43 days in Thailand

I am an Australian citizen and resident, and I intend to spend six weeks in Thailand later in the year. My current plan is, enter on a 30-day visa-exempt, and get an extension while in Thailand.

My question is: Can I enter with my flight out being in six weeks? Or do I need to have an departure flight within the 30 days of the visa-exempt?

OP, you possibly will use Jetstar.

They will want on onward ticket within 30 days.

You can book a throwaway ticket OR

Use "onwardticket.com " OR

obtain a tourist  e-Visa (available Mach 19 onwards.

Tourist visa good option. Avoids obtraining any extension

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, you possibly will use Jetstar.

They will want on onward ticket within 30 days.

You can book a throwaway ticket OR

Use "onwardticket.com " OR

obtain a tourist  e-Visa (available Mach 19 onwards.

Tourist visa good option. Avoids obtraining any extension

What makes you think he will use Jet-Star?

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ask the OP.

He can fly direct from airports eg Melbourne. Jetstar cheapest option.

If Brisbane previously AirAsia was an option.

In any event he will need onward flight, especially with low cost airlines. 

Just give your advice to OP if you have any. 

He never mentioned what city in Australia he will fly from. I am in Perth and the only airline flying direct to Thailand is Thai airways if you don't want to stop in Singapore or KL Jet star stops in Singapore yes, it is a bit cheaper, but you have to pay extra for your luggage and meals. I just booked Perth to BKK with Thai non-stop return for just over 750 AUD. I am not sure about the visa since I moved back to OZ.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, still kicking said:

He never mentioned what city in Australia he will fly from. I am in Perth and the only airline flying direct to Thailand is Thai airways if you don't want to stop in Singapore or KL Jet star stops in Singapore yes, it is a bit cheaper, but you have to pay extra for your luggage and meals. I just booked Perth to BKK with Thai non-stop return for just over 750 AUD. I am not sure about the visa since I moved back to OZ.

Sorry, I'm missing your point.

The OP is planning to enter Thailand Visa Exempt.

Asking about onward flight for airline.

Back to your situation. You have not indicated if you plan to fly visa exempt.

Thai airlines may be more flexible than some low cost carriers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, sherwood said:

Scoot never asked for an onward ticket, Perth Sing Bkk.

Luck of the draw, extension is very easy to do here.

Is he flying out of Perth? With Scoot? 

Came in on a 60-day E-Visa last year and 90 day ticket.  I didn't even wait for them to ask me in Canada or at the Immigration counter in Bangkok and with my ticket, presented the extension paperwork I would take to Pattaya / Jomtien Immigration before the 60-day ran out.   I had printed off the on-line form with all my information filled out to show them I knew the process and was even told in Canada, with a smile, that this wasn't my first time doing this......and they were correct!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mushroomdave said:

Came in on a 60-day E-Visa last year and 90 day ticket.  I didn't even wait for them to ask me in Canada or at the Immigration counter in Bangkok and with my ticket, presented the extension paperwork I would take to Pattaya / Jomtien Immigration before the 60-day ran out.   I had printed off the on-line form with all my information filled out to show them I knew the process and was even told in Canada, with a smile, that this wasn't my first time doing this......and they were correct!

You got lucky because if you get denied entry for any reason then the airline foots the bill on your return. You may find this method not working in the future as having prefilled paperwork is no guarantee it will be accepted nor do airlines know the regs on extensions, but do know what happens if denied.  

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The guy you quoted had a visa.

Airlines only ask for onward flight if you plan to enter Thailand visa exempt.

The OP is planning to fly visa exempt. 

Most likely the airline will require onward flight within 30 days

Airlines don't generally ask for your visa when you check in but more likely your onward ticket if you are flying 1 way.  You can then show them your visa which usually is enough but they can still ask for a ticket. A visa isn't a guarantee of admittance its a right to travel. You can still be denied entry even with a visa. I've been been asked for an onward flight ticket while holding a visa in the USA at the Airport more than once. Its a big world out there and you don't see all that happens in it

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Airlines don't generally ask for your visa when you check in but more likely your onward ticket if you are flying 1 way.

Stick to the topic of the thread.

Flying visa exempt to Thailand the airline most likely will require onward flight within 30 days

If you have a visa or reentry permit best to assist check in staff by pointing that out.

The staff in turn will not ask to see onward flight. 

I fly to Saigon every other month. The very first thing airline requires is proof of visa as Oz need a  visa to enter Vietnam. 

For return the airline staff ask for onward flight.

I quickly point to my reentry permit.

Onward flight not required.

When Thai gf goes to Japan (15 days visa exempt for thai) the airline counts out the days from departure to return date. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Stick to the topic of the thread.

Flying visa exempt to Thailand the airline most likely will require onward flight within 30 days

If you have a visa or reentry permit best to assist check in staff by pointing that out.

The staff in turn will not ask to see onward flight. 

