43 days in Thailand

50 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Wrong way around, it is an immigration requirement to have proof of onward travel when arriving on a Visa Exempt, however they will usually only check if they're looking for a reason to deny you entry. 

Can you provide an Immigration link, confirming that as fact?

57 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I don't believe an Airline would be fined if you were denied entry but had onward travel arrangements as if this were the case then they would also be checking that you had the equivalent of 20,000 Baht in cash (probably the most often used excuse for denying people entry) & were not barred from entry into Thailand (Not even sure they could check this). 

Interesting article from the IATA.  https://www.iata.org/en/publications/newsletters/iata-knowledge-hub/understanding-inads-inadmissible-passengers-and-their-impact-on-travel/

Countries Prone to INADs

While the severity varies, the United States, Mexico, Germany, and the United Kingdom are commonly cited by airlines as countries where INADs are most prevalent. Although INADs represent less than 1% of transported passengers, they have a substantial financial impact on airlines. Penalties imposed by most countries range from $1,000 to $2,500 per case, with some nations imposing even stricter fines, amounting to $10,000 per violation. While the extent of these fines varies among airlines based on their passenger volume and destinations, some major carriers face fines of up to $2 million annually.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Can you provide an Immigration link, confirming that as fact?

1st Link I came across when googling for a link...  

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/thai-visa-exemption-and-bilateral-agreement

Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and Bilateral Agreement

Provisions of the tourist visa exemption scheme and bilateral agreement, effective December 31, 2016, allowing passport holders from 64 countries to enter Thailand under this rule, provided they meet the following criteria:

1. Be from an approved country.
  2. Be visiting Thailand strictly for tourism.
  3. Hold a genuine passport with a valid expiry of over 6 months.
  4. Can provide a valid address in Thailand on entry that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
  5. Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.**
  6. Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers, or 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

1st Link I came across when googling for a link...  

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/thai-visa-exemption-and-bilateral-agreement

Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme and Bilateral Agreement

Provisions of the tourist visa exemption scheme and bilateral agreement, effective December 31, 2016, allowing passport holders from 64 countries to enter Thailand under this rule, provided they meet the following criteria:

1. Be from an approved country.
  2. Be visiting Thailand strictly for tourism.
  3. Hold a genuine passport with a valid expiry of over 6 months.
  4. Can provide a valid address in Thailand on entry that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
  5. Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.**
  6. Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers, or 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.

That's just an agent site who was smart enough to call themselves thaiembassy so that people like you believe everything they say is true 😆 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

While the severity varies, the United States, Mexico, Germany, and the United Kingdom are commonly cited by airlines as countries where INADs are most prevalent. Although INADs represent less than 1% of transported passengers, they have a substantial financial impact on airlines. Penalties imposed by most countries range from $1,000 to $2,500 per case, with some nations imposing even stricter fines, amounting to $10,000 per violation. While the extent of these fines varies among airlines based on their passenger volume and destinations, some major carriers face fines of up to $2 million annually.

As I posted, it doesn't make sense to me that the airlines would get fined in all cases of somebody being denied entry as people are far more likely to get denied entry for not having sufficient cash on them & they don't check for that, could be insufficient cash falls into reason 3 "Other Reasons" and they don't get fined whereas no onward travel falls into reason 1 "Improper Documentation".... Honestly don't know, just me guessing/assuming. 

14 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

That's just an agent site who was smart enough to call themselves thaiembassy so that people like you believe everything they say is true 😆 

Come on, it's common knowledge that the rules of entry on Visa Exempt include having proof of onward travel & 20K in cash & that was the 1st link I found, didn't think I'd need to cite an official site but here goes...

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84256-tourist-visa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

• Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveler’s cheque or cash equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family.
  • Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (**otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

Interestingly the official site suggest Train, Bus & Boat tickets are valid as are Travelers Checks, wouldn't want risk using either myself. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Come on, it's common knowledge that the rules of entry on Visa Exempt include having proof of onward travel & 20K in cash & that was the 1st link I found, didn't think I'd need to cite an official site but here goes...

I'm not convinced it's a Thai Immigration requirement to have onward travel, though.
In all the years I've come to Thailand previously, it's the airline that have checked the travel itinerary.

I've only ever handed my Passport to Immigration on entry and never been requested anything else.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84256-tourist-visa?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

• Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveler’s cheque or cash equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family.
  • Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date

I really do wonder who is actually responsible for posting and checking information on Thai Embassy websites.

Proof of adequate finances, yes, but rarely ever requested.

Onward travel by air, train, bus or boat, brings me back to my original question if refused entry, how would you be able to travel onward anywhere other than from the airport of arrival.

Edited by Liquorice

This thread has gone well off track from OP question.

If he is flying from Oz Jetstar the airline most likely require onward flight.

As far as thai immigration they would (hardly ever) ask about onward flight or even funds.

The denied entry would be down to other concerns, most common being ongoing stay in Thailand. 

The onward flight is basically irrelevant once landing in Thailand. 

Doesn't matter if it's a real ticket X same airport or elsewhere or a rent a ticket.

It is useless. 

The "change flight" option will be more than new ticket.

You almost certainly will be flown back to point of departure.  

So OP, you have not indicated extensive ongoing stay in Thailand imo you can attend check in and if there is an issue step away and book cheap flight out within 30. eg bkk to Saigon. 

I'm flying to Oz tomorrow (jetstar) and will again have a chat re this question however already know the reply.