The arrest of Norwegian woman part of bigger picture

webfact

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:
6 hours ago, Olmate said:

Do tell, why in the world would you be so desparate to drive someone to the bloody airport that you would include it in your contact? 

Lots of hotels in Bangkok offer such a service 

How many employ foreigners as drivers?

So was it proven that she actually charged the tourists money for the transportation, or just helped them out of goodwill? In the latter case, I don't see how that would be interpreted as offering a taxi service (which obviously would be illegal). 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I see many foreigners dropping people off at the ferry port it seems she was caught out due to vehicle having the resort sign plastered on it  

With a branded company car?

8 hours ago, thesetat said:

read the whole OP from the source. The fact that it hits worldwide news if enough to show the seriousness of it. Then there is this clip below to show the picture getting bigger. 

Phuket administration has also agreed to set up a center to deal with illegal alien businesses. This is a result of many complaints by Thai business operators who claim that many foreigners have set up businesses using their Thai spouses or other Thai nationals as nominees. There are more than 200 companies with foreigners holding a 49% stake operating in Phuket.

And the rest!

11 hours ago, webfact said:

was dropping off foreigners

Good news, I'm the designated driver tonight for my drunken mates, now I have an excuse to get on the drink, getting drunk.

I'm not permitted to drive my foreign drunk mates around. 👍

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

I wish that this triumvirate of Immigration, Tourist, and Local Police would make also this kind of effort, to slap on the fingers of the local taxi drivers who constantly rip off tourists with inflated prices and generally refuse to turn on their taxi meter.

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Olmate said:

Do tell, why in the world would you be so desparate to drive someone to the bloody airport that you would include it in your contact? 

To avoid being arrested for petty reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Ms. Unni faced charges for transporting passengers in her car, and she admitted to the charges.

The translation here could be looked at as confusing.  It is not against the law to simply 'transport passengers in a car'.  It is illegal for a foreigner to drive any motor vehicle in Thailand as part of an occupation - paId or unpaid. The purpose being to protect Thai jobs.

Taking the translation literally it could be said that you can't even drive your family around.

10 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

The translation here could be looked at as confusing.  It is not against the law to simply 'transport passengers in a car'.  It is illegal for a foreigner to drive any motor vehicle in Thailand as part of an occupation - paId or unpaid. The purpose being to protect Thai jobs.

Taking the translation literally it could be said that you can't even drive your family around.

More fool you then, the law applicable in this instance is not reliant on the translation. 'Ignorancia non' etc.etc

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

To avoid being arrested for petty reasons.

Or add another source to add to your income stream, which was obviously the MO of the culprit.