Immigration releases statement on crackdowns on foreign offenders

webfact

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Looking forward to a link for your claim.

Apologies regarding my earlier post, I was actually searching regarding digital nomads needing a work visa when I came across it and it's actually on the Thai Embassy website where it reads:

However, there is another section of Thai law that applies to this situation which is that when this is a small family business he is allowed to take care of his family. So in practice, normally no work permit is enforced.

It can be found here under the section Other Related Cases.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-digital-nomad-visa-and-work-permit

Edited by Trip Hop
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trip Hop said:

The brother-in-law told me about it but I also came across it not so long back when researching it online.  I haven't got time to look for it myself right now but if you have, it can be found on the website of either Siam Legal or a similar website.  If I get time later to find it myself, I will post it. 

A member has previously reported that his immigration office advised him saying; 'Of course you are permitted to assist your wife in her business, this is what couples do'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you make an unsourced claim that working without a work permit is permitted depending on circumstances.

Is that humble pie I see you eating?  And how is it unsourced when it has come from a Bangkok lawyer with near 40 years experience?

Edited by Trip Hop
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

Apologies regarding my earlier post, I was searching regarding digital nomads needing a work visa when I came across it and it's actually on the Thai Embassy website where it reads:

However, there is another section of Thai law that applies to this situation which is that when this is a small family business he is allowed to take care of his family. So in practice, normally no work permit is enforced.

It can be found here under the section Other Related Cases.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thailand-digital-nomad-visa-and-work-permit

Thanks.

"Normally no work permit is enforced. "

So substantially different from your earlier claim. I do agree that in the sticks it is less likely to lead to problems than in tourist hotspots, but that is the same for all law violations, including riding without a helmet or DL.

Edited by stevenl
  • Confused 1

Is there a reason you omitted this from your quote?

"If the foreigner is only sitting in the restaurant but not serving customers, not training or managing staff, not cooking and not buying supplies, then he does NOT need a work permit for this. But if he is involved in any of these activities, officially he does need a work permit."

Edited by stevenl
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Is there a reason you omitted this from your quote?

"If the foreigner is only sitting in the restaurant but not serving customers, not training or managing staff, not cooking and not buying supplies, then he does NOT need a work permit for this. But if he is involved in any of these activities, officially he does need a work permit."

Not really except that I thought to post the whole text would be too much?  You clearly doubted my claim and even went to the extent of trying to belittle me by accusing me of a posting an unsourced claim.  I have in return clearly proved to you the contrary, period.  Whilst you quote the above text to try and save face, it is taken partially out of context in that my original quote of. "However, there is another section of Thai law that applies to this situation which is that when this is a small family business he is allowed to take care of his family. So in practice, normally no work permit is enforced", comes after what you have quoted above and therefore somewhat implies overarching principles?

I have already stated in my original post that even my lawyer brother-in-law has said that me carrying out a full time task would cause issues but occasional small help would not, so why are you nit-picking? 

Edited by Trip Hop
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

Not really except that I thought to post the whole text would be too much?  You clearly doubted my claim and even went to the extent of trying to belittle me by accusing me of a posting an unsourced claim.  I have in return clearly proved to you the contrary, period.  Whilst you quote the above text to try and save face, it is taken partially out of context in that my original quote of. "However, there is another section of Thai law that applies to this situation which is that when this is a small family business he is allowed to take care of his family. So in practice, normally no work permit is enforced", comes after what you have quoted above and therefore somewhat implies overarching principles?

I have already stated in my original post that even my lawyer brother-in-law has said that me carrying out a full time task would cause issues but occasional small help would not, so why are you nit-picking? 

See full quote.

Work permit required, no matter how hard you wiggle.

• Confused 1

Any excuse is good to take out the hate against foreigners in Thailand. Any incident here or there, triggers nationwide xenophobia or racism. No wonder the tourist numbers dwindle and people talk once they get back home and people now get news fast via social media on how countries function.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

See full quote.

Work permit required, no matter how hard you wiggle.

Give over man, are you suggesting that some know-it-all on AseanNow knows more than a Bangkok lawyer with 40 years experience?  Go and find something better to do with your life than trying to bait and troll people.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

Give over man, are you suggesting that some know-it-all on AseanNow knows more than a Bangkok lawyer with 40 years experience?  Go and find something better to do with your life than trying to bait and troll people.

So despite your own link stating "If the foreigner is only sitting in the restaurant but not serving customers, not training or managing staff, not cooking and not buying supplies, then he does NOT need a work permit for this. But if he is involved in any of these activities, officially he does need a work permit."

You still stick to your claim. "Totally correct in that if you are married, there is a not very well known law that states you are allowed to help in a small family run business without a work permit in order to provide for your family."

Do you realise your own source of proof contradicts your claim?

Edited by stevenl
  • Confused 1

What will be next ? Harass foreigners who are themselves doing say a paint job inside their own homes by themselves ??

Some absurd official will consider it as work also and try some tricks for a treat ?

Just now, Sigmund said:

What will be next ? Harass foreigners who are themselves doing say a paint job inside their own homes by themselves ??

Some absurd official will consider it as work also and try some tricks for a treat ?

Only thing absurd here is your post.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

Not matter how much it hurts inside, give it up man! 

Yes, I'm giving up, there really is no point in a discussion with someone who doesn't stand by his own words 

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Yes, I'm giving up, there really is no point in a discussion with someone who doesn't stand by his own words 

You really don’t know just how glad I am to hear that as I’m just off for some fish and chips with my elderly father. 

