Patong businesses refusing to serve Thai people

webfact

image.jpeg

The President of the Patong Entertainment Business Association has responded to online claims that businesses are refusing to serve Thai people. Weerawit Kreuasombat, without denying the incident, said the “issue isn’t widespread”, saying operators who refuse to serve Thais will usually have a valid reason for doing so (without specifying what that ‘reason’ would be).

According to a Phuket News report, Weerawit says the accusations circulating online are negatively affecting Patong’s tourism reputation. He adds that most businesses in the area are “ready and willing to serve all customers, whether Thai or foreign nationals”.

He said that there are nearly 200 entertainment venues on Soi Bangla, and more than 300 in total throughout Patong.

By Peter Roche 

Full story: PhuketGO 2024-03-14

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Click here:

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I consider Patong to be a blight on planet earth, one of the most horrific places in Thailand, and someplace I hope and pray I never have to go back to. It is even worse than it was 10 years ago, and at least 10 years ago there were some pretty gals to look at. Now? It's like walking around a cow pasture, it's dreadful on every level. 

I hope the Thais boycott the place, the place deserves a boycott. Yikes. 

Its literally a tourist zone like bali. Be happy its on an island. You probably thought yourself a total idiot when you were 20 too.

2 hours ago, lexxy said:

Its literally a tourist zone like bali. Be happy its on an island. You probably thought yourself a total idiot when you were 20 too.

The Southern third of Bali has been spoiled and degraded to the point where it's an abomination. From Ubud north, and on the east coast and the northwest coast it's absolutely delightful. If you could fly into Denpasar, jump on a helicopter and go to Ubud it would be all good, but getting on those roads is just an unbelievable nightmare. Sometimes it's worse than rush hour in Manhattan. 

There are so many things about Bali that I like, but the traffic, the congestion, the overdevelopment and the fact that it's overrun by young Aussies, is something that will likely prevent me from ever going back. 

Right now Patong is the closest thing to Bali within Thailand in terms of just being overcrowded with very low quality tourists, and just incredibly unpleasant for anyone over the age of 22. 

I lived on Samui a long time ago and it was paradise. Right now both Samui and Phuket run the risk of becoming unsustainably over developed, and absolutely unbearable nightmares. 

Edited by spidermike007

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I consider Patong to be a blight on planet earth, one of the most horrific places in Thailand, and someplace I hope and pray I never have to go back to. It is even worse than it was 10 years ago, and at least 10 years ago there were some pretty gals to look at. Now? It's like walking around a cow pasture, it's dreadful on every level. 

I hope the Thais boycott the place, the place deserves a boycott. Yikes. 

Does that mean you had a horrible experience and went back anyway, and after that you pray you do not have to go back?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Does that mean you had a horrible experience and went back anyway, and after that you pray you do not have to go back?

Yes I was hanging out with a friend of mine who was obsessed with Bangla Road, and so I ended up going there twice with him, and yes I did not want to go the second time but I was being friendly to someone that I was hosting from another country so I went anyway. But it was just as dreadful the second time, and I do not think I would ever go back under any circumstances. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

By 15 years experience running an authentic Italian garden restaurant I can share with you, that Thais are - in many cases - difficult as they expect "Thai-style Italian" and "sapechian service" all the way. 

Pizze must be thick manhole lids, served with Roza ketchup, the Bolognese sauce may not contain beef (as they don't eat beef) and Sriracha sauce has also no space on the Italian menu. Duck breasts must be cooked pink (medium) as well done results in chewy affairs. Upon ordering guests were told about it in their language to avoid misunderstandings yet Thais insisted on "well done". Once served, they drove the staff crazy over the chewiness - although they've been told about it ahead. Same with Salmon steaks which should be served slightly soft in the centre for ultimate flavour and dining pleasure. "Al dente" is the proper way to cook pasta; we had a "T" button on the POS system for "Thai" so the kitchen would know to overcook the pasta - as all Thais seem to have a problem with "pasta al dente" (which means slightly bitey - but properly cooked already). 
Table manners = another highlight, specially with children shouting, roaming around and disturbing other diners. Asking parents to take care of their minions resulted in the standard reply was "you know how it is with children, ha ha ha ha".
Another issue was "corkage" for drinks they bring along. Our wine cellar stocked THB 300K; starting from affordable real Italian house wines at THB 120/glass and market-comparable priced spirits. They showed up with their boxes of Mont Clair and Castle Creek when we told them about the corkage - also shown in the menu. Every second bill with corkage resulted in discussions and nagging for discounts.
More breaking news came steadily from the (mainly ladies) rest rooms. A mother misused one of the sinks for a toilet bowl, washed the child's backside and did not even rinse; sanitary napkins in the ladies loo happened more than once, entire toilet rolls disappeared and once even the soap dispenser was forcefully semi detached. We had cloth towels to dry hands afterwards; within the first 18 months some 350 towels "disappeared" in God-only-knows-where and some were stolen by putting them into handbags without stuffing the towel in properly. We switched, against our standards, to paper towels instead which created a mess in the sink, toilet bowl or on the floor. Shoe prints on the ladies toilet ring were a monthly classic. The gents, preferring the toilet over the fully automatic urinals, were regularly out of focus and quite honestly, many gentlemen preferred leaving without washing hands! 
My wife and me did the housekeeping check every hour to the hour ourselves - the rest rooms are the name card of a restaurant. We could identify the "culprits" on the CCTV recordings and in 95% of the incidents it showed Asians. 
The staff was not too keen on their fellow compatriots for sometimes rude behaviour, trying to change each and every dish and leaving at the end, many times  without leaving a tip. Latter is commonplace, I know, but explains, why 40 years ago a petrol station would blow out your air filter, fill up your wiper water tank and clean the windows, which I always appreciated with a nice tip. As Thais did not tip - that service element of at least cleaning front window disappeared. 

Of course we would not "ban" Thai customers but given the choice, I could have easily done without that particular segment of the esteemed clientele. 

Now I understand why cleaning ladies basically live in the restroom.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes I was hanging out with a friend of mine who was obsessed with Bangla Road, and so I ended up going there twice with him, and yes I did not want to go the second time but I was being friendly to someone that I was hosting from another country so I went anyway. But it was just as dreadful the second time, and I do not think I would ever go back under any circumstances. 

Ok, understandable. Hope you are not put in the same sad position again.

• Thanks 1