Pattaya gets major respect in the best places to retire abroad on a budget press!

Jingthing

9 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Methinks you protest too much.

Lots of these types come out on every Pattaya thread.

Conflicted Puritans mostly I'm guessing.

They hate Pattaya but jump on every Pattaya thread like those gay haters that bring their "God hates gays" signs to every gay event.

"The sexual perversity of Pattaya disgusts me; but let's talk about it a little."

Luckily, they have The Just Can't Quit Pattaya Fan Club.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Pattaya just needs a university campus in the Sri Racha area to make it a complete, cheap, and decent retirement heaven in the world or for a break from your home country. 

Why do you need a university, lack of education?

8 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The day I landed in Bangkok and went to a bar, I realized bars are brothels in Thailand. All bars in this country are brothels, . 

Non of the bars I frequently visit, is brothels, 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Medellin isn't a cartel center now. That's history.

Even though I no longer suggest Colombia because they've screwed up their retirement visa, cities in the Coffee region Armenia and Manizales are better choices and half as expensive. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Medellin isn't a cartel center now. That's history.

Even though I no longer suggest Colombia because they've screwed up their retirement visa, cities in the Coffee region Armenia and Manizales are better choices and half as expensive. 

Or check this out man.

Eccentric Russian professor predicts break-up of the USA into 5 parts. 

If you move to the Texas Republic, you get an automatic Mexican visa.

If you take JimTripper's advice and move to Hawaii, you might get a Japanese visa. 

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Or check this out man.

Eccentric Russian professor predicts break-up of the USA into 5 parts. 

If you move to the Texas Republic, you get an automatic Mexican visa.

If you take JimTripper's advice and move to Hawaii, you might get a Japanese visa. 

Eccentric is putting it mildly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't know that this is good news...

The Eagles were right.  "You call someplace paradise, Kiss it goodbye"

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eagles/thelastresort-1976.html

20 yrs ago was different [of course] You still had everything you needed,but the joint wasn't bursting at the seams. But the whole country was different . Udon much better "back in the day'' too IMO.

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

Pattaya is good if you do not need a car to get around at busy days and times. 

However a boring location if you enjoy motorbike riding, diving, hiking, kayaking, climbing, but for an average retired expat, great. I might relocate there after 70 years old, and time to leave Isan.

Again 'back in the day" I used to ride down beach road at 8.00am with very little traffic around.Take a relaxing ride out to Rayong or Sattahip or just Jomtien for a coffee .I doubt I'd ride in Patts at all these days .

The Thais don't seem to let the 'open air brothel' deter them from visiting..... they swarmed into town for the music festival.... evidenced by them swarming out yesterday lunchtime. Most who post negatively have only a passing knowledge and fail to consider quite pleasant areas like Pratumnak, Wong Amat and over by the lake. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Lots of places much cheaper.

But that's not the point.

The Pattaya area pretty much has almost everything international expats could realistically want. 

Random places in Thailand do not.

No, not everything of course. Nothing much for western culture like you would get in Europe.

Where is "much cheaper". I have been all over Thailand and (apart from Bangkopk) prices for normal day to day stuff are very similar to Pattaya.

13 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The day I landed in Bangkok and went to a bar, I realized bars are brothels in Thailand. All bars in this country are brothels, but if you want to see very upscale brothels, come to Pattaya. 
Hey, Pattaya has everything. Thailand should make prostitution legal. If you want to see the largest adult entertainment area in the world, come to  Pattaya. Of course, there are other nice places as well. 
Pattaya just needs a university campus in the Sri Racha area to make it a complete, cheap, and decent retirement heaven in the world or for a break from your home country. 

Why would Pattaya need a campus in Sriracha ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, findlay13 said:

Again 'back in the day" I used to ride down beach road at 8.00am with very little traffic around.Take a relaxing ride out to Rayong or Sattahip or just Jomtien for a coffee .I doubt I'd ride in Patts at all these days .

Yeah sundays around 8am is still fine for a beach road coffee ride.

