Extension based on Retirement

Hi, I'm a 67 year old Brit who's thinking of applying for an extension based on retirement.

Firstly, I'm here on a 30 day permission to stay. I will extend for another 30 days in a few weeks then leave for Seoul, S.Korea for month in April. Is it best for me to return to Thailand on a visa (tourist?) and then begin the 'retirement' process?

Is there somewhere I can get comprehensive information of what I have to do (paperwork, requirements etc) to become retired here in Thailand? 

Thanks

Bill

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

and deposit in a Thai bank account, your sole name, so you'll need to open a Thai Savings account.

Often the hardest part to do, its a catch 22 situation, created by the banks. Can't open an account without 1 year visa. Many people have to pay an agent to obtain this, and you will end up with a BKB account, more than likely, irrespective of what bank you want.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Secondly, you'll need to transfer the equivalent of 800K THB funds from overseas and deposit in a Thai bank account, your sole name, so you'll need to open a Thai Savings account. . .

Probably easier to enter from S Korea visa exempt, which will grant a stay of 30 days and can be extended for a further 30 days, then follow the above procedure to obtain Non O.

When the Non O is granted you'll be granted a further stay of 90 days. Within the last 30 days of that 90 days, you may apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on retirement.

Each Immigration Office may have their own requirements, which can differ from the main Immigration Rules.

If you will be using Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, they currently require that the 800k be on deposit in a Thai bank in your name at least 2 months before you apply for the Non-Immigrant O Visa (the "Immigration Rule" does not require this 2 month period, only that it be on deposit on the day of application).

Also, the Application has to be approved by Immigration HQ in Bangkok and they require at least 15 days to process it. So, you will need at least 15 days remaining on your initial Permission to Stay at the time of application (best to check with the Immigration Office where yo will apply as there have been reports that some require at least 21 days be remaining).  If you enter Visa Exempt and receive the initial 30 day stay, you can extend it another 30 days at an Immigration Office in Thailand if needed to allow enough time for for processing the Application for the Non-O Visa.

After receiving the Non-O Visa, continue to keep the 800k on deposit as it is required to be on deposit at least 2 months before applying for the Extension of Stay (this is the "Immigration Rule," and is followed by Pattaya Immigration, but there reports that a few Immigration Offices will require 3 months on deposit beforehand). 

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I already have a Thai bank account. One area of concern is the requirement to have the 800,000thb in my account for a full 3 months prior to the extension being granted. How does that work if I can only stay 3 months when I enter?

Another quick question...Once I have the 'retirement' visa, if I leave Thailand how long can I stay out before the thing is no longer valid?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions which I'm sure have been asked a million times before.

Bill 

14 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Each Immigration Office may have their own requirements, which can differ from the main Immigration Rules.

If you will be using Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, they currently require that the 800k be on deposit in a Thai bank in your name at least 2 months before you apply for the Non-Immigrant O Visa (the "Immigration Rule" does not require this 2 month period, only that it be on deposit on the day of application).

Also, the Application has to be approved by Immigration HQ in Bangkok and they require at least 15 days to process it. So, you will need at least 15 days remaining on your initial Permission to Stay at the time of application (best to check with the Immigration Office where yo will apply as there have been reports that some require at least 21 days be remaining).  If you enter Visa Exempt and receive the initial 30 day stay, you can extend it another 30 days at an Immigration Office in Thailand if needed to allow enough time for for processing the Application for the Non-O Visa.

After receiving the Non-O Visa, continue to keep the 800k on deposit as it is required to be on deposit at least 2 months before applying for the Extension of Stay (this is the "Immigration Rule," and is followed by Pattaya Immigration, but there reports that a few Immigration Offices will require 3 months on deposit beforehand). 

Okay, didn't see this before posting above.

Cheers

If you enter visa exempt you can only stay 60 days not 3 months.

Aside from the methods mentioned you could also get a Non-O visa to begin with. That eliminates one whole step in the process and you'll get a 3 month stay on entry.  Then  do a one year extension of stay. Make sure you get a non-O and not a non O-A. You need to have had the 800k in bank for 2 months before the one year extension. 

