Durability of Chinese EVs

13 hours ago, UWEB said:

You may google German Diesel Scandal or Dieselgate. And it's far from over.

Volkswagen does not count. They are the Fiat of Germany. Always have been. Always will be. 

• Confused 4

On 3/8/2024 at 12:28 AM, Kinnock said:

I don't have an electric car, but I do have experience of an electric scooter that has put me off an EV.

While it's convenient, quiet and fun, it's range has reduced significantly over one year of ownership.

It has a lithium battery and a smart charger, and at first an overnight charge would give me about 30km range (claimed range was 40km).

After 12 months the range has dropped to about 15km.  And the battery behaviour has also changed .... it shows full charge for about 14km, then suddenly drops into the red and stops.

It may take longer for an electric car to have the same issue, but my experience with other battery devices such as phones and cameras makes me believe that current battery tech has longevity issues.

I don't know about their electric

cars but I know for sure Chinese batteries suck out loud.

As an electronic engineer starting with vacuum tubes I've been waiting all my career for the promised 'perfect battery technology '.

I'm retired now and still waiting.

FWIW, I want no part of electric cars at this point in their technology curve. I've worked with electronics and computers long enough to cure me of being an early adopter.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/9/2024 at 9:39 AM, YaiJung said:

After a lifetime of disappointment with chinese products, I am very hesitant to buy a chinese ev, in fact I won't.  Just got burned at mr diy the other day.  Buy chinese, buy twice...or even three times.  Nothing against the chinese personally, but they aren't exactly known for putting quality first.  Imo, they never, ever pass any value on to the customer.  Every single corner will have been cut and any "deal" you think you might be getting is sure to show its true colors down the road, with disappointment, regret, annoyance, and in the case of cars maybe even safety issues.  Chinese business practice = if the customer isn't pissed off, kicking and screaming, feeling like they got screwed, then they(the chinese) didn't do their job and left money on the table. 

Also, really have to question the logic behind putting huge glass sunroofs on any car, much less an ev in a tropical country like Thailand.  Are they cool on hot days?  Is there any Thai person who wants to get sun in their face while they are driving?  The thought of sitting in traffic in bright sunlight with my head heating up while getting cold air blasted on me sounds absolutely nauseating.  Noticed the Teslas are the same.  Imagine the aircon uses a lot of battery to fight against the blasting midday heat in Thailand.  Can't be good for the range.  Not sure what they are thinking with this design other than add more gimmicky stuff to jack the price up.  

I'm looking forward to buying an ev, but it's still a few years away for me. 

I regret that I could only give you one trophy icon.

You nailed it right on the head.

I agree with all you said except the last sentence. I'll do my best to never own an EV and with the time I've got left I will probably succeed!

22 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Because the actual owners of Chinese ev think they are good quality and are better priced and often better spec’d than European/yank ev.

They also seem to be readily available in Thailand.

Almost everything readily available in Thailand is made in China.

That's how I have formed my opinion of chinese product quality.

I have no reason to believe that they make cars any better than their other junk.

It's called direct experience.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Almost everything readily available in Thailand is made in China.

That's how I have formed my opinion of chinese product quality.

I have no reason to believe that they make cars any better than their other junk.

It's called direct experience.

Yet I’m almost certain that you own lots of Chinese junk, just like the majority of folks all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Also, regarding the bus and if the traction battery was located on the top of the bus, the fire resulted from the top of the  bus crashing into a bridge overhang beam.    When a vehicle crashes into things fires can start as electrical wiring, fuels, etc., can short, catch on fire.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Also, regarding the bus and if the traction battery was located on the top of the bus, the fire resulted from the top of the  bus crashing into a bridge overhang beam.    When a vehicle crashes into things fires can start as electrical wiring, fuels, etc., can short, catch on fire.  

Nobody would build a bus with the traction battery on the roof.  They have to be placed as slow down as possible to keep the center of gravity low.

It sounds like an electrical fire, but nothing to do with the bus being an EV, more likely to be lighting wiring.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Nobody would build a bus with the traction battery on the roof.  They have to be placed as slow down as possible to keep the center of gravity low.

It sounds like an electrical fire, but nothing to do with the bus being an EV, more likely to be lighting wiring.

image.png.ef1d2ad41bbdef6d8687f41c94bb79b2.png

image.png.36478f6520fe673fed1bc62cffeee30b.png

https://www.evfiresafe.com/what-is-an-ev-battery#:~:text=In a passenger electric vehicle,rectangle or 'T" shape.&text=Commercial %26 public transport electric vehicles,the roof of the vehicle.

In a passenger electric vehicle, the battery pack is typically located along the floor pan of the vehicle, in a rectangle or 'T" shape.

Commercial & public transport electric vehicles may have multiple battery packs located at the front, rear, sides & even the roof of the vehicle.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Let’s start with the BYD Atto, there WAS NO FIRE. Educate yourself on what it was (fumes from leaky air conditioning).

There is no evidence the warehouse holding batteries was either (a) EV batteries or (b) was caused by a battery.

There have at time of writing been no Chinese EV fires

Let's throw a school van in the dumpster fire 🔥

https://tpnnational.com/2020/10/02/two-school-buses-and-a-school-building-burst-into-flames-after-electric-bus-battery-explosion-at-international-school-in-bangkok/

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

was it a DIY-bus or do you know any brand? was there an investigation of the cause? sorry, could no find any information... thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Yet I’m almost certain that you own lots of Chinese junk, just like the majority of folks all over the world.

Of course I do. If you live in Thailand so do you.

As I said, direct experience.

• Like 2