Anyone still rent Wave/Dream type motorbikes?

Looking to rent a Dream/Wave/Shogun/... type non-automatic clutchless motorbike for a week or two.

Seems nearly impossible to find, but maybe someone still has them.  I just called every rental place listed on Google for Soi 88 and Soi 94, no dice.

Thanks

I owned one (Honda Wave) about 20 years ago in the Philippines. Riding one of those vs modern automatic scooters is like going back to the horse and buggy.

What's up? Why do you want one?

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, lsemprini said:

I have ridden a Dream in Thailand for the last 20 years and simply prefer the clutchless gear bikes for several reasons (but Dream is effectively discontinued, so Wave is the only model I have a chance to find).  One is just that I'm used to them and so easier and safer right out of the shop.  Another is more control of engine braking going down hills, though that matters more up in the mountains where I live (there are quite a few places where I live where one simply cannot go with an auto bike, because you will certainly slip out on dirt roads downhill; the Waves/Dreams also have significantly larger wheels and more clearance).  Another is that the design of the Wave/Dream allows me to easily carry my big bag because the space between the front edge of the seat and the handlebars/fairing is much larger on those bikes compared with the autos, and I DO plan to carry my big bag some in Hua Hin.  Another is it's just a bit annoying how much extra noise one is forced to make with the auto bikes at slower speeds, because the bike chooses the gearing, not the driver.

None of those are critical but I'd still prefer the bike type that I am familiar with.  The autos let us be lazy and have more storage space, which is nice, but not worth it for me.

The carrying part is not as valid as many scooters, my Yamaha Mio, for example, has a huge space in the front to carry shopping. I can carry 6 packs of water or a full shopping cart of groceries. I can carry a lot more than I could carry on my old Honda Wave.

I agree that in the hilly mountainous areas, gears will be an advantage. I've never used on in a hilly region. There are some steep hills in Pattaya, and I've never had a problem getting up them with a passenger and groceries and I weigh around 100 kg.

In the city, they are much safer as your front and back breaks at the ready in both hands, and you don't have to mess around with gears, so your reaction time is much faster. Still, many Thai people are using Honda Waves, and often they get in the way as they are busy clunking between gears. I don't care how skilled a person is, they are going to be caught in the wrong gear at some point, and that's risky in fast-flowing traffic. Having owned both, I would never go back. The Wave is much noisier too IMO. Noise will vary with models, but usually, it's hard to hear if the engine is on at idle for most auto scooters. I owned the Wave for 2 years and hated it.

Modern water cooled automatics are certainly lot more powerful than the air-cooled Waves

Until you look at servicing and maintaining them, cleaning and servicing he belt is a lot more involved than just lubing chains that is not necessary in most wave use, lots of Thais seem to abuse them and survive without much attention. whereas you start loosing acceleration and power on the automatics if the belt is not maintained 

The bigger wheels also rides a lot better on potholed roads 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, lsemprini said:

I have ridden a Dream in Thailand for the last 20 years and simply prefer the clutchless gear bikes for several reasons (but Dream is effectively discontinued, so Wave is the only model I have a chance to find).  One is just that I'm used to them and so easier and safer right out of the shop.  Another is more control of engine braking going down hills, though that matters more up in the mountains where I live (there are quite a few places where I live where one simply cannot go with an auto bike, because you will certainly slip out on dirt roads downhill; the Waves/Dreams also have significantly larger wheels and more clearance).  Another is that the design of the Wave/Dream allows me to easily carry my big bag because the space between the front edge of the seat and the handlebars/fairing is much larger on those bikes compared with the autos, and I DO plan to carry my big bag some in Hua Hin.  Another is it's just a bit annoying how much extra noise one is forced to make with the auto bikes at slower speeds, because the bike chooses the gearing, not the driver.

None of those are critical but I'd still prefer the bike type that I am familiar with.  The autos let us be lazy and have more storage space, which is nice, but not worth it for me.

