How can I assimilate myself more into Thai culture?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, marin said:

Nah bob, too many times. You are the little boy who cried wolf. 

OK, you are entitled to your opinion.

now that you have expressed it, do you feel better about yourself?

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 1

It's really up to the people in you circle to embrace you or not. Good luck. Have you mastered the language?  I mean can you pronounce Thai words with the proper tone?  Yesterday I was told by a local in Chiang Mai that when I said "Niman Soi Hoke" I was completely wrong.  It is "Neeeemaaan Soeeeee Hooooook".  I will never master this language.  I hope you are successful in your attempt at assimilating. I tried and failed miserably. As a native English speaker I do not use tonal inflection to speak but it is important in speaking Thai properly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

It's really up to the people in you circle to embrace you or not. Good luck. Have you mastered the language?  I mean can you pronounce Thai words with the proper tone?  Yesterday I was told by a local in Chiang Mai that when I said "Niman Soi Hoke" I was completely wrong.  It is "Neeeemaaan Soeeeee Hooooook".  I will never master this language.  I hope you are successful in your attempt at assimilating. I tried and failed miserably. As a native English speaker I do not use tonal inflection to speak but it is important in speaking Thai properly. 

Thanks for your kind words.

I can speak Thai but I am not fluent in the use of tones.

bob.

• Haha 1

Just now, bob smith said:

have you done it yourself?

bob.

No, but I did study Buddhism many years ago. I was invited to be a monk but I declined, too many no-no's for me. But if your really looking at a way to assimilate into Thai culture as the title states, then I think it's the best way for you. Even just for 3 months will cleanse your body and soul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Trippy said:

No, but I did study Buddhism many years ago. I was invited to be a monk but I declined, too many no-no's for me. But if your really looking at a way to assimilate into Thai culture as the title states, then I think it's the best way for you. Even just for 3 months will cleanse your body and soul.

any temples that I could look into?

location isnt an issue.

bob.

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

The best way to assimilate into Thai society is to pay for the upkeep of your wife/girlfriend's family and extended family🤔 

is that what normal Thai men do?

I know a few hardworking Thai males and they don't do this,

bob.

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Maybe one day I will renounce my citizenship of birth and become 100% Thai.

Has anyone got any pointers?

Get a job and a work permit and apply for PR. After that, you may apply for citizenship. 

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

bob.

You're not much use to me are you, Turkish😋

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Get a job and a work permit and apply for PR. After that, you may apply for citizenship. 

I am married.

No need for PR. I can go straight to citizenship after 3 years of paying tax.

bob.

The OP can never be 100% Thai, it's a fool's errand. We are farang, and will always be classed as such.

Far better to adjust sensibly. Learn as much of the language as you can. Accept you will be told what a Thai thinks is the answer you want to hear, when you ask any question. Respect Thai customs, even if you think they are stupid. Have a sense of humor, Thais love a joke. Learn what are cultural no-no's, such as shouting, patting the head of a child, or pointing the feet at anyone.

IMO trying to assimilate into Thai culture would be like trying to clean a battleship with a toothbrush.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

I am married.

No need for PR. I can go straight to citizenship after 3 years of paying tax.

bob.

If you are currently paying taxes then you are already assimilated.🧐

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nikmar said:

simples - learn a little Thai  and talk to folk. Even giving the appearance of trying to fit in goes a long way. 

I have tried that a lot in the past.

Sometimes it didnt go down well.

I have been blown out many times when I was just trying to be pleasant with the locals.

This makes me reluctant to keep trying.

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, bob smith said:

bob.

Ok, I give you the scoop, Bob. This is really going to hurt, and something that you should think very hard before trying.

1. Talk only Thai, and refuse to use any other language.
  2. Do not think about drinking any imported beers or other alcohol. It will be Chang and Lao Khao in your future.
  3. Roll you own cigarettes.
  4. Throw out you washing machine and clean in a bucket with cold water only using your hands.
  5. Remodel your toilet to an old Thai style #hole in the floor" version.
  6. Only cook food in a terracotta oven using charcoal.
  7. Build a new house, but totally ignore the shape of electricity, and do never paint or decorate your inside and outside walls.
  8. Start planting rice.
  9. Change your bar going attitude. Now it will only be full blown parties screaming into a microphone in the local karaoke.
  10. Always walk in flip flops.

On the upside, Bob. You will according to customs have as many mia noi´s as you wish. However, if you wife is into this change as well, she will later feed your precious to the ducks.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2