19 hours ago, Roo Island said:

Just spent a few months in Jomtien. Walking down the side streets was like being in Gaza. 😆

Couldn't find bacon being sold?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Roo Island said:

Just spent a few months in Jomtien. Walking down the side streets was like being in Gaza. 😆

And where are you from? Australia?

Much worse places in Australia than Jomtien even worse than Gaza 

20 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The day I landed in Bangkok and went to a bar, I realized bars are brothels in Thailand. All bars in this country are brothels, but if you want to see very upscale brothels, come to Pattaya. 
Hey, Pattaya has everything. Thailand should make prostitution legal. If you want to see the largest adult entertainment area in the world, come to  Pattaya. Of course, there are other nice places as well. 

Bang Saen; just up the coast from Sri Racha; has a university and a lot of the night time entertainment there is aimed at students and staffed by many too. The hospital is a teaching hospital.

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Where is "much cheaper". I have been all over Thailand and (apart from Bangkopk) prices for normal day to day stuff are very similar to Pattaya.

CM was much cheaper unless it's gone up that much in the past 5-10 years since I last lived there.

To give one example: Meals in Pattaya are hitting around 100 baht for just a rice dish. That's twice what I was paying in CM. That's something I pay multiple times a day. Smoothies were 20-40 baht, they are twice that in Pattaya. Fruit vendors are still the same, 20 baht, the last holdouts? A latte is around 70 baht in Pattaya, 30 in CM, again almost double. The example are numerous. 20k got me a villa with a koi pond in CM, in Pattaya it gets me a condo.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Coincidentally this current Stickman article reinforces how Pattaya has indeed graduated into the very mainstream. Like it or not!

Peak Pattaya | Stickman Bangkok

Peak Pattaya

Pattaya has shaken off its seedy reputation. What was once a playground for middle-aged white men is now very much a family holiday destination. For many of us, the Pattaya of today is rather different from the Pattaya we first knew.

9 hours ago, Henryford said:

I agree it's much the same apart from islands.

On 3/10/2024 at 1:31 PM, Robert Paulson said:

I wouldn’t know. I actually like sriracha. It’s not like my standards are unbearably high

Full of factories, no entertainment, the town of a million traffic lights. No thanks! I'll remain just outside of Pattaya.

On 3/10/2024 at 11:03 AM, Hummin said:

Pattaya is good if you do not need a car to get around at busy days and times. 

However a boring location if you enjoy motorbike riding, diving, hiking, kayaking, climbing, but for an average retired expat, great. I might relocate there after 70 years old, and time to leave Isan.

Diving in Isaan? In Pattaya I do dive often.
If you are looking for a quiet place for retirees over 70 years old, I see Hua Hin as more appropriate.

1 minute ago, Espanol said:

Diving in Isaan? In Pattaya I do dive often.
If you are looking for a quiet place for retirees over 70 years old, I see Hua Hin as more appropriate.

I have lived in Hua Hin for many years.

I know there is water and diving shops there, but seriously? Koh Chang used to be great back in early 2000, but now completely ruined. Same around Koh Tao and Phuket and Krabi. 

23 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Oh yes, that's for sure. Unhappy single mothers with ageing unhappy farangs looking for happiness in all the wrong places all swimming in a lake of cheap booze. It ain't pretty but it is relatively safe.

The OPO was talking about Iran, but I don't see that the description you give fits that country.  😆

Having just spent 4 days in Bangkok and the same in Pattaya I can confirm that Pattaya was considerably cheaper.

Bangkok hotel 1450 baht a night.

Pattaya hotel 740 baht a night.

Small Leo in Bangkok 120-150 baht, non happy hour price.

Small Leo in Pattaya 80-90 baht.

Etc...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Having just spent 4 days in Bangkok and the same in Pattaya I can confirm that Pattaya was considerably cheaper.

Bangkok hotel 1450 baht a night.

Pattaya hotel 740 baht a night.

Small Leo in Bangkok 120-150 baht, non happy hour price.

Small Leo in Pattaya 80-90 baht.

Etc...

Yes I have consistently found Pattaya cheaper, especially on the items you mention..., hotel room, a beer in a bar. I think Bangkok may do better on street food.