As far as i know the Honda Super Cub is nearly the same as a Dream and has the option of a front disk brake.

Posted (edited)

For future reference, out of the ~20 shops I called/visited, the only one that even has Waves in their fleet is the very nice people at Yayee rental on soi 88 https://maps.app.goo.gl/h8W8F4KkyRy89nCw5 but their bike was out when I was looking (and one of the owners was using the other one!).

Seems like a business opportunity for rental places.

Edited by lsemprini

On 3/9/2024 at 11:57 PM, Keep Right said:

I would never get on a motorbike in Thailand, it is a death-wish.

If you have genuine common sense and good motorbike experience, and watch and act on other riders stupidity and be aware of what is going on around you, never speed or be in a hurry, you have a very reasonable chance of not being involved in any accidents.

I have been riding here in Thailand for the last 18 years and never had an accident, and I'm sure there are many other farangs in the same boat. If you are stopped at traffic lights or getting close to them, try and get yourself in a situation where no drivers can ram you from behind.

• Agree 1

How many 1000's of tourists each week rent motorbikes and don't have any accidents. So one tourist has accident and all motorbikes are death wish ? 

Most motorbike rental agencies rent to tourists with little motorbike driving experience and most have never even driven a standard shift car.  Add that complexity to what is already a driver unsure of themselves and the chances of disaster go up exponentially.  There is really no rental market for standard motorbikes.

5 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

If you have genuine common sense and good motorbike experience, and watch and act on other riders stupidity and be aware of what is going on around you, never speed or be in a hurry, you have a very reasonable chance of not being involved in any accidents.

I have been riding here in Thailand for the last 18 years and never had an accident, and I'm sure there are many other farangs in the same boat. If you are stopped at traffic lights or getting close to them, try and get yourself in a situation where no drivers can ram you from behind.

I'm in your boat too - even longer on motorcycles here and in the Philippines, but I never boast about it as that could be the day I have a bad accident LOL. You're brave.

I did have a bad accident in Australia though, in my 20s (lots of bones broken), and whacked my knee on a car door in the Philippines about 21 years ago.

The problem is that people use statistics to determine their risk, but they are not valid for individuals. I'm sure you'd be quite insulted if someone suggested your risk is the same as a 16-year-old school kid riding without a helmet, 3 or 4 up,... or the same as drunk riders late at night and speeding, without helmets... or the same as some tourist that rented a motorcycle and doesn't have a clue how to ride or where he is going, and quite likely riding on the wrong side of the road from their perspective.

The sheer number of motorcycles on the road exaggerates the danger. Since I have been riding in Pattaya I've always been amazed at how few motorcycle accidents I witness. Of course, every time someone dies, it's reported because they need something to fill up the newspapers.

Edited by JensenZ

11 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'm in your boat too - even longer on motorcycles here and in the Philippines, but I never boast about it as that could be the day I have a bad accident LOL. You're brave.

I did have a bad accident in Australia though, in my 20s (lots of bones broken), and whacked my knee on a car door in the Philippines about 21 years ago.

The problem is that people use statistics to determine their risk, but they are not valid for individuals. I'm sure you'd be quite insulted if someone suggested your risk is the same as a 16-year-old school kid riding without a helmet, 3 or 4 up,... or the same as drunk riders late at night and speeding, without helmets... or the same as some tourist that rented a motorcycle and doesn't have a clue how to ride or where he is going, and quite likely riding on the wrong side of the road from their perspective.

The sheer number of motorcycles on the road exaggerates the danger. Since I have been riding in Pattaya I've always been amazed at how few motorcycle accidents I witness. Of course, every time someone dies, it's reported because they need something to fill up the newspapers.

I am certainly not boasting about it, I am only saying that it does not have to be the death trap people seem to make it to be.

Some people are not confident, incompetent and lack the ability to ride motorbikes, if that's your skillset, please don't ride, you could hurt yourself and other road users. 

BTW, in Thailand we Keep Left. ⬅️

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2