Singaporean motorist lashes out at Thai police officer over fine

webfact

The guy wrong on all accounts, but the foreigners are singled out here in Chiang Mai also when tourist season is busy. They always set them up in same few places.

The problem is no police enforcement of rules at point of hire. 

No body should be able to rent a motorcycle if they haven't the correct license needed.  A photocopy of the License should be on reverse side of the rental agreement  which states conditions of helmet requirement in various languages on one page.

After that if a stupid tourist want brain injury and fine, problem belong them.

I ride a motorbike here and have been pulled up in town with helmet on few times at tea money stops. 

Been asked to show my  license, I Showed my Australia license  to see what happens, big smile we want 1000bht, I say sorry I show you wrong one and pull out one  Thai license that kills a smile.😀

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. so 100% agree that the Singaporean is in the wrong for riding without a licence and without a helmet and should pay the approriate fines. 

He should also be fined for attacking a police officer.

BUT... why did he react this way ?

Did he see numerous Thai's riding without a helmet and get annoyed because he was 'singled out'  ??

Did he see the duplicity with which the Police in Phuket target and fine foreigners compared to Thai's ??

Its long been established that in area's such as Phuket the Police know foreigners are stupid enough to make themselves easy pickings (low hanging fruit) for the BiB and foreigners can always pay their on the spot fines ?

Sure... Don't do anything illegal then, and I'd quite agree...

BUT... surely if the BiB are doing their job effectively, all the Thai's have bene fined so many times for not wearing a helmet that they'd all be wearing a helmet by now... right ??

I can see the Singaporean getting insulted at the unequal treatment he perceives as being unfair - he's still in the wrong though. 

If think if I lived in Phuket I'd get annoyed at the amount of Police checkpoints wasting my time with so many checks because they're looking to profit from foreigners. 

That's the way things are in Thailand. If foreigners don't like it better to find somewhere else to live or visit.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, tandor said:

perhaps it was because the amount of the fine infuriated him...the article states 'the amount of he fine was not revealed'.

The bloke would probably complain if it was 10 bht, after all, he is a hi-so visitor.......😉

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, HonkieH said:

Are you telling us a Thai police can tell the difference between a Thai Chinese and a Singapore Chinese riding a bike?

Nearly…  with a user name like Honkie, surely you know that already !!!!! 

IF targeting non Thai’s the BiB only need to differentiate Tourists from Thai’s & that’s something most of us can already do - particularly those riding motorcycles / scooters…

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

That's the way things are in Thailand. If foreigners don't like it better to find somewhere else to live or visit.

The new slogan for TAT ???

….”if you don’t like it find somewhere else to holiday”….😳

• Confused 2

oh dear  '   the Singaporean got angry at the Thai cop ...  he'll go back to Singapore bad mouthing Thailand for sure.

he was in the wrong,  and by getting angry he's only made it 10x worse with a 20k fine for sure.... 

silly boy    !

31 minutes ago, zhounan said:

I don't blame the Singaporean guy. He come from a modern huge prison city. The stress of living in that reality should be high.

I don't think so ....... he comes from a clean, well structured civilized polite society with an educated culture,  not a hillbilly hick backward place where scams and cheats are the norm.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/14/2024 at 5:09 PM, mfd101 said:

Well, coming from Singapore he thought he could relax for the first time in his life, let down his (short short) hair, bend the rules, laugh a lot and vote for the Communist Party ...

Maybe even chew some gum. 

• Haha 1