This is Thailand

Lacessit

In preparation for a return to Australia, I went looking in the main drag of Chiang Rai for a money exchanger.

I like to have cash as well as a debit card, belt and braces.

The first shop I came to, the employee/proprietor was just locking up, presumably for lunch.

What time do you come back? 1 pm ( at 11.30 am ). Do you have Australian dollars? Mai mee.

This despite a big sign in the window,  listing AUD, among other currencies.

I then drove my scooter no more than 50 metres to another exchanger who happily gave me $450 for my Thai baht.

How the hell do some of these guys make a living?

• Confused 15
  • Sad 8
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're saying that he's a "cheap goose" just because he didn't have any AUD at the time the OP wanted it?   Maybe he was overflowing with other real currencies that there was more of a call for?

Have you been to Chiang Rai? Have to be 1/3 Aussies there. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're saying that he's a "cheap goose" just because he didn't have any AUD at the time the OP wanted it?   Maybe he was overflowing with other real currencies that there was more of a call for?

Have you been to Chiang Rai? Have to be 1/3 Aussies there.

So the vast majority are not Australian and wouldn't be wanting AUD! Q.E.D.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So the vast majority are not Australian and wouldn't be wanting AUD! Q.E.D.

Say there is 20,000 tourists, 1/3 is 6,666. So the demand is there.

9 minutes ago, Goat said:

Yeah mate, I know how you feel. I went to an Aussie bank in outback Australia and asked them the rate for Thai baht.

They told me the rate but didnt have any

I dont know how they make money. idiots

Out back Australia? Do you mean Redfern Sydney?

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Only idiots would get Thai Baht in their home Country

That is probably why they wouldnt give me any.

They must of heard about how clever i was.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is not about GBP, it is about you wanting AUD and his not having them.  I think that its unreasonable of you to assume that he has to have a stock of cash for every currency that he shows an exchange rate for.  Perhaps his last customer took the last of the AUD and you were just too late.  

"...how would anyone make a living if they had nothing to exchange?"

He told you that he had no currencies, at all?  Really?

You're making the ridiculous assumption that, just because he didn't have Aussie pesos, he didn't have any other currencies to trade!  

Have you heard of competition? His 50 metres up the road had ample AUD. He was  obviously too lazy to bother with snagging an extra customer by staying open an extra few minutes, for all I know the "mai mee" was a lie to get rid of me.

IIRC you are the poster that said sugar in petrol is an urban myth, and dug yourself in deeper when I disproved that statement with solubility data. Did you bring a shovel with you this time?

Edited by Lacessit
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

That is true , but there are less Aussies in CM than non whinging Poms , as most Poms dont whine

Perhaps it is only when they go to Australia that they start whinging. It's probably too harsh for their delicate constitutions.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Coming from someone as screwed up mentally as you have exhibited on multiple threads, perhaps you should save the empathy for yourself.

Absolute right, he keeps calling me an 80-year-old who lives in a state housing commission flat my fridge in my kitchen has a greater IQ than he has. He is mentally retarded 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Back to topic, why don't you exchange it in BKK (if you fly out of BKK) Super Rich will give you a good exchange rate. Superrich Thailand : Exchange Rates|Currency Converter | Super Rich Thailand

I suppose I could do that, more convenient to hop on the scooter here. The exchange rate was 23.6 baht to one AUD, which I thought was OK. OTOH, buying baht with AUD, it was 22.1.