Check first that the Embassy in Korea will issue non-O to non Koreans. 

Each extension of stay is for one year so would need to be back in Thailand to renew before then. 

If you leave the country be sure to get a re-entry permit otherwise your extension based on retirement will be voided and you have to start all over again 

Re-entry permits (single or multiple entry) can be obtained at same time you do your one year extension. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

One area of concern is the requirement to have the 800,000thb in my account for a full 3 months prior to the extension being granted. How does that work if I can only stay 3 months when I enter?

Because it's not 3 months prior to application for 12 month extension.

It's 2 months prior.

19 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Another quick question...Once I have the 'retirement' visa, if I leave Thailand how long can I stay out before the thing is no longer valid?

When you obtain a 12 month extension it's has a stamp with "admitted till date" 

Referred to as permission of stay.

If you plan to exit Thailand you need to purchase a reentry permit. 

The until date on the permit will match the extension stamp. 

Which immigration office. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If you enter visa exempt you can only stay 60 days not 3 months.

Aside from the methods mentioned you could also get a Non-O visa to begin with. That eliminates one whole step in the process and you'll get a 3 month stay on entry.  Then  do a one year extension of stay. Make sure you get a non-O and not a non O-A. You need to have had the 800k in bank for 2 months before the one year extension. 

Check first that the Embassy in Korea will issue non-O to non Koreans. 

Each extension of stay is for one year so would need to be back in Thailand to renew before then. 

If you leave the country be sure to get a re-entry permit otherwise your extension based on retirement will be voided and you have to start all over again 

Re-entry permits (single or multiple entry) can be obtained at same time you do your one year extension. 

Thanks for that.

On the one year extension and with the re-entry permit in hand before I leave, how long can I stay out of Thailand before the extension is voided or is valid if I stay out until the extension is finished...just want to get some sort of timeline.

Thanks again

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Because it's not 3 months prior to application for 12 month extension.

It's 2 months prior.

When you obtain a 12 month extension it's has a stamp with "admitted till date" 

Referred to as permission of stay.

If you plan to exit Thailand you need to purchase a reentry permit. 

The until date on the permit will match the extension stamp. 

Which immigration office. 

Thanks, didn't see this before above posting

18 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Thanks for that.

On the one year extension and with the re-entry permit in hand before I leave, how long can I stay out of Thailand before the extension is voided or is valid if I stay out until the extension is finished...just want to get some sort of timeline.

Thanks again

The admitted until date doesn't change, stay out as long as you like but remember to come back in time to make the next extension or you'll have to start all over again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've just noticed that there's a requirement for my passbook and deposit certificate from the bank to be dated the same day as the application. How does that work? Will the bank do all the necessary in the morning to allow me to submit the application at Chaeng Wattana in time, same day?

Cheers

1 hour ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I've just noticed that there's a requirement for my passbook and deposit certificate from the bank to be dated the same day as the application. How does that work? Will the bank do all the necessary in the morning to allow me to submit the application at Chaeng Wattana in time, same day?

Cheers

Yes. 

This is what I do. Others have their own MO.

I make appointment for extension based on retirement.

Attend immigration with enough time to deal with bank.

Do not go to teller. Obtain ticket for bank letter.

The clerk will know exactly what you need.

Ask her to deposit 100b into your account and do bank letter (also 100b) 

Ask her to photocopy this updated last page. 

Note previously CW were happy with photocopies of my bankbook pages.

Recently they required bank statements.

That can be done in week prior to appointment.  I do it day prior. 

So yes can all be done same day.

Be aware Bangkok Bank requires several days to provide bank statement. 

My bank (kasikorn) like many others can do it on the sport however takes time. 200b.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

A 1-year extension of stay is not a visa, it's a permit.

Hence, the stamp will state ''permitted to stay until'' (date).

7. Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

8. On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/general-information?menu=5e1ff6d057b01e00a6391dc5

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Cheers

I did, in 2019, exactly what you are going to do. I too, did it at Chaeng Wattana. Very straight there. No BS looking for you to engage services of an agent (such as in Jomtien). I use Kasikornbank who have a branch in the basement of CW. They do the 12 month bank statement and immigration letter on demand (usually takes 10 minutes). Good luck on your journey. Just don't forget to obtain a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand. I have renewed retirement extension at CW each year since with no hassle at all. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. 

This is what I do. Others have their own MO.

I make appointment for extension based on retirement.

Attend immigration with enough time to deal with bank.

Do not go to teller. Obtain ticket for bank letter.

The clerk will know exactly what you need.

Ask her to deposit 100b into your account and do bank letter (also 100b) 

Ask her to photocopy this updated last page. 

Note previously CW were happy with photocopies of my bankbook pages.

Recently they required bank statements.

That can be done in week prior to appointment.  I do it day prior. 

So yes can all be done same day.

Be aware Bangkok Bank requires several days to provide bank statement. 

My bank (kasikorn) like many others can do it on the sport however takes time. 200b.

I'm assuming immigration will accept a bank statement from the day before if you have an updated passbook (including original) with the certificate of balance 800,000thb and proof of 100thb paid in, same day as the application is submitted? 

Edited by BillStrangeOgre

6 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I'm assuming immigration will accept a bank statement from the day before if you have an updated passbook (including original) with the certificate of balance 800,000thb and proof of 100thb paid in, same day as the application is submitted? 

Immigration will accept bank letter and bank statements up to 7 days early.

Be aware that some offices insist upon update on day of application and even "activity on day of application. 

A small deposit achieves both.

Don't be concerned the balance does not match the bank leter

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Immigration will accept bank letter and bank statements up to 7 days early.

Be aware that some offices insist upon update on day of application and even "activity on day of application. 

A small deposit achieves both.

Don't be concerned the balance does not match the bank leter

Thanks.

Seems like quite a complex procedure, with a lot for me to consider before I decide to go ahead. Not least that I will be dealing with immigration at CW, costs are increasing I've heard, then there's 90 day reporting which can be done online? 

Is the renewal process after 12 months fairly easy in comparison?

Thanks again

Seems like quite a complex procedure, with a lot for me to consider before I decide to go ahead. Not least that I will be dealing with immigration at CW, costs are increasing I've heard, then there's 90 day reporting which can be done online? 

Costa are still the same, 1,900 BHT for an extension of stay application. Re-entry permits are 1,000 BHT for a single entry, 3,800 BHT for a multiple entry.

Once you've registered your place of residence with Immigration (TM30) you may have to submit the very first 90 day report in person, but thereafter it can be completed in person, by post or online.

Is the renewal process after 12 months fairly easy in comparison?

I would say that depends on how organised you are.

Personally, I have copies of the required documents already prepared well in advance.
You can apply for the extension at least 30 days, 45 days at certain offices prior to your existing permission of stay expiring.

On the day of application, merely a visit to the bank to obtain a letter and statement, then proceed to the office to submit the application.

Processing the application varies dependent on the size of the Immigration office and how many foreigners are applying.

CW is a busy office.

Edited by Liquorice
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Costa are still the same, 1,900 BHT for an extension of stay application. Re-entry permits are 1,000 BHT for a single entry, 3,800 BHT for a multiple entry.

Once you've registered your place of residence with Immigration (TM30) you may have to submit the very first 90 day report in person, but thereafter it can be completed in person, by post or online.

I would say that depends on how organised you are.

Personally, I have copies of the required documents already prepared well in advance.
You can apply for the extension at least 30 days, 45 days at certain offices prior to your existing permission of stay expiring.

On the day of application, merely a visit to the bank to obtain a letter and statement, then proceed to the office to submit the application.

Processing the application varies dependent on the size of the Immigration office and how many foreigners are applying.

CW is a busy office.

Thanks for that

And thanks to everyone who replied. Some great info here...cheers  

• Thumbs Up 1