Chanthaburi: Oil spill in the Gulf reaches Chanthaburi beach

spacer.png

At Chao Lao beach this afternoon, what a mess.

Streaks of oil lumps between low water and high water mark, oil blobs in the waves.

Very heavy oil, most blobs 10-30mm and up to 5mm thick; I got waist-deep thinking it was restricted to the shallows, wrong on that. Very sticky not easy to clean off swim shorts and skin. 

I'll stick to the pool next few days.

According to the Monsoon Garbage website the local authorities are arranging a cleanup. 

No idea on the origin, a ship dumping out in the Gulf maybe?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Sad 1

Chao Lao is a nice quiet beach. I was been living there a few years ago..Escaping from Chiang Mai’s smog. Pollution from earth, sea and air these days. 

Edited by Tarteso
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, NicoBKK said:

Sad to see, usually the consequence of illegal oil tankers washing / discharges far from the port where can do it without being disturbed 

I didn't get the translation but one comment on Facebook mentioned tarballs and oil dispersant, if that makes any sense? I'd describe the oil as very heavy, sticky and took quite a scrub to remove off my feet when I got home

Anyhow, understand a beach cleanup was to begin at 7am today.

Here's the beach last Friday, the only disturbance is all the little sand piles created by the small crabs, very artistic

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicoBKK said:

Sad to see, usually the consequence of illegal oil tankers washing / discharges far from the port where can do it without being disturbed 

I don't mean to start an argument, but an oil tanker does not want seawater in their tanks. It is much more likely that this is bilge oil and water, which any ship could have discharged into the GOT. It is very sad either way and I hope they find the culprit.

19 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I don't mean to start an argument, but an oil tanker does not want seawater in their tanks. It is much more likely that this is bilge oil and water, which any ship could have discharged into the GOT. It is very sad either way and I hope they find the culprit.

Not far away of course are the Map Da Put oil terminals in Rayong which have been known in the past to have leaked in to the sea.

• Thumbs Up 1