How can I assimilate myself more into Thai culture?

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

Some recent developments have happened at the smith household.

I have now resigned myself to a life in Thailand,

and failing that a life in South East Asia in general.

I have some questions.

I want to be a better Thai person.

I want to try to assimilate as much as humanely possible into this culture.

Maybe one day I will renounce my citizenship of birth and become 100% Thai.

Has anyone got any pointers?

what can I do to be the best Thai that I can currently be?

should I become a monk?

help those in need?

study Buddhism? 

any info from anyone that has extensive experience of assimilating into Thai culture would be greatly appreciated.

bob.

You will never be a Thai person, a few on here think they are because they paid out the wonga, but they are not.........🤭

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Bob. you do more U-turns than the Government , I am going , no I'm not,I am going,

no I am not , get off the booze could be a start for you ,but I don't think you would last...

regards Worgeordie

Yes, it is sadly one of the symptoms of alcoholism. 

Moments of clarity followed by intense moments of despair and desperation.

I am actually on my way to the pub now..

bob.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

"How can I assimilate myself more into Thai culture?"

Initially you must want to assimilate.

Forget about it, Bob.

But I do want to.

bob.

Go to a few luktung/morlam/likay/ramwong/kantrum concert, thousands of Thais and you will be the only white face, can't get more assimilated than that, especially if you smuggle drink in then start dancing!

Leaned more about Thais at concerts than anywhere else

Edited by proton

you  dont have to assimilate into it, as  long  as you obey the rules the Thais  do it  should be no problem, unlike my own country where you can get benefits from the govt , here you  will get nothing,  no need to assimilate, just be polite , but no need to  follow much of their "culture" its  often drivel

30 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Yes, it is sadly one of the symptoms of alcoholism. 

Moments of clarity followed by intense moments of despair and desperation.

I am actually on my way to the pub now..

bob.

have a  drink , youll feel better.

3 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

That could be a problem.  Some Thai people I have encountered really turn me off because I have tried to speak the language properly but they smirk and look at me as if I am idiot.  "no credit for effort".  I got the message very clearly.  I rarely try and speak Thai now. 

Spot on, all this they like it when you speak Thai and are happy to help is not something I have ever come across, and the Mrs teaches it. She's one of the worst critics, not worth the bother.

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

I want to try to assimilate as much as humanely possible into this culture.

Step one - lose the delusional nonsense.

This idea of 'wanting to assimilate and be Thai is ridiculous nonsense, the stupidity of such a comment suggests a troll thread... 

People don't need to assimilate to enjoy things here, they just need to be normal... thats it.

But...  IF you are serious about 'enjoying your time here'  instead of constantly complaining or finding reason to dislike something, just look inwards. 

Make effort to enjoy the differences rather than get annoyed at them. 

Understand, things are different and it doesn't mean worse.

Accept poorer service is normal because training is poor.

Don't always jump to the worse most negative conclusion if a better conclusion also exists. 

Attempt to learn the language.

Most importantly, be respectful of others and seem the respectful of you.

Move away from an area populated by low class foreigners and avoid being tarred with the same brush.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I'm actually asking a serious question,. due to severe changes over the recent days.

I am an alcoholic and I have had a moment of clarity.

I now know what I want.

sorry if this comes across as trolling but my mind has been in a thousand different places at the same time over the past few days.

bob.

Most of us know what you need. Stuffing with the rough end of a pineapple.😒

• Haha 2

This site is being taken over by weirdos. First Bull<deleted> Bob and then Gorgeous George, the Florence Nightingale of the Thaiasean mentally disturbed. Disturbed after reading his diatribe.  My brain hurts.:wacko:

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

This site is being taken over by weirdos. First Bull<deleted> Bob and then Gorgeous George, the Florence Nightingale of the Thaiasean mentally disturbed. Disturbed after reading his diatribe.  My brain hurts.:wacko:

You can assimilate more by putting them both on "Ignore"👍

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bob smith said:
2 hours ago, connda said:

Move to North Hollywood.

what's going on there?

bob.

Also known as NoHo it's the arts and LGBT... center of LA.

Perhaps someone thinks it would suit you.

2 hours ago, Trippy said:

No, but I did study Buddhism many years ago. I was invited to be a monk but I declined, too many no-no's for me. But if your really looking at a way to assimilate into Thai culture as the title states, then I think it's the best way for you. Even just for 3 months will cleanse your body and soul.

A few months back a carload of monks turned up at our property and wandered around checking out the farm and the views.

Turned out one was a cousin of the wife. He had been a destructive alcoholic and had become a monk to clean up his life. It appeared to have worked.

A week ago, she got a message that he had been carted off to the "mad house" and was not welcome back at the temple.

It may not be the answer for all.

Seems to me that Bob is caught in a downward spiral.

- Maritial problems (his wife not providing any form of "anchor").

- Not knowing where to go and what to do, despite his ripe age. A very volatile frame of mind as the root cause. A ship on the ocean, trying to navigate without compass.

- Alcoholism.

All that is missing in this desastrus cocktail would be mounting financial problems. Then, the downward spiral would become irreversible. A pattern that I have observed too often among Farangs in Thailand.

OR: Bob is a prankster, just loving to throw controversial issues into the ASEAN Arena. He would not be the only one here.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, proton said:

Go to a few luktung/morlam/likay/ramwong/kantrum concert, thousands of Thais and you will be the only white face, can't get more assimilated than that, especially if you smuggle drink in then start dancing!

Leaned more about Thais at concerts than anywhere else

Do you actually enjoy this music? Played it while reading the posts and the after 5 minutes found it quite unbearable.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Do you actually enjoy this music? Played it while reading the posts and the after 5 minutes found it quite unbearable.

Must do, just got in from a concert, only 4 hours though Nancy Top line Diamond. This is a famous song from a 1967 Indian film, Thais took the tune and re wrote it., was in the Thai film monrak luktung 1970. Peter is the guy.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Yet another post competing with GG for the most ridiculous post of the day.

When you realize you are just below the soi dog who visits occasionally on the pecking order of life in Thailand - THAT is the day you have assimilated.

19 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, I give you the scoop, Bob. This is really going to hurt, and something that you should think very hard before trying.

1. Talk only Thai, and refuse to use any other language.
  2. Do not think about drinking any imported beers or other alcohol. It will be Chang and Lao Khao in your future.
  3. Roll you own cigarettes.
  4. Throw out you washing machine and clean in a bucket with cold water only using your hands.
  5. Remodel your toilet to an old Thai style #hole in the floor" version.
  6. Only cook food in a terracotta oven using charcoal.
  7. Build a new house, but totally ignore the shape of electricity, and do never paint or decorate your inside and outside walls.
  8. Start planting rice.
  9. Change your bar going attitude. Now it will only be full blown parties screaming into a microphone in the local karaoke.
  10. Always walk in flip flops.

On the upside, Bob. You will according to customs have as many mia noi´s as you wish. However, if you wife is into this change as well, she will later feed your precious to the ducks.

11. Only eat rice,

12.only shower using small bucket and cold water,

13 only ride your motorbike when totally plastered on lao khao 

14. Only order som tam at the restaurant/ market 

15. Pay sin sot when getting married 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, bob smith said:

is that what normal Thai men do?

I know a few hardworking Thai males and they don't do this,

bob.

But it's what the Thai woman who the farang marries believes, (and her family also believes and expects that this will and should happen).

13 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

But it's what the Thai woman who the farang marries believes, (and her family also believes and expects that this will and should happen).

but if i don't believe that then where does that leave us?

bob.