Immigration releases statement on crackdowns on foreign offenders

webfact

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

This was Thaksin's mantra the first time round.

Not a coincidence that the anti-foreigner rhetoric all ramps up again now that he is back in charge.

I remember him doing a tour of the new airport in Bangkok before it opened and demanding to know why there were so many signs in English. And on the day he had demanded it be ready for opening, and it wasn't, he took a flight from there to Don Muang to demonstrate that the airport was indeed open on time. Even though it was closed again after his flight.

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

They have clue.. They see all foreigners as tourists for a few weeks to spend their money here and leave. Long term expats and retirees are allowed here to sit at their home travel around the country and drink coffee, and the latest pay tax.. But they are not allowed to do even some volunteer work which on a retiring visa is impossible because you can't get a workpermit for free work on it.  So sit at home watch TV and go drink coffee and sometimes travel around ... That is retirement in Thailand and they are wondering why there are no people coming.

You need a work permit for everything that a Thai can't do, so no jobs left for long term expats

Did you retire here looking for a job, then you are not a retiree. Thailand is not perfect but immigration has a job to do and it is with foreign visitors. It does no good to complain about precieved lapses in arresting Thais , which they do on a daily basis, as immigration police are tasked with policing the people who arrive here for a visit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Listen to all the American Karen style babies here whining about being picked on as foreigners. Make no mistake, that's what you sound like, that's what you are: whining babies. If this is so unfair do us all a favor, law enforcement included, and leave. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

They have clue.. They see all foreigners as tourists for a few weeks to spend their money here and leave. Long term expats and retirees are allowed here to sit at their home travel around the country and drink coffee, and the latest pay tax.. But they are not allowed to do even some volunteer work which on a retiring visa is impossible because you can't get a workpermit for free work on it.  So sit at home watch TV and go drink coffee and sometimes travel around ... That is retirement in Thailand and they are wondering why there are no people coming.

You need a work permit for everything that a Thai can't do, so no jobs left for long term expats

The clue is in the word "retirement". 
If you've worked your whole life, the chance to get up without an alarm going off, to read without interruptions, to write (I thoroughly recommend getting your life story down 'on paper' as part of your spiritual 'death-cleaning'), to go to the cinema/theatre/concerts/art galleries, to make and meet up with friends, to learn new skills (have you tried an art class?), to explore at leisure, to wander occasionally with no purpose other than looking around at life, to sit down and appreciate a beautiful view without looking at one's phone/watch to check the time.... it's wonderful.

Seriously, perhaps if you didn't want to stop working,   you shouldn't have applied for a retirement visa?

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you read again carefully you'll see that he didn't claim that ALL are crims and scumbags.

Awww, reading carefully is too much work, complaining is more fun, so is blaming others for your own misfortunes

• Like 1

“They also conducted security inspections in the Old Town area of Phuket, distributing informational materials and promoting the Tourist Police hotline at 1155, which offers translation services 24/7.”

what has this got to do with deporting foreigners who break the law? Do they expect them to call the tourist police hotline and report themselves?

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Noah K said:

That's not entirely true. If you have a Thai partner you can pretty much open whatever business you want. I know lots of people that are retired expats. And they like not working. They enjoy gardening, collecting, hiking, biking, etc. I found that working was interfering with my hobbies. Been living here more than fours years now, never bored, never want another job.

Wasn't there an article a few days ago reporting on a crackdown on companies with nominee shareholders that included Thai wives?

Edited by gravity101
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The immigration should start their clamp downs at the airport before they even get in, if they were to search all their luggage it would be easy to spot some one who intends to work here, 

Open millions of cases on arrival, now why didn't I think of that..........:huh:

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Noah K said:

That's not entirely true. If you have a Thai partner you can pretty much open whatever business you want. I know lots of people that are retired expats. And they like not working. They enjoy gardening, collecting, hiking, biking, etc. I found that working was interfering with my hobbies. Been living here more than fours years now, never bored, never want another job.

Awww, don't spoil the fun of blaming his woes on others, and especially don't spoil the fun of complaining about things he doesn't, and never will, understand. People who love to complain and blame rather than take responsibility for their own lives and their own happiness. Complaining is all they have because they never built anything out of their lives. 

7 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

“They also conducted security inspections in the Old Town area of Phuket, distributing informational materials and promoting the Tourist Police hotline at 1155, which offers translation services 24/7.”

what has this got to do with deporting foreigners who break the law? Do they expect them to call the tourist police hotline and report themselves?

Well why don't you just march your indignant little farang fanny into their offices and demand an explanation! Tell them you're Donald Trump, I'm sure they'll be impressed. 

But they are not allowed to do even some volunteer work which on a retiring visa is impossible because you can't get a workpermit for free work on it

A young teacher recently approached me about volunteering at school (even knowing that I am not a native speaker).

I was sorry to decline and tell her about the hassle with immigration and work permit needed (and likely a formal qualification).

• Confused 1

They open up visa exempt to Russia, China, Kazakhstan etc.

90 day to Russians. Do they expect that hordes of wealthy Russians will throw money for an expensive 90 day Phuket holiday?

• Confused 2

Thailand as the right to protect and secure its country & nationals as they seem fit. It's a very fine line when criminals take advantage & laws have to be changed that don't go down with the law-abiding expats, who normally feel the full force of any crackdowns.

8 hours ago, 2baht said:

Yes, clean up those bloody foreigners! They're everywhere! Easily identified by the color of their hair! (and mostly taller than locals). :jap:

Have we actually read the piece? Why was the Chinese Cosulate-General involved and got in the photo shoot as well? Can you really tell the difference by their hair colour and height ( Locals and Chinese)?

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Or loose millions for corruption 

2 minutes ago, HonkieH said:

Have we actually read the piece? Why was the Chinese Cosulate-General involved and got in the photo shoot as well? Can you really tell the difference by their hair colour and height ( Locals and Chinese)?

The Chinese are not tourists, they are insurgents! You know, Big Brother!

8 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Corruption? incompetence? Greed? Choose your poison. 

Are you calling me a scumbag? Well then lets meet at the Thai Police Station on Beach road and fight it out, like some local guys a did a few weeks ago.