Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi soars to seventh heaven in luxury airport rankings

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The study focused on the number of lounges in the passenger terminal, designer brand shops, luxury hotels in the area and the availability of champagne and caviar before boarding.

So stupid, they could have narrowed that down to foot massage availability and ended up Number one.

• Like 1

Singapore on 6th place??? If there is a luxury airport surely Changi is one of the best.. and CdG in Paris even higher ranked?? Sorry we were there a2 years ago and it was a normal airport. The lounges I don't know as I am just a normal traveler.. So again a fake news item just to feel good and try to solve the bad image of Suvarnabhumi

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

do these people really think we are that stupid ?

Obviously you mean the publishers,  and they may well be right, comprehension is not a strong point.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

The ones not having the Double Whopper from Burger King?

had one of them years ago.... not nearly as good as a McChicken from Maccas

from top 10 worst to top 10 best in a couple of days.

do these people really think we are that stupid ?

It's not flagged by Management as "Amazing Thailand:",  for nothing

I had to google caviar.... WTF people eat that ?

If you try it, you will never be able to fly without again.

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I dont know who made this list up but there is dozens of better airports that not even show in this list and would make it more likely to where bangkok ones is than they are.

Places in the list bought and paid for I'd say 

• Agree 1

As the vast majority of Expats know, surveys and reports are written using the money paid for by the contributors. In other words they are 'paid advertising' and we all know it.  Very few true independent surveys these days - if any.

But Thais dont know that - and this works in Thailand - the Govt and Thai media lap it up. Plus of course the draconian defamation laws here make it impossible to actually criticise any Thai person or company - fairly or not - criticism is illegal. Who can ever forget that UK jopunalist forced to leave after publishing a story about a person/company that was found to be in breach of UN human/employee rights - the factr that the story was true was irrelevent - he was found guilty of defamation. I know SFA Thais know about that story - but they all know not to criticise those in authority or power.     

"The study focused on the number of lounges in the passenger terminal, designer brand shops, luxury hotels in the area and the availability of champagne and caviar before boarding."

None of that is of interest to me, seems like it's for the mega-rich..

What I want is 7-11 or convenience store for stuff like water, wet wipes, mouth wash, snacks, Tylenol etc; that and a coffee stand and I am set. Suvarnabhumi has those so I am happy.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

15 hours on planes?

Why would anyone do that?

Time to relocate🙃🙃

Are you suggesting that the USA be relocated?

Now that's thinking outside the box!

• Haha 1

The newest list appears to be based primarily on the number of duty free shops. Lounges and preflight champagne... really more an airline dependant thing. The Coral and Miracle lounges at BKK are mediocre at best. Unless seeing travelers sprawled out everywhere, scarfing "free" food is luxury (more like a  ghetto).

• Like 1

Yeah, the survey is definitely for the Business Class traveller.  For the rest of us swine, it sucks.  Unless you like overpriced Burger King and Taco Bell,

there's not much to choose from at the airport.  Its all pretty much low end stuff at ridiculously high prices.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

"The study focused on the number of lounges in the passenger terminal, designer brand shops, luxury hotels in the area and the availability of champagne and caviar before boarding."

Very narrow criteria.

Not really a contradiction of the poor ranking previously made public which considered a broader set of factors.

This rating is for the world of travellers unknown to the average AN user.

(I know, not you Mr. Bigshot, but the average AN member).

I mean we have a member that had never heard of caviar?

I have never tasted it, but I have known of its disgusting existence since I was a child.

I'm gonna go Google champagne now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

This report was only about the high end traveller, not your average passenger. The report states it;

“looked at which terminals offered at least 10 lounges, surveyed the number of designer shops available, noted the number of luxury hotels in the area, and checked whether travellers could find perks like Champagne or caviar before boarding.”

https://www.travelandleisure.com/dubai-international-airport-most-luxurious-airport-in-world-study-8603681

The same website has a different top ten for it’s “Readers' 10 Favourite International Airports of 2023”

https://www.travelandleisure.com/best-international-airports-2023-7551696

I would have thought that Business Travellers were also among the travelling "elite"?