What are my options?

I am in the process of leaving Thailand, probably forever.
I have currently a Retirement Visa, NON-O, which expires on 2 April.
I fear that there will be not enough time to have everything ready before that date.

I would need a few weeks more.

I could ask for a Visa Extension, but I would like to avoid to go trough the whole process of getting my Visa extension.
I have the money in the bank and all the necessary documents for an extension.
But getting a TM30 is a PITA as my landlord lives in Hong-Kong and is not very cooperative in making a new TM30 and a new rental contract.

It has been every year the same story with my landlord and I wish to avoid this as I would need only a few weeks more.

A possible solution would be to hire the services of a Visa agency.
But I don't know of any Visa Agency in Korat that can get a TM30/Rental Contract without the usual hassles and how much this will cost.

Any possible options?

13 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Short term let in another villa/apartment/hotel or whatever.

Get a TM 30 that way?

Looking for renting another house/apartment and all the hassles involved (Deposit, new contract, etc.) is not a viable option.
Booking a hotel/condo for a few weeks is an (easy and cheap) option.
Lots of condos to rent starting at 2,500 Baht/month.
But will Immigration accept staying at a hotel/condo for the TM30? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Looking for renting another house/apartment and all the hassles involved (Deposit, new contract, etc.) is not a viable option.
Booking a hotel/condo for a few weeks is an (easy and cheap) option.
Lots of condos to rent starting at 2,500 Baht/month.
But will Immigration accept staying at a hotel/condo for the TM30? 

We do not provide a contract/lease for short term lets. (Less than six months.) Just a deposit and first month paid up front.

Many other companies are similar.

4 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

We do not provide a contract/lease for short term lets. (Less than six months.) Just a deposit and first month paid up front.

Many other companies are similar.

What about the TM30 if contract/lease is short term?

3 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

What about the TM30 if contract/lease is short term?

We provide those and help with immigration if required. We have been doing that since before Covid.

All properties are registered for on-line TM 30.

But once the tenant shows the TM 30, things are usually smooth.

Most tenants now are holiday makers (3 days to 3 months) but during Covid, most were long lets.

38 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

We provide those and help with immigration if required. We have been doing that since before Covid.

All properties are registered for on-line TM 30.

But once the tenant shows the TM 30, things are usually smooth.

Most tenants now are holiday makers (3 days to 3 months) but during Covid, most were long lets.

Where are you located?

41 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

This has been explained already in other threads.
I am 70 years old and will need to go on Kidney Dialyses soon which is a very huge expense for me.
On top of that, there will be other surgeries required (replacement of the hips) in the near future which are very expensive in Thailand.
Best choice for me is to move back to Europe where medical interventions are free.

UK? Not quite so easy if you fly in to LHR. And LOOOONG NHS waiting for hips etc.

Rubber dinghy to Dover and yes, everything is covered.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

This has been explained already in other threads.
I am 70 years old and will need to go on Kidney Dialyses soon which is a very huge expense for me.
On top of that, there will be other surgeries required (replacement of the hips) in the near future which are very expensive in Thailand.
Best choice for me is to move back to Europe where medical interventions are free.

I have the same concern regarding long term health care here. 

I'd like to apply for Thai Citizenship - but don't meet the criteria (I don't work here) - so, I'm not sure what decent long term options there is other than to move back to the UK at some point. 

I've already gone through over 800,000 baht worth of medical expenses this year (just bad timing with two injuries from sports) - but my insurance premiums are not too crazy...   but upon entering my 50's I'm getting premiums will start to sky-rocket and decent healthcare will be tricky. 

Travel insurance is a no goer...  they're already delaying with a current claim from an overseas injury (4 weeks ago and are being very difficult to deal with).

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, border runs and even flight out and back not simple from Korat. 

However seems a possible solution.

I fail to see how a border run can extend my Retirement Visa.
When my Visa expires, on 2 April, it can not be extended with a Border Run as far as I know.

55 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have the same concern regarding long term health care here. 

I'd like to apply for Thai Citizenship - but don't meet the criteria (I don't work here) - so, I'm not sure what decent long term options there is other than to move back to the UK at some point. 

I've already gone through over 800,000 baht worth of medical expenses this year (just bad timing with two injuries from sports) - but my insurance premiums are not too crazy...   but upon entering my 50's I'm getting premiums will start to sky-rocket and decent healthcare will be tricky. 

Travel insurance is a no goer...  they're already delaying with a current claim from an overseas injury (4 weeks ago and are being very difficult to deal with).

I am lucky that I never gave up my foreign citizenship and could travel back to Europe when I needed it.

In 2018, I was diagnosed with a severe Aortic Aneurysm.
Surgery prices were extimated at 1,8 million baht.
I took the airplane back to Europe and had the surgery done for (almost) free.

In 2022, I needed to change my PM
Price estimates were around 250,000 baht.
Fly to Europe and got a new PM for free.

But at 70, health care prices are getting high and there is no guarantee that I will be able to fly if I need a surgery again or expensive hospital care.
So, better to go back when I still can.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

100% most sensible decision. 

Another reason is that when I am back in Europe and I would want to visit Thailand, I can benefit from the FREE TOURIST HEALTH INSURANCE (Europ Assistance) which will REPATRIATE me for free if it's possible (only available for TOURISTS).
If I can not be repatriated, the insurance will pay my hospitalisation expenses in Thailand.
No need to start a GoFund.me page.
https://www.europ-assistance.com/

Edited by Confuscious
added link
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Who is talking about the UK?
I guess you assume that everybody is a Brit?

Isnt everyone these days !!!🤣  Best of luck with your plans , Health comes first!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Korat immigration asks on each Visa Extension for a new TM30 and a new Rental Contract.
Has been already many years like this.

Wow makes Jomtien seem easy in comparison

17 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I could ask for a Visa Extension, but I would like to avoid to go trough the whole process of getting my Visa extension.

So what's the problem. Your current TM30 status is saved in the computer at Immigration.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

So what's the problem. Your current TM30 status is saved in the computer at Immigration.

16 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Korat immigration asks on each Visa Extension for a new TM30 and a new Rental Contract.
Has been already many years like this.

13 hours ago, Confuscious said:

So come on, tell us which European country you are going to.

13 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Yeah, it´s a side effect from living with the illusion THEY won world war two.

However, my advice for you, would be to just scrap the yearly retirement extension, and take a trip to Vietnam for a week. After, just enter at an airport on visa exempt. If not enough, that one can be extended at immigration for 1900 baht. Another viable option is to apply for a tourist visa at Savannakhet or Vientiane. Will of course be a little bit more paperwork but fairly straight forward. Good luck with your health.

17 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I am in the process of leaving Thailand, probably forever.
I have currently a Retirement Visa, NON-O, which expires on 2 April.
I fear that there will be not enough time to have everything ready before that date.

I would need a few weeks more.

But getting a TM30 is a PITA as my landlord lives in Hong-Kong and is not very cooperative in making a new TM30 and a new rental contract.

It has been every year the same story with my landlord and I wish to avoid this as I would need only a few weeks more.

A possible solution would be to hire the services of a Visa agency.
But I don't know of any Visa Agency in Korat that can get a TM30/Rental Contract without the usual hassles and how much this will cost.

Any possible options?

I have been retired in Chiang Mai for going on 13 years but have always used an agency as they know any local immigration twists and turns and the personalities at Immigration. No issues with qualifications, only for ease. The last house I rented, I had a 3 years lease agreement. We stayed 5 years, never bothering to update the agreement ... it was never questioned by Immigration as the address remained the same and they already had the owners ID, etc. just passing on my experience as a thought ... maybe not need for TM30 update?