I fly to Saigon every other month. The very first thing airline requires is proof of visa as Oz need a  visa to enter Vietnam. 

For return the airline staff ask for onward flight.

I quickly point to my reentry permit.

Onward flight not required.

When Thai gf goes to Japan (15 days visa exempt for thai) the airline counts out the days from departure to return date. 

I am on the topic and responded to your post reply and another poster and said the same as you did.

The check-in staff of airlines that are members of IATA generally use the IATA Travel Centre to look up the  requirements, using an automated process. It is free to use for everyone.

It is up to the check-in staff, probably based on instructions and guidelines issued by the airlines, how strictly to apply these requirements. This is why the traveller in front of me in the queue without a visa may be asked for an onward ticket and I, in the same situation, may not be a asked for it.

P.S. I did not select red for the last paragraph; it just happened. In fact, on the phone I wouldn't be able to change the colour even if I wanted to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have done it a few times in the last 2 years. First time I had a 60day visa, with a return ticket in the third month. Extension made 14 days before visa expired, no questions about return ticket. A few months later flew in on Visa Exemption, obtained extension problem free.

The Airlines can see you have a return ticket when you check in, and are aware of the immigration rules.
I flew from Perth-Singapore-BKK and return each time with Singapore Airlines.

23 hours ago, novanova said:

I am an Australian citizen and resident, and I intend to spend six weeks in Thailand later in the year. My current plan is, enter on a 30-day visa-exempt, and get an extension while in Thailand.

My question is: Can I enter with my flight out being in six weeks? Or do I need to have an departure flight within the 30 days of the visa-exempt?

It's better to get an e-visa from home, a single entry Tourist Visa gives you 60 days of stay upon entry.

When entering on visa exempt you'll need a return ticket or onward ticket within 30 days from arrival date; extension of stay in Thailand will cost you 1,900 baht, to be compared with an e-visa cost.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, khunPer said:

When entering on visa exempt you'll need a return ticket or onward ticket within 30 days from arrival date;

What's acceptable as an onward ticket. By bus, train, flight, from where, to where?

5 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

What's acceptable as an onward ticket. By bus, train, flight, from where, to where?

Must be flight.

From Thai Airport to anywhere. 

Bus/train won't cut it. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Must be flight.

From Thai Airport to anywhere. 

Thinking outside the box here, Jack - from which Thai airport?

Edited by Liquorice

33 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It's better to get an e-visa from home, a single entry Tourist Visa gives you 60 days of stay upon entry.

Anything to avoid dealing with immigration is a good plan.

Also avoids obtaining a TM30

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

The check-in staff of airlines that are members of IATA generally use the IATA Travel Centre to look up the  requirements, using an automated process. It is free to use for everyone.

It is up to the check-in staff, probably based on instructions and guidelines issued by the airlines, how strictly to apply these requirements. This is why the traveller in front of me in the queue without a visa may be asked for an onward ticket and I, in the same situation, may not be a asked for it.

P.S. I did not select red for the last paragraph; it just happened. In fact, on the phone I wouldn't be able to change the colour even if I wanted to.

Your correct about the IATA. The guidelines are actually issued by the countries the airlines flies to. If as you mentioned the airline is a member and uses the IATA system the prompts show up on their screen. They don't know if you have a visa or not but base it the instructions from the destination country.  So it it says must have a visa they ask for it. If it says must have exit flight within a certain time limit they ask, or should. If you have a round trip ticket with the same airline that shows up as well and heads off some questions automatically.  If an airline disregards the regs from that country and your denied entry they pay for your return. A VISA does not guarantee entry and you can be denied at arrival if you have issues in the database or for other reasons. 

Just apply for a SETV since you want 43 days. Why stuff around wasting a day or possibly 2 days doing extensions at immigration plus wasting immigration's time and other holiday makers time who need to get extensions? Do the correct thing and get a SETV. Saves everyone time and hassles.

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Buy a cheap budget flight ticket that you can afford to throw away; for example the short distance from Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur, it's very cheap on certain week days. Another possibility might be "Onward Ticket", which is a reservation system for next to nothing in cost, but I have not reference if it's accepted; perhaps some other forum members have experience.

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

Buy a cheap budget flight ticket that you can afford to throw away; for example the short distance from Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur, it's very cheap on certain week days. Another possibility might be "Onward Ticket", which is a reservation system for next to nothing in cost, but I have not reference if it's accepted; perhaps some other forum members have experience.

So if I was flying from the UK to Suvarnabhumi in Thailand, a cheap throw away flight from Hat Yai to KL within 30 days would fit the criteria?

14 hours ago, Liquorice said:

So if I was flying from the UK to Suvarnabhumi in Thailand, a cheap throw away flight from Hat Yai to KL within 30 days would fit the criteria?

To my knowledge: Yes.

On 3/16/2024 at 4:49 PM, Liquorice said:

Thinking outside the box here, Jack - from which Thai airport?

How are you thinking outside the box?

Any international airport in Thailand should be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1