Immigration releases statement on crackdowns on foreign offenders

webfact

1 hour ago, Drumbuie said:

The clue is in the word "retirement". 
If you've worked your whole life, the chance to get up without an alarm going off, to read without interruptions, to write (I thoroughly recommend getting your life story down 'on paper' as part of your spiritual 'death-cleaning'), to go to the cinema/theatre/concerts/art galleries, to make and meet up with friends, to learn new skills (have you tried an art class?), to explore at leisure, to wander occasionally with no purpose other than looking around at life, to sit down and appreciate a beautiful view without looking at one's phone/watch to check the time.... it's wonderful.

Seriously, perhaps if you didn't want to stop working,   you shouldn't have applied for a retirement visa?

So you claim work till you die or retire and do nothing.. Everything you name sounds nice but it is not...Try to play bridge..or even try to get or bring friends or family to the airport. last week you read what will happen. Even working in the garden or cleaning is not allowed as it is a protected job and the views are being disturbed by boing boing boing music from miles away... Siting on the beach or in  coffeeshop after 14.00 you can't buy a beer or something till 17.00. No nothing is allowed in fact so tell me why should people come to THailand to retire

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Noah K said:

That's not entirely true. If you have a Thai partner you can pretty much open whatever business you want. I know lots of people that are retired expats. And they like not working. They enjoy gardening, collecting, hiking, biking, etc. I found that working was interfering with my hobbies. Been living here more than fours years now, never bored, never want another job.

But you are not working in the shop/restaurant... see what happens if you don't have a workpermit..Examples enough even today on this forum

Easiest crackdown and the way to get rid of pot less rif raff- arrest anyone one with an extension from a province they don't live in obtained by bribery via an agent.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Did you retire here looking for a job, then you are not a retiree. Thailand is not perfect but immigration has a job to do and it is with foreign visitors. It does no good to complain about precieved lapses in arresting Thais , which they do on a daily basis, as immigration police are tasked with policing the people who arrive here for a visit.

No I am not looking for a job, but volunteer work is no work... sweeping leaves at the temple or helping out people without payment.. You are not retired yet so you will not understand...

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, 2baht said:

Yes, clean up those bloody foreigners! They're everywhere! Easily identified by the color of their hair! (and mostly taller than locals). :jap:

Let us hope it is not the usual walk the talk but only while it is newsworthy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

They have clue.. They see all foreigners as tourists for a few weeks to spend their money here and leave. Long term expats and retirees are allowed here to sit at their home travel around the country and drink coffee, and the latest pay tax.. But they are not allowed to do even some volunteer work which on a retiring visa is impossible because you can't get a workpermit for free work on it.  So sit at home watch TV and go drink coffee and sometimes travel around ... That is retirement in Thailand and they are wondering why there are no people coming.

You need a work permit for everything that a Thai can't do, so no jobs left for long term expats

Try and employ a kitchen assistant or front of house lady, business owners are pulling there hair out (not the staffs there own) 

They can crack down all they want. Last time I was in Pattaya and tooling around late one night. I thought I was in a gangster movie. Pass.  No way this is going to change anytime soon.

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

This was Thaksin's mantra the first time round.

Not a coincidence that the anti-foreigner rhetoric all ramps up again now that he is back in charge.

What utter nonsense! I was living and working in Thailand when Mr T was the right full and voted for PM. Everything was rosie for expats, life was free of persecution, border runs a thing of life. Everything changed with the coup and the persecution started: Visa rules changed, schools started replacing native speaking teachers with Philippine teachers and the list goes on. Same again happened with the recent coup. 800k, 400k requirements and more persecution....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

They should keep up with the news a bit more. Clearly, to solve all the problems they only need to ban people from Switzerland, since it's Swiss who've been causing all the problems in the last week or so. They're giving the angelic tourists from Britain an Australia a bad name! lol

And America

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Listen to all the American Karen style babies here whining about being picked on as foreigners. Make no mistake, that's what you sound like, that's what you are: whining babies. If this is so unfair do us all a favor, law enforcement included, and leave. 

the only whing I read on thread is from you, so full of self importance and yet so lost 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, proton said:

Easiest crackdown and the way to get rid of pot less rif raff- arrest anyone one with an extension from a province they don't live in obtained by bribery via an agent.

Oh dear, a hi-so member struts his stuff..........:saai:

• Like 1

BMW - as far as you can see. Cheaper vehicles would allow better training which then would do away with "tourist" police. Is the "Thai" police as forcefully represented in the media? The police budget must be astronomical ........... 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I wonder if they know how they look to foreign tourists visiting the country? 

Brown-shirts with Kraut-Rommel hats, or dressed up in full SWAT gear like they are ready to take down Bin Laden.

