrier ship Felicity Ace - 'nuff said.

Something that has not been ruled on - so not "'nuff said"

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I don't have an electric car, but I do have experience of an electric scooter that has put me off an EV.

While it's convenient, quiet and fun, it's range has reduced significantly over one year of ownership.

It has a lithium battery and a smart charger, and at first an overnight charge would give me about 30km range (claimed range was 40km).

After 12 months the range has dropped to about 15km.  And the battery behaviour has also changed .... it shows full charge for about 14km, then suddenly drops into the red and stops.

It may take longer for an electric car to have the same issue, but my experience with other battery devices such as phones and cameras makes me believe that current battery tech has longevity issues.

Which electric scooter do you have?

6 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Comparing an electric scooter to an EV is like comparing well, an electric scooter to an EV. You might as well compare an apple to an orange.

I once had an electric golf cart and the battery went dead right on the green during a tournament. The tournament had to be delayed because of my stupid golf cart. I will never buy an electric car.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1