7 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

Ooh, hark at you?  It would help if you had some knowledge of what you were talking about and a sense of reality before making such a crass suggestion?  Hence the opening comment!  My father always taught me that if I had nothing sensible to say, say nothing; and you could obviously learn from this?  Social inferiority eh?  From your obvious ignorance and lack of real world experience, which is profound from your initial comment, I would be taking a long look in the mirror before suggesting this of others.  Just FYI though I don't have any trouble jetting back and forth the US with work when I need to, so I doubt that anything Thailand brings in will have any effect on me.

Calm down. Please don't get upset. If you work hard and pass your GCSE exams you may succeed and achieve the lifestyle of your lovely fantasy. Perhaps by then you will have matured and learned some manners

1 hour ago, RobU said:

Calm down. Please don't get upset. If you work hard and pass your GCSE exams you may succeed and achieve the lifestyle of your lovely fantasy. Perhaps by then you will have matured and learned some manners

Not another one.  GCE's not GCSE's in my day.  Got 2 degrees in engineering as well as a successful business that I have been running for the last 25 years.  Provides a nice lifestyle and puts me in the top 5th percentile of earners in my country too.  So much for your so called fantasy eh? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

Not another one.  GCE's not GCSE's in my day.  Got 2 degrees in engineering as well as a successful business that I have been running for the last 25 years.  Provides a nice lifestyle and puts me in the top 5th percentile of earners in my country too.  So much for your so called fantasy eh? 

Now you just need some manners and comprehensive reading ability and you're there.

23 hours ago, stevenl said:

Now you just need some manners and comprehensive reading ability and you're there.

Apologies but idiots with no sense of reality bring out the worst in me. They simply don’t warrant courtesy. 

On 3/14/2024 at 1:36 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

Wahhh, are they picking on you and your drinking buddies again? One snarky comment reveals you so succinctly, amazing. So entitled. Like an American Karen. How old are you? Pointing the finger like a 5 year old at the other kids as if you're personally being singled out? "But Johnny Somchai did this, Sally Wongsuwong did that". Wahhh. BTW, you have one thing right - Thais ARE citizens, and 99% of them ARE model citizens. So as citizens there is no deportation for them. As it should be. Wahhh so unfair. If you're not a citizen Thailand has every right to hold you to a high standard of behavior with stiff penalties for transgressions. You're trespassing in someone else's country. How does YOUR country treat immigrants? In my 10 years here the worst offenders I've seen have all been foreigners. I see disrespect to Thailand by foreigners all the time. Probably farang just like you. My suggestion is you further your education in order to avoid further embarrassment to yourself with comments such as this. Maybe you can find a Thai elementary school that will take you. The kids can give you the basics on "model" citizenry. Or, just self deport. Thailand really doesn't need you or your attitude. And most of us ex pats would not be sad to see you go. Lakon, don't let the door hit you on your way out. 

Wow, that was a rather strong reply, but it was very amusing so I applaud you for that.

The one thing that has always struck me over the many years that I've been here, is that there really is no such thing as a deterrent when it comes to the police nor the highway patrol, so as you say most Thais really are model citizens, in a sense that they're behaving because they think it's the right thing to do. Where I come from alot of people behave because they know the consequences of not behaving are incredibly harsh. It's really not the case here if you think about, it is a testament to how good hearted most Thais are, and that is quite profound. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Total BS. They should be arrested and deported. You cannot just go to any country and start working. 

I say that I like Thailand better than my own country, and you call it BS? How do you know what I or anybody else thinks of their countries? 

If you are going to reply to a post make sure that your answer is relevant to the point made or your post may well be considered BS!!!

There has just been another well publicised incident today involving two foreigners, one a 38yo New Zealander.

Apparently, they assaulted a cop after speeding through a Police checkpoint on a motorbike. The cop followed them to a noodle shop, where he was assaulted, and his gun was taken. There's photos of the cop in a headlock and one of the farang brandishing his handgun.

The two foreigners have been arrested. 

This stuff is not gonna be good for us law-abiding farangs for sure.

• Agree 1

On 3/16/2024 at 12:12 AM, Trip Hop said:

Sorry not to have replied before I was I little busy this weekend.

You are a child probably between the age of 14 and 16. You get home from school around 4 to 4:30 pm. You bolt down some food then go to your room sit rigidly in front of your computer and trawl the internet forums looking for victims to display your alleged superiority and insult. You do this because you can't make or keep friends, you are a very lonely child probably diagnosed with ADHD which has turned into full blown Asperger's syndrome. You build fantasies which you try to impersonate an adult with qualifications and a lifestyle that you aspire to. The thing that lets you down is your complete lack of understanding that your bragging is worthless because you cannot demonstrate any evidence of the claims you make about yourself. 

In fact you're a sessile juvenile with an infantile emotional index spouting puerile comments and fantasies that you can't prove in any way shape or form.  🤣😂

Your turn

In fact I am growing a little tired of this, I'll let you have the last word l. Away you go...

Edited by RobU

On 3/14/2024 at 7:55 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess that's another way of saying until now they didn't care about such law violators.

What else did they not do while they were paid to do their job?

That's right! Every so often, in Pattaya and Phuket, they have to reaffirm their resolve to do their duty, suggesting that most of the time they don't. It's quite stupid advertising that they don't normally do their jobs.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 7:13 AM, ikke1959 said:

They have clue.. They see all foreigners as tourists for a few weeks to spend their money here and leave. Long term expats and retirees are allowed here to sit at their home travel around the country and drink coffee, and the latest pay tax.. But they are not allowed to do even some volunteer work which on a retiring visa is impossible because you can't get a workpermit for free work on it.  So sit at home watch TV and go drink coffee and sometimes travel around ... That is retirement in Thailand and they are wondering why there are no people coming.

You need a work permit for everything that a Thai can't do, so no jobs left for long term expats

Can Thais retire to your country and work without any problem?