This is Thailand

Lacessit

On 3/18/2024 at 3:39 PM, Lacessit said:

Would you think it reasonable if you went to the same shop, with the GBP listed, and he told you he didn't have any?

It's a money EXCHANGE shop, how would anyone make a living if they had nothing to exchange?

Most money changers in Thailand exist solely to convert other currencies into Thai baht and are only capable of the reverse if they happen to have the funds on hand.

It is not rocket science, It is just plain silly to think any (especially independent) money changer will have anything other than EU or USD around, if even that. I can imagine seeking out any real amount of CAD, NZD, for any other currency without calling ahead. 

but then I wouldn't dream of changing most currencies except their native country. I'm more likely to travel with USD for contingencies and change that locally if unable to withdraw local cash directly.

Edited by n00dle

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It sounds like Australia is more suitable for you.

It might be if i was a multi-millionaire.

I suggest you read the findings of the Royal Commission into Aged Care in Australia, then you might understand better why I prefer Thailand.

3 hours ago, n00dle said:

Most money changers in Thailand exist solely to convert other currencies into Thai baht and are only capable of the reverse if they happen to have the funds on hand.

It is not rocket science, It is just plain silly to think any (especially independent) money changer will have anything other than EU or USD around, if even that. I can imagine seeking out any real amount of CAD, NZD, for any other currency without calling ahead. 

but then I wouldn't dream of changing most currencies except their native country. I'm more likely to travel with USD for contingencies and change that locally if unable to withdraw local cash directly.

To me, it's just plain silly that posters think it is OK to not stock a currency, while advertising the availability of said currency on a large sign in the shop window.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

It might be if i was a multi-millionaire.

I suggest you read the findings of the Royal Commission into Aged Care in Australia, then you might understand better why I prefer Thailand.

IMHO Thailand is just fine.

And I feel comfortable here. One reason for that is that I don't think too much about what Thais do or don't do or why they do it.

They do it jus the way they do it, it's best not to think about why. And that helps to stay relaxed. 

7 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Au contraire mon ami.

Being British always qualifies us as being top of the losers chart.We play every sport but are not so good at most of them.We are however the worlds best and honest losers who would never dream of cheating. Unlike some ball-tampering (sandpaper) nations.

The English players admitted cheating.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

To me, it's just plain silly that posters think it is OK to not stock a currency, while advertising the availability of said currency on a large sign in the shop window.

Maybe he did but wanted lunch more or didnt like you.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IMHO Thailand is just fine.

And I feel comfortable here. One reason for that is that I don't think too much about what Thais do or don't do or why they do it.

They do it jus the way they do it, it's best not to think about why. And that helps to stay relaxed. 

I am more comfortable here too. I guess my analytical mindset can't help being bewildered by strange behaviours.

On 3/19/2024 at 12:12 PM, AustinRacing said:

Some even can’t detach one eye from social media stuff they’re looking at while trying to serve you.

Thats an outright lie, shame on you.............its  ALL  of  them!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:11 PM, still kicking said:

Nonsense there is more Aussies in Chiang Mai than whinging POMS.

Chiang Rai is not in Chiang Mai and actually is a very different place in many ways.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:08 AM, Lacessit said:

So he shows an AUD exchange rate and likely the vast majority of his biz is changing USD GBP and AUD to thai baht which is after all by far the most common transaction....take a chill pill if that bothers you so much in very laid back chiang rai....did you expect an apology because he did not run his business to suit you?  Exactly how many AUD should he sit on and for how long hoping somebody would ask to change baht to AUD?  Might be waiting a long long time as i suspect most people would do that at the airport exchange places where it is no doubt much more common.

9 minutes ago, pomchop said:

So he shows an AUD exchange rate and likely the vast majority of his biz is changing USD GBP and AUD to thai baht which is after all by far the most common transaction....take a chill pill if that bothers you so much in very laid back chiang rai....did you expect an apology because he did not run his business to suit you?  Exactly how many AUD should he sit on and for how long hoping somebody would ask to change baht to AUD?  Might be waiting a long long time as i suspect most people would do that at the airport exchange places where it is no doubt much more common.

Please explain how a shop 50 meters further down the street had an amply supply of AUD, then.

Thanks for the advice. I'd follow it if I thought it was useful.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Please explain how a shop 50 meters further down the street had an amply supply of AUD, then.

The other guy is more successful and prepared.

Fairly minor issue.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't know and i wish you luck but consider if you might be happier to just accept it as it is and not worry about how, why, who etc.  You will not win an agrument trying to tell a thai person how to run his biz...that is some useful advice for you.

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

I don't know and i wish you luck but consider if you might be happier to just accept it as it is and not worry about how, why, who etc.  You will not win an agrument trying to tell a thai person how to run his biz...that is some useful advice for you.

Advice already taken, before I started the thread.

Show me where in my posts I say I attempted to argue with him.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why start the topic if it isnt important to you?

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why start the topic if it isnt important to you?

Perhaps it was a slow day. I wasn't aware my threads had to meet with your approval.

I could equally ask why you start BS topics.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Perhaps it was a slow day. I wasn't aware my threads had to meet with your approval.

I could equally ask why you start BS topics.

My topics are interesting.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Gumpy old man?  Take a deep breath and move on.

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

Gumpy old man?  Take a deep breath and move on.

I prefer to think of myself as someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly. Goodbye.

• Sad 1