Singaporean motorist lashes out at Thai police officer over fine

webfact

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agree 100%.....       IF authorities were serious about resolving the high road fatality rates, they'd be able to do so very quickly by dealing with the helmet issue.

Authorities were unwavering in their efficiency to get everyone to wear masks...  they could do the same with helmets - I'm inclined to believe they just don't care at all. 

They seem to think it hurts poor people. How about a merit system. First fine 300 baht, 2nd 600 baht, 3rd loss of licence and 1000 baht.

I would too agree to get a fine if everybody in Thailand was wearing a helmet, and had a driverslicense... Not because you are not Thai you get fined but we leave the Thai to do as they want...Start to solve the problems with your own people first before sticking to the laws with only foreigners as victims

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, freeworld said:

There is swollen welt behind the ear.

How the heck did he hit him there, with no other signs of violence?

Hardly anyone wears a helmet on Koh Chang, fools the roads here are sooo dangerous. saw 5 up on a M/C yesterday. Yesterday on the Bang Bo road woman on phone with kid in front, that road has to be the most steep bendy road in Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
4 hours ago, webfact said:

Singaporean man attacked a Thai police officer

Another foreigner trying to make the headlines. 

Yeah, but this one isn't as much fun as its harder to cry 'anti-farang' campaign when the guy in trouble is Singaporean !!!.. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps you are correct...    When I was there for SandBox (two weeks riding around), I was not stopped, but there were no check-points out. When I was in Patong 6 months ago (I wasn't riding, but I didn't notice any police stops at all).

And you are also correct, I do get a lot of my info on this from social media, and sites such as this, which perhaps also creates bias on my part.

So, maybe this thread is just feeding my confirmation bias, but I seem to see more reports of foreigners getting stopped and fined at checkpoints in area's such as Patong, than I do in Bangkok for example.... 

Perhaps thats because there are more tourist riding illegally in Patong whereas in Bkk most foreigners are long termers and get a license and the police see this pattern already. 

From personal experience of Phuket - there is nearly always a couple of Police Stops pulling over tourists in Patong.

Thus: Stevenl - where are you riding your bike around Phuket ?

Laguna / Bang Tao and north from there - BiB seem not interested... 

Rawai / Phuket town etc - BiB seem not interested...

Kata / Karen / Patong / Kamala - this is where I've noticed more police checkpoints over the years (of visiting Phuket a lot)... I always suspected these area's have more check points because there is more money to be made from tourists.

Kata-rawai daily. Pass a checkpoint many times, hardly ever get stopped.

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From personal experience of Phuket - there is nearly always a couple of Police Stops pulling over tourists in Patong.

Thus: Stevenl - where are you riding your bike around Phuket ?

Laguna / Bang Tao and north from there - BiB seem not interested... 

Rawai / Phuket town etc - BiB seem not interested...

Kata / Karen / Patong / Kamala - this is where I've noticed more police checkpoints over the years (of visiting Phuket a lot)... I always suspected these area's have more check points because there is more money to be made from tourists.

Kata-rawai daily. Pass a checkpoint many times, hardly ever get stopped.

Fair enough....  kind of matches my understanding (which as you pointed out before is based more on 3rd party information and media and a but of limited exposure myself). 

I wonder if a Kata to Patong daily trip would yield a different experience, especially Karon to Patong.....     I'd argue that it would, but obviously lack the first hand information to support that bias. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course we 'jump to conclusions'...  most of us do, thats the whole concept of a discussion forum, discuss issues without the limitations of being in a court room....   

You have jumped to conclusions too...  (thats fine too, until you become a hypocrite and object to others for drawing their own conclusions and discussing such).

- You have made your own conclusion that the actions of this man have nothing to with any previous exposure this man may have had the BiB in Thailand (or that seems to be your implication)

- You have also made your own conclusion that this incident is completely separate from any reputation the BiB have (or that seems to be your implication)

Perhaps you'd be better of reading the news where there is no option for further discussion, because you clearly lack the critical thought to offer intelligent contribution.

You make some of the most moronic statements without any supporting facts. You are jumping to conclusions without facts and when called out on it try to deflect it on to me. I've made zero conclusions, speculations or assumptions.   if you learn how to read you would know that but comprehension seems to escape you. My statement was clear and direct. This article is about 1 guy and his reaction, nothing more.  Very uncomplicated.

But you, using your pea size brain needs to find a justification that caused his action so you so you start speculating.   Speculate about this...... stay on topic and don't reply to me as I have nothing more to say to you. 

You want to start a Thai bashing thread or ridicule the inequality of punishment between thais and foreigners have at, start your own thread then you can ramble away and blame everyone you want to. I promise I won't comment on that one but I'm sure you'll be in forum heaven with like kind from here. 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dan O said:

You make some of the most moronic statements without any supporting facts. You are jumping to conclusions without facts and when called out on it try to deflect it on to me. I've made zero conclusions, speculations or assumptions.   if you learn how to read you would know that but comprehension seems to escape you. My statement was clear and direct. This article is about 1 guy and his reaction, nothing more.  Very uncomplicated.

