Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi soars to seventh heaven in luxury airport rankings

webfact

1 hour ago, blazes said:

soars to seventh heaven

What kind of sub-neanderthal mind could have dredged up so ludicrous a headline?

"The seventh level of Paradise is Dar us Salam. Dar us Salam means “home of peace and safety”, adobe of well-being." (googled that). It is month of Ramadam, so appropriate to use Islamic references...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the availability of champagne and caviar before boarding.

Well no I'm really miffed, nobody at Swampy has ever offered me champagne and caviar before my economy class flight, lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

designer brand shops, luxury hotels in the area and the availability of champagne and caviar before boarding.

That's it then I will never go there again! Unless to pick up or drop someone off, Oh wait I could be nicked for that, I'd better avoid the place completely.

Are there really that many travelers like this? Would they really choose their airports based on whether they're likely to be able to toss down a quick guzzle of Dom Perignon on their way to the gate? Classic Thai response to the unpleasant truth, let's put some lipstick on it and tell 'em it's a beauty queen!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm using Suvarnabumi airport about 16 times per year... 

A few major improvement that I can see are needed.

- Faster Immigration (for Economy Passengers)

- More seating / Resting area's (not lounges)

- Toilets more frequently cleaned

- More dining Options (dinning area's are crowded)

IMO Suvarnabumi airport is good airport - I'm through it regularly, never any baggage hassles or delays. 

Fast track is a perk (with Thai Elite) that makes it a lot more tolerable.

I was recently though, Heathrow, Geneva, Narita and Doha....    

Doha is obviously more impressive, Narita is a model of efficiently. 

Heathrow T5 is excellent. Geneva clean, but not much there and immigration was a slow nightare.

I think its fare to say Suvarnabumi is not out of place in the above company. 

7 hours ago, Homburg said:

HEATHROW #2??? - Seriously? Anyone who knows LHR would be astonished by that ranking.  How much were these guys paid to come up with that? 

Yes, it is surprising until you look at the factors on which the survey is based. If you stay at the Ritz in central London, travel First Class with limousine transfers, suck oysters and caviar with champagne after check-in, LHR rates high. 

6 hours ago, sambum said:

I would have thought that Business Travellers were also among the travelling "elite"?

Not all.

Some are lower to middle management "errand boys and girls", not sitting in First Class, maybe not even Business Class.

Not necessarily high rollers.

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Hahahahaha,

They've rushed out and had another ' convenient ' poll done!

They are a sad bunch.

Who is "they"?

Here's the original article and the criteria used. They survey was also done in February, so unless the Thai government a) can influence an independent survey conducted without their knowledge, and b) can time travel to go back in time from when the negative one was published, then I would love to know how you think "they" rushed out and did this.

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/blog/worlds-most-luxurious-airports/

11 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

from top 10 worst to top 10 best in a couple of days.

do these people really think we are that stupid ?

It was published in February, Here's the criteria. Which one of these criteria do you question exactly?

It's really a meaningless survey but funny to see all the bitters on here getting so triggered by it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

It was published in February, Here's the criteria. Which one of these criteria do you question exactly?

It's really a meaningless survey but funny to see all the bitters on here getting so triggered by it.

Speaking of triggered... I see you are running around correcting peoples' posts.

So, Run along Champ, I give no <deleted> for you or your links to some <deleted> travel website.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Only last week it was voted by someone that it was one of the worst... so which is it?

It is neither, clearly. The list was for any airport that had more than ten lounges, then they got scores for how many luxury hotels were nearby, how many caviar and champagne outlets there are, how many luxury brand shops there are. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. And yet it triggers people, it is hilarious. 

Suvarnabhumi does have a lot of lounges and luxury brand shops. It's not one of the world's best airports, nor is it anywhere near one of the worst. It is what it is, a slightly above average, middling airport.

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Speaking of triggered... I see you are running around correcting peoples' posts.

So, Run along Champ, I give no <deleted> for you or your links to some <deleted> travel website.

Surprise surprise, you want to criticise it but you don't want to know anything about it in case ti doesn't reflect your prejudice. Ignore me if you like, keep shouting in to your echo chamber, you'll be happier there.

And I'm not triggered, but when I am presented with information that seems unlikely (Suvarnabhumi being a top luxury airport) I like to check it out before I inform an opinion and yes, I will correct people who base their opinion on nothing more than prejudice or without doing the slightest bit of research - I found the original survey and criteria in about three minutes. But rather than do that you all jump around and say it is bribery, "they've" done this quickly (even though it was done a month ago) etc etc. Very boring, yet very predictable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

The study focused on the number of lounges in the passenger terminal, designer brand shops, luxury hotels in the area and the availability of champagne and caviar before boarding.

Criteria that doesn’t actually matter to 99% of passengers. 😕

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:
16 hours ago, webfact said:

The study focused on the number of lounges in the passenger terminal, designer brand shops, luxury hotels in the area and the availability of champagne and caviar before boarding.

Very true....   the criteria listed (eg Champagne and caviar) is completely ridiculous from the 'evaluation of an airport' even from a luxury perspective.... 

That said - regardless of what the criteria is - I find Suvarnabumi Airport quite a decent airport... I've travelled through it so often, a few hundred times and never have any issues......

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

And I am one of them.

You can't beat being a Gold member and met off the airbridge on a flight, taken by the hand into a waiting vehicle, and whisked off to the VIP lounge in Doha by a lovely, attentive, friendly Kenyan hostess.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very true....   the criteria listed (eg Champagne and caviar) is completely ridiculous from the 'evaluation of an airport' even from a luxury perspective.... 

That said - regardless of what the criteria is - I find Suvarnabumi Airport quite a decent airport... I've travelled through it so often, a few hundred times and never have any issues......

I find it the same, as long as it caters for your needs and is relatively easy to negotiate, that's all that matters, and of course nice clean toilets whilst you are making your way through the said airport.

My favourite is Doha because I get free, meet and greet and am taken to the lounge by a knowledgeable friendly hostess.

No stress.

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Who is "they"?

Here's the original article and the criteria used. They survey was also done in February, so unless the Thai government a) can influence an independent survey conducted without their knowledge, and b) can time travel to go back in time from when the negative one was published, then I would love to know how you think "they" rushed out and did this.

Chill out,

Not the end of the world. Stop getting the urge to bounce around proving unimportant stuff.

My choice comes in at number 3, Hamad International and I rate it better than Heathrow.

That's all that matters to me.

That’s garbage. I’ve been to every airport on the list except Doha. None stand out. Most are unpleasant. Seoul/Incheon and Vienna are better than any of them. BKK is okay, but the air conditioning is inadequate. 

Ratings are one thing and usually the chaps conducting the survey seem to have been well fed by those surveyed !!

To get a reliable scope of passenger satisfaction, do the survey directly with passengers waiting to board their flight. Not with some survey international firm that gets perhaps free perks on writing about this or that.

When it comes to passenger comfort, much can be done at Suvarnabhum airport. Increase and open more immigraiton booths arrival and departure. Add more automated passport gates for all visitors on visa on arrival from western nations. No point in having luxury brand shops all over, when passengers often lack seating and device charging booths near the gates. Seating space, lacks at most of the departure gates and that highly challenges the results of such rankings.

• Confused 1