New car for next year!

What type of car?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, BenStark said:

Not only F150 Lightning owners.

https://electrek.co/2023/10/17/half-of-ev-owners-will-go-back-to-an-ice-vehicle-not-counting-you-tesla-drivers-study/

Half of EV owners will go back to an ICE vehicle (not counting you, Tesla drivers) – study

According to this study, 3 main reasons; pricing, charging infrastructure and range anxiety

1. Pricing

Non-Chinese made EVs, particularly US made ones are overpriced and represents poor value for money. The automakers know that, the government knows that. Hence. All the restrictions and tariffs in place on Chinese made EVs. I definitely won’t buy a F150 or Mustang MachE either.

2. Charging infrastructure 

Seems like quite a lot of EV owners in America don’t have access to home charging. A moderately intelligent person would know that this is necessary in order to have a satisfactory ownership experience, as we do here in Thailand. I could be wrong but I believe that not many people have access to home charging either, in countries like Norway and China where EV adoption is the two highest in the world. The difference of course is that the States does not invest in infrastructure for the benefit of its citizens, preferring to invest in the MIC instead whereas in Norway and China, chargers are easily available everywhere. Upkeep and maintenance of the charging equipment seems to leave a lot to be desired (in the States) with many of them out of service. 

3. Range anxiety 

America and China are similarly sized countries so one would imagine that motorists in both countries travel similar distances. The issue American EV owners face is related to point 2, poor charging infrastructure en-route. Here in Thailand, not one EV owner on the forum has any issues with range.

So in summary, the issue is not the EV itself but the supporting infrastructure. Some countries (and a particular manufacturer) got it right whereas some others, particularly US and the UK aren’t up to the job.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, BenStark said:

Not only F150 Lightning owners.

https://electrek.co/2023/10/17/half-of-ev-owners-will-go-back-to-an-ice-vehicle-not-counting-you-tesla-drivers-study/

Half of EV owners will go back to an ICE vehicle (not counting you, Tesla drivers) – study

That's obviously location dependent, and doubt if that would apply to TH, where EV purchasers in TH, seem to have more choices of quality and affordable cars, and the intelligence to purchase what's good for them.

Since OP is wanting a truck, not sure how EVs even pop up in the discussion.  But hey, never pass up an opportunity to bash EVs with surveys from outside of TH.   Can you get any more off topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

For that sort of money, you can't go past Toyota. 

i bought a triton new early 2016, never missed a beat. nothing has gone wrong,

would i choose another one - yes as i like the latest model, didn't like the 2019 to 2023 model,

will i buy another one - no need,  the one i have is just fine, does all i want it to do, but its not the only vehicle i have

• Thumbs Up 1

My advice is make your shortlist and test drive them all.  There is a big difference, only two in that list drive well.

I have had 2 new pickups, first was a top spec Vigo (3.0 Auto G) and 2nd was a top spec Ford (Ranger Wildtrak 3.2).

The Ford was a far superior drive, but I wouldn't recommend keeping it past 5 years and I would take out the extended warranty too.

I borrowed a friends Nissan Navarra top spec, horrible car.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

So in summary, the issue is not the EV itself but the supporting infrastructure.

I never claimed that the EV itself is the issue, the study clearly shows that more than 50% of EV owners turn back to ICE vehicles.

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I never claimed that the EV itself is the issue, the study clearly shows that more than 50% of EV owners turn back to ICE vehicles.

Owning one now, I find that survey hard to believe, and can't imagine 50% being unsatisfied with their choices, along with the same 50%, not doing the slightest research to realize what they were buying.

I think if you surveyed ICEV owners, you'd find many where unsatisfied with their choices.  Myself owning most USA brands, and a couple brands from JP, I can't really say I would be any again.   What does that say, I regretted owning them, not really, as they served their purpose at the time.

But now know better than to limit my choices, not that I ever did, but wouldn't buy any brand that I've owned prior to our MGs.  Value and performance at the MG price point, simply isn't available with any USA or JP brand or model.