Best of luck explaining who Bin Laden was.🤩

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

They have clue.. They see all foreigners as tourists for a few weeks to spend their money here and leave. Long term expats and retirees are allowed here to sit at their home travel around the country and drink coffee, and the latest pay tax.. But they are not allowed to do even some volunteer work which on a retiring visa is impossible because you can't get a workpermit for free work on it.  So sit at home watch TV and go drink coffee and sometimes travel around ... That is retirement in Thailand and they are wondering why there are no people coming.

You need a work permit for everything that a Thai can't do, so no jobs left for long term expats

First time I hear that there are no people coming. Surely some are leaving, but the number of those who want in seems to increase if anything. Check out the visa section of this forum.

As for retirement in Thailand, you described a lifestyle which is not that bad, is it? But you forgot an important item that retirees can do and do a lot: marry a local woman. Quite different from 'few weeks and leave'.

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I wonder if it has even dawned on them why so many criminals head for Thailand?……

IT’S BECAUSE YOUR POLICE FORCE AND POLITICIANS ARE TOTALLY CORRUPT!

When a policeman stops you and demands B200 because he can, how easy would it be to get him to do your bidding if a few thousand Baht was offered?

8 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Because it's easy to get into the country, work illegally, or set up a business to employ illegal immigrants by bribing. My take on this is that all foreigners (except genuine tourists), including perpetual tourists, must be dealt with harshly, even for a minor infraction, unless they are from the neighboring countries. Foreigners and perpetual tourists who cannot live a decent life in their home country, let alone find a woman in their own land, travel 10,000 miles for a decent life, and then engage in working illegally, setting up businesses illegally, and overstaying. All these people must be dealt with very harshly to remind them that they cannot come to Thailand and violate local laws. 

".......working illegally, setting up businesses illegally, and overstaying."

Surely it's the "criminals and scumbags" that should be targeted - not those wanting to work, and overstayers to my mind do not normally fall into either of those categories.

Edited by sambum

9 hours ago, motdaeng said:

just don't let every criminal into thailand ... a win win for the thai people and also for the "normal" foreign living in thailand ...

and ask yourself, why is thailand a favourite destination for criminals and scumbags ...

what goes around comes around i.e. with a law in any aspect made for misuse due to cultural inherited corruption on any level in the population.

Felt

1 hour ago, proton said:

Well blow me down with a feather. A mouth with a spoon to stir. I could go on but you ain't worth the effort.

Just now, Surasak said:

Well blow me down with a feather. A mouth with a spoon to stir. I could go on but you ain't worth the effort.

Go on force yourself, agent users are taking the pee with no funds in the bank and paying bribes to get extensions. They should all be arrested, charged and deported.

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Go on force yourself, agent users are taking the pee with no funds in the bank and paying bribes to get extensions. They should all be arrested, charged and deported.

You may well be correct, but taring everyone with the same brush is not the way, or are you trying to cover your own rear end!?

47 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

First time I hear that there are no people coming. Surely some are leaving, but the number of those who want in seems to increase if anything. Check out the visa section of this forum.

As for retirement in Thailand, you described a lifestyle which is not that bad, is it? But you forgot an important item that retirees can do and do a lot: marry a local woman. Quite different from 'few weeks and leave'.

You are funny and you reply as a Thai...

10 hours ago, 2baht said:

Yes, clean up those bloody foreigners! They're everywhere! Easily identified by the color of their hair! (and mostly taller than locals). :jap:

What hair?

2 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Are you calling me a scumbag?

What you are is none of my business so No. I was calling out Corruption/ Incompetence and Greed in Thai society which allows these nuisance of foreigners to make Thailand their base. 

2 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Well then lets meet at the Thai Police Station on Beach road and fight it out, like some local guys a did a few weeks ago.

If you are looking for a fight you just missed a national spectacle held in Bangkok few days proudly presented by home grown Katoeys where public lynching of Pilipinos Kotoeys were displayed as per tradition. I am sure other Katoeys on the Bech road would be happy to grace you with membership of Fight club and No I didn’t call you Katoey either.

Stop UK criminals by demanding an enhanced DBS disclosure as part of the visa application process. I don't know if other countries have similar systems but it shows criminal.record including if someone is on the sex offenders register and can be accessed online by the person making the check

Edited by RobU
Typo

14 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

What you are is none of my business so No. I was calling out Corruption/ Incompetence and Greed in Thai society which allows these nuisance of foreigners to make Thailand their base. 

If you are looking for a fight you just missed a national spectacle held in Bangkok few days proudly presented by home grown Katoeys where public lynching of Pilipinos Kotoeys were displayed as per tradition. I am sure other Katoeys on the Bech road would be happy to grace you with membership of Fight club and No I didn’t call you Katoey either.

Sarcasm is all.