Pattaya gets major respect in the best places to retire abroad on a budget press!

Jingthing

Here's my top picks

Chiang Mai - food, cheap rentals, things to do. Pollution the downside.

Nong Khai - food, relaxed, views. Downside is bit quiet.

Koh Chang - really nice beaches and atmosphere. Downside isolated and quiet.

Hua Hin - steady for all things. Bit lacking in fun.

• Like 2

Don't think my family would have survived had we moved to Pattaya, Soi 6 would have nuked it. Can't resist the sight of a little cat.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Try the Darkside, East Pattaya.

Your Iranian's armpit might be pleasantly surprised.🙃🙃

The so called "Dark Side" is depending upon where you live very nice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've seen this trend happening for about five years.

Instead of Pattaya being totally ignored for the stupid reason of the sex industry, more and more Pattaya is not only mentioned but specifically highlighted.

Of course maybe it isn't good if it gets TOO popular, but it is pleasing to get confirmation about what expats here already know -- Pattaya (including the metro area of course) indeed is one of the best places in the world to retire abroad on a budget.

As far as the budget part of it, no it isn't the absolute cheapest, but bang for the baht, the value for what you get is incredible. 

Cut Your Living Expenses in Half By Moving Abroad to These 3 Locations (yahoo.com)

Pattaya is good if you do not need a car to get around at busy days and times. 

However a boring location if you enjoy motorbike riding, diving, hiking, kayaking, climbing, but for an average retired expat, great. I might relocate there after 70 years old, and time to leave Isan.

3 hours ago, proton said:

The open air brothel by the sea 😄 Not so much the place or the vast numbers of sex workers that puts me off, it's the foreign dross who go there.

The day I landed in Bangkok and went to a bar, I realized bars are brothels in Thailand. All bars in this country are brothels, but if you want to see very upscale brothels, come to Pattaya. 
Hey, Pattaya has everything. Thailand should make prostitution legal. If you want to see the largest adult entertainment area in the world, come to  Pattaya. Of course, there are other nice places as well. 
Pattaya just needs a university campus in the Sri Racha area to make it a complete, cheap, and decent retirement heaven in the world or for a break from your home country. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

5 hours ago, Dolf said:

Iran is nice I hear.

I worked there for over a year back in the day.Offshore and on, not very impressive.A large amount of unhappy looking people. IMHO

I have often wondered why I don't like living in pattaya. From the reports, I should be having the time of my life, but it is not happening.

Some people say it's me that's the problem, others agree with my view. One thing is for sure, it's not for everybody.

So be careful what others tell you about paradise & perfect places. Some people thrive in barren deserts, others in noisy bars. Some in far away places, others among familiar faces.

Wherever you find yourself, man, I hope you make the best of your hand and watch your step on balconies in far away lands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaideedave said:

I worked there for over a year back in the day.Offshore and on, not very impressive.A large amount of unhappy looking people. IMHO

Oh yes, that's for sure. Unhappy single mothers with ageing unhappy farangs looking for happiness in all the wrong places all swimming in a lake of cheap booze. It ain't pretty but it is relatively safe.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

i couldn't possibly live in pattaya yet. i'm still too young and handsome.

Me too. Another 20 years Im there with the ugly old guys.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I have often wondered why I don't like living in pattaya. From the reports, I should be having the time of my life, but it is not happening.

Some people say it's me that's the problem, others agree with my view. One thing is for sure, it's not for everybody.

So be careful what others tell you about paradise & perfect places. Some people thrive in barren deserts, others in noisy bars. Some in far away places, others among familiar faces.

Wherever you find yourself, man, I hope you make the best of your hand and watch your step on balconies in far away lands.

Absolutely expat destinations are not one size fits all!

Regardless of the press, good or bad, you need to check places out yourself. 

Just now, Celsius said:

nice life until you need medical care 

A very good point.

Of course routine stuff and routine meds are very affordable though.

Of the three on the list, that makes Medellin best as expats in Colombia are required in a quite decent health care system regardless of preexisting conditions.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

pattaya is for single folks.

if you're married, way too many distractions to stray from the marriage.

unless thats what you want. 

What distractions?

All the Boyz?