At present, would repurchase another MG, or another CH brand, is looking in the future.

ON TOPIC ... got nothing since OP is looking for a truck.   Depending on need, may want to see when and what the BYD truck is all about & when actually available.   Would even consider that myself, as wanting an RV conversion, which would be a pick up or van, neither available just now.  Well T6, but not spec'd or priced to my liking.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

No it doesn't.

The study shows that 50% of owners of some bad EV's switch back.  It's clear Tesla and other Chinese brands don't switch back as they are delighted with their cars.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

It's clear Tesla and other Chinese brands don't switch back as they are delighted with their cars.

The study doesn't even mention Chinese EV, so obviously they didn't even consider them worth, probably because so little are sold in the US.

But when even BYD decides to release their truck first as a hybrid version, that shows they are looking at options other than EV.

Only a blind man, or desperate EV defender, would see what is happening in the EV market worldwide. All major brands are currently investing massive amounts of money in combustion motors. Read the news.

31 minutes ago, BenStark said:

The study doesn't even mention Chinese EV, so obviously they didn't even consider them worth, probably because so little are sold in the US.

But when even BYD decides to release their truck first as a hybrid version, that shows they are looking at options other than EV.

Only a blind man, or desperate EV defender, would see what is happening in the EV market worldwide. All major brands are currently investing massive amounts of money in combustion motors. Read the news.

The study doesn’t mention Chinese EVs because very few are sold in the US. The reason for this has nothing to do with the popularity of Chinese EVs but because of protectionism and China hatred, not unlike some on this forum.

Major brands that are not investing in EVs are those that realise that they have lost the war against Chinese made EVs. They are desperately trying to hang on for their survival, not unlike Kodak, Nokia, RIM etc.

52 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

No it doesn't.

The study shows that 50% of owners of some bad EV's switch back.  It's clear Tesla and other Chinese brands don't switch back as they are delighted with their cars.

Plenty of unhappy Tesla owners out there

Tesla owners are angry about buying their vehicles right before the latest big price cuts—and are letting Elon Musk know: ‘I feel completely duped’

https://fortune.com/2023/09/02/tesla-owners-angry-at-elon-musk-after-new-price-cuts/

MOTORING

New Zealanders share regrets over buying Teslas

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifestyle/2023/09/new-zealanders-share-regrets-over-buying-teslas.html

Disapproval Of Elon Musk Top Reason Why Tesla Model 3 Owners Jump Ship: Survey

Concerns about quality or service are the second reason why Model 3 owners sell their cars and buy from another brand.

https://insideevs.com/news/679146/elon-musk-disapproval-top-reason-for-brand-change/

I have yet to see a single forum member post on here that they are the proud owner of a Tesla other than someone posting they own Tesla stock

8 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

The study doesn’t mention Chinese EVs because very few are sold in the US. The reason for this has nothing to do with the popularity of Chinese EVs but because of protectionism and China hatred, not unlike some on this forum.

Major brands that are not investing in EVs are those that realise that they have lost the war against Chinese made EVs. They are desperately trying to hang on for their survival, not unlike Kodak, Nokia, RIM etc.

Toyota anticipates a record net profit of $30.3B for the fiscal year ending March, fueled by increased sales of hybrid vehicles across significant markets.7 days ago

https://inside.com/campaigns/inside-business-2024-03-06-41884

Toyota’s Hybrid-First Strategy Is Delivering Big Profits

Toyota, the world’s largest automaker, has been criticized for selling few electric vehicles, but its decision to focus on hybrids is paying off financially.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/09/business/toyotas-hybrid-electric-vehicles.html

It doesn't appear that Toyota is desperately trying to hang on for their survival,

See Toyota is what most here prefere (8), but still I have experienced both Mitsubishi and Toyota for more than 40 years, and always felt you get more for the money when buying Mitsubishi.

Toyota have been the most reliable car world wide for decades, so cant go wrong, but still we talking about 500k difference. 

• Thumbs Up 1