But you, using your pea size brain needs to find a justification that caused his action so you so you start speculating.   Speculate about this...... stay on topic and don't reply to me as I have nothing more to say to you.

Your statement was a dumbed down over simplification of the issue which fails to comprehend or account for the influence of external factors...  i.e. in this case the reputation of Thai police for being corrupt and targeting foreigners and how that may have influenced the reaction of the Singaporean. 

One point I do agree with you on, your statement was uncomplicated - dumbed down over simplifications of a broken intellect very often are. 

14 minutes ago, Dan O said:

don't reply to me as I have nothing more to say to you.

Whats that ?... some sort of juvenile attempt to shoe-horn in the last word as some sort of win like a 7 year old in the school playground ???  - a bit pathetic don't you think... 

... "Don't reply to me 'cos I don't like your answers"  - the stuff of Genius !!!  :giggle:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. so 100% agree that the Singaporean is in the wrong for riding without a licence and without a helmet and should pay the approriate fines. 

He should also be fined for attacking a police officer.

BUT... why did he react this way ?

Did he see numerous Thai's riding without a helmet and get annoyed because he was 'singled out'  ??

Did he see the duplicity with which the Police in Phuket target and fine foreigners compared to Thai's ??

Its long been established that in area's such as Phuket the Police know foreigners are stupid enough to make themselves easy pickings (low hanging fruit) for the BiB and foreigners can always pay their on the spot fines ?

Sure... Don't do anything illegal then, and I'd quite agree...

BUT... surely if the BiB are doing their job effectively, all the Thai's have bene fined so many times for not wearing a helmet that they'd all be wearing a helmet by now... right ??

I can see the Singaporean getting insulted at the unequal treatment he perceives as being unfair - he's still in the wrong though. 

If think if I lived in Phuket I'd get annoyed at the amount of Police checkpoints wasting my time with so many checks because they're looking to profit from foreigners. 

Probably running out of wonga/dosh.........😢

But, now, he will probably have to go home early..........😭

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Careful... you're not allowed to express an opinion in this thread...  :passifier:

I know exactly what you mean.......😉

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, hydraides said:

3k fine is alot and pushing it for one stop when so many thais are riding without a helmet, normally they combine fines and give you a 800thb- 1000 thb fine

They got greedy here it seems 

3k doesn't seem much for 2 offences. In NSW Australia for driving without licence the max penalty is $2200 AUD, or more than 50k baht.

1 minute ago, gearbox said:

3k doesn't seem much for 2 offences. In NSW Australia for driving without licence the max penalty is $2200 AUD, or more than 50k baht.

I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to pay the Aussie rate fines if you so wished... 

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. so 100% agree that the Singaporean is in the wrong for riding without a licence and without a helmet and should pay the approriate fines. 

Did he see numerous Thai's riding without a helmet and get annoyed because he was 'singled out'  ??

Did he see the duplicity with which the Police in Phuket target and fine foreigners compared to Thai's ??

Its long been established that in area's such as Phuket the Police know foreigners are stupid enough to make themselves easy pickings (low hanging fruit) for the BiB and foreigners can always pay their on the spot fines ?

BUT... surely if the BiB are doing their job effectively, all the Thai's have bene fined so many times for not wearing a helmet that they'd all be wearing a helmet by now... right ??

I can see the Singaporean getting insulted at the unequal treatment he perceives as being unfair - he's still in the wrong though. 

If think if I lived in Phuket I'd get annoyed at the amount of Police checkpoints wasting my time with so many checks because they're looking to profit from foreigners. 

All assumptions again, Ricky

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Yes, correct but don't forget Aussies have a higher salary, I am on a pension and my pension is higher than that for 1 month. 

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

"If think if I lived in Phuket I'd get annoyed at the amount of Police checkpoints wasting my time with so many checks because they're looking to profit from foreigners. "

I live here, am a foreigner and hardly ever get stopped. Maybe it makes sense to know a place before posting about it in stead of relying on social media for an opinion.

I get stopped often, love seeing the disappointment   on the cop's face when I pull our my thai licences.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

GET OVER IT... being Thai in Thailand has it's perks... right or wrong... do you feel slighted 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

and then you would complain thai police arent doing their jobs.

good one smith

• Haha 1

I thought checkpoints were outlawed by Thailand last year? I seem to recall reading about it in the news.

perhaps it was because the amount of the fine infuriated him...the article states 'the amount of he fine was not revealed'.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you telling us a Thai police can tell the difference between a Thai Chinese and a Singapore Chinese riding a bike?

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Lim flung the money at Police Corporal Siriphet Katemun, who was issuing the fine. Following this, the police requested Lim to leave the police station, further fuelling his anger. In a fit of rage, Lim proceeded to strike Siriphet on the head before other officers intervened to restrain him.

Idiot