Durability of Chinese EVs

2 hours ago, In the jungle said:

How right you are.

The Isuzu D max gets through a lot of spark plugs.

Ok fair point. Ignore the spark plug comment, brain not engaged when writing my list.

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

What factual arguments should I have to refute BYD means Buy You Die?

I suppose I could ask for supporting evidence? A link perhaps? Or autopsy reports of deaths due to buying?

Perhaps you have ideas Jakey boy?

Why are you so sensitive and making weak attempts at insults? I owned a BMW before my model 3 and these are just some of the names:

Bavarian Murder Weapons
Born Moderately Wealthy
Big Mexican Weiner
Black Mans Willy
Brought Me Worries
Beats My Wood
Borrows My Wallet
Bothers My Willy
Buffoon Made Waste
Bust My Wallet
Broke My Wallet
Brings Me Women
Bought My Wife
Breaks Most Wrenches

etc etc

Never bothered me at all because it's a great car. You make it sound like BYD isn't so great and you're having regrets.. lol

• Confused 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This discussion should be closed as it has simply turned into yet another EV and China bashing fest.

The OP won’t get any more help with their request for feedback from owners of Chinese EVs as the majority of posters are simply here to troll 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:22 PM, Maybole said:

A Thai relative is contemplating replacing her nearly 20 years old Toyota with a new Chinese made Electric car. I have advised caution because of the lack of information on how long they last. They have only been on the road in Thailand for just over 2 years.

Has any member experience of them and can advise me further?

why ?   and especially why Chinese ?

On 3/7/2024 at 10:22 PM, Maybole said:

A Thai relative is contemplating replacing her nearly 20 years old Toyota with a new Chinese made Electric car. I have advised caution because of the lack of information on how long they last. They have only been on the road in Thailand for just over 2 years.

Has any member experience of them and can advise me further?

Ship carrying thousands of Chinese EVs lands in Germany DW Business - YouTube.url

23 minutes ago, Luuk Chaai said:

why ?   and especially why Chinese ?

Because the actual owners of Chinese ev think they are good quality and are better priced and often better spec’d than European/yank ev.

They also seem to be readily available in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:31 AM, UWEB said:

Better not to buy anything from the German Auto Mafia.

Where does a statement like that even come from? They make some of the best cars in the world, what is your issue with the Germans? Still sore over WWII? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Toddle off and read a little about battery tech in ev and you’ll see that it is quite different than your scooter and mobile phone.

Just to help you out a little, no ev don't not run on nicads.

"Toddle off"?  Playground comments are not technical points 😅

An electric scooter is an EV .... and the number of wheels on a vehicle is not a critical issue for battery degradation.

Many electric scooters and motorcycles have exactly the same battery technology as electric cars.  Mine is Lithium and it's battery has degraded to the point where I need to charge after every trip. 

So my personal experience means I will not buy an electric car until battery tech changes.  Mobile phones have the same issue, but there's no alternative tech yet.

You may have accepted the risk .... good for you .... but don't make excuses for your higher risk apetite - live with it.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

This discussion should be closed as it has simply turned into yet another EV and China bashing fest.

The OP won’t get any more help with their request for feedback from owners of Chinese EVs as the majority of posters are simply here to troll 

You are right, by now we can all agree that the EV hype is over and it is 👎 not a good idea to buy a Chinese EV.

I knew you would do well at the EOW university, good student.

For tomorrow's spelling test you need to pratice the word: humor.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

"Toddle off"?  Playground comments are not technical points 😅

An electric scooter is an EV .... and the number of wheels on a vehicle is not a critical issue for battery degradation.

Many electric scooters and motorcycles have exactly the same battery technology as electric cars.  Mine is Lithium and it's battery has degraded to the point where I need to charge after every trip. 

So my personal experience means I will not buy an electric car until battery tech changes.  Mobile phones have the same issue, but there's no alternative tech yet.

You may have accepted the risk .... good for you .... but don't make excuses for your higher risk apetite - live with it.

I'm curious, what scooter do you actually have ?  

Any specs, cost, battery chemistry would be interesting know.

Have I DECO (SUSU model), ride it most days, weather permitting, and charge it once every 4-7 days, when it's knocking on 2 bars (idiot meter).  Owned 2.5 yrs, and haven't really noticed any degradation at all.  Not LFP chemistry, so I don't top it up like I do the car.

In your OP, you state, 'overnight charge use to give 30km range', which sounds very low spec, or crap charger.   My small charger that came with the scooter, takes it from 20ish % to 100% in about 2+ hrs.  

Same with my ebike batteries, and only take about 2+hrs to charge about the SOC.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I think closure of this thread should be left to the op who hasn't been online for 20 hours if any member can request closure of a thread because they don't like the content 

no one can predict if the op requires further information on Durability of Chinese EVs or does the op want to modify the title to include all EV since we know Chinese EV's have only been in Thailand since 2019 no very long when you compare 5 years with 20 years of the current Toyota model that his relative is driving

would you agree that the closure of this thread without the op's approval would be acceptable

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Where does a statement like that even come from? They make some of the best cars in the world, what is your issue with the Germans? Still sore over WWII? 

You may google German Diesel Scandal or Dieselgate. And it's far from over.

14 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

You probably use electricity in your home, you are getting EMF radiation all the time.

It’s nonsense to say that it has adverse health effects, except in very high, signal strength, like standing in front of a microwave transmitter.

Yes , some EMF at home but not high voltage , high current switching like in an EV , very close to your body.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2