PEA Pole Spacing

Does anybody here know whether there are any regulations governing the spacing of PEA electricity poles in a domestic situation? It seems sensible to me that there would be but ........ 

A long-vacant plot opposite us is finally being built upon 🙂. The new owners want to move an existing pole because it's 'unlucky' in the current position. At present, there's about 15m between poles. In the position proposed, there'll be about 5m and 23m between poles. In addition, it'll cause problems getting an electricity supply to our house since there'll then be another building in the way, between the pole and our house.

I'm sure this will be resolved in an amicable way but I want to gather facts so I can be prepared. Thanks.

Much depends upon who actually owns the poles.

If it's actually a PEA pole then PEA must move it and they would obviously know their own regulations.

If it's not a PEA pole then anything goes, there are likely actual regulations but of course TiT.

The poles bringing power to our place which were installed by PEA although not actually PEA poles are 18m apart. The final span to the house is 20m.

Due to a similar situation to where you may end up (building in the way) we needed an extra pole which of course we paid for :sad:

If it's going to interfere with your current or a future supply to your place, I'd be getting PEA involved ASAP.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Crossy. They're either PEA or tessaban poles, PEA installed/renewed last July, and it's PEA who've been asked to perform the move.

As in your case, an extra pole would work but it seems a real hassle just because someone feels 'unlucky',

15 minutes ago, MartinL said:

As in your case, an extra pole would work but it seems a real hassle just because someone feels 'unlucky',

Indeed. 

I would take the pragmatic approach.

If you block the move then absolutely anything that goes wrong with their build will automatically be your fault. You really don't want to get on the wrong side of your new neighbours so soon. Of course, if PEA say "cannot" you are off the hook.

Do you have an existing power supply to your plot? If not now might be a good time to talk to PEA to organise.

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you block the move then absolutely anything that goes wrong with their build will automatically be your fault ... if PEA say "cannot" you are off the hook.

Exactly the thought going through my mind too.

• Like 1

For us, PEA's spacing, installed by PEA, is 20m apart ... BUT, they when with 22m, to avoid 1 more pole, as we're 155m from main road, and they installed 7 pole, main rd - corner of lot.   The rest we ran underground to house, less than 20m of wire.

• 2 weeks later...