Thoughts on car? Chevrolet

Hi,

opportunity to buy a Chevrolet captiva from 2011 with 68km on it. It is cheap and currently we have been renting for nearly 2 years. With at least another year here, maybe 2 then I am thinking this might be worth it instead of renting.

a few years back someone said to me they wouldn’t touch Chevrolets….think it was the time they pulled out of Thailand.

thoughts? Like can you get parts to fix etc here? Thoughts on the car etc?

thanks, we are not car people. We use a car to drive to and from work with the kids everyday. Use it for trips to the beach and travel inside Thailand. Currently renting an mg zs.

6 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

Hi,

opportunity to buy a Chevrolet captiva from 2011 with 68km on it. It is cheap and currently we have been renting for nearly 2 years. With at least another year here, maybe 2 then I am thinking this might be worth it instead of renting.

a few years back someone said to me they wouldn’t touch Chevrolets….think it was the time they pulled out of Thailand.

thanks, we are not car people. We use a car to drive to and from work with the kids everyday. Use it for trips to the beach and travel inside Thailand. Currently renting an mg zs.

68km or 68,000km? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

250k - I’m looking at it tomorrow. Any advice? Currently been renting an mg zs for 18k month. For around a year and 7 months. Plan was to just rent rest

of this year and we have another year extension on our contract after

that we don’t know might leave might stay. This option is from a neighbour in our village who says is leaving in summer. We could have this money in 2 months so it’s relatively cheap.

13 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

Hi,

Authorized Chevrolet service is still available in Thailand.

https://www.chevrolet.co.th/shopping-tools/locate-dealer

40 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

thoughts? Like can you get parts to fix etc here?

I own a Chevrolet - although its not the same model.

I have had no problems whatsoever in getting parts for it.  When I got the car back from my ex wife I had to sort quite a few problems out due to the usual Thai abuse - some involving parts that I thought I'd have to wait for, including a gear lever.  Chevrolet's appointed stockists had everything in stock and will post them to you. Their prices seemed very reasonable too and they are very easy to find - being right at the side of the expressway.

https://www.gpautoparts.co.th/en/products-service-2/after-market-2/ac-delco-products-2/

G.P.Auto Parts Co.,Ltd.

2 Vibhavadi Rangsit 50 Alley

Lat Yao

Chatuchak

Bangkok

Thailand

+66 2 941 1222

There's a QR for their LINE ID on the Contact Us section of their website.  They have English speakers available on LINE.

I have found them very helpful - including sending a parts diagram for exact confirmation of the required part.

Bear in mind that most 'service items' and those that regularly need replacing such as alternators, starter motors etc. will also be available from local autoparts stores.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thanks 1

If you buy the car and its a diesel - its right on the change (2011) from series 1 to series 2.  Series 1 models use a cambelt which I'd bet my botton dollar hasn't been replaced.  Series 2 models have a camchain which on the 2.2 diesel should last for life.

If its a series 1, unless the previous owner has proof that the cambelt has been changed - at 13 years old an original cambelt is well past its sell by date. Change it immediately or risk catastrophic engine damage. Factor the cost of this into the price you pay.

The Captiva in general has some pretty bad write ups which had a knock on effect on other models - unjustifiably in many cases. Mind you, you can find bad write ups on most cars if you look.

Hopefully some members here will have experience of owning a Captiva.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who are the previous owners? If they are Asian, proceed with caution . If they don't have up-to-date service books, walk away.

Bear in mind winding back odometers is a national sport in Thailand.

The 4WD version is more complex to service than the FWD, another factor to consider.

It's a fairly agricultural vehicle. AFAIK the engines are rough but reliable. The electrical systems have been known to have issues.

Nooooo!   The Captiva ( affectionately known as a Craptiva in Australia) has a shocking reputation for issues. They are a cheap badge engineered vehicle that GM bought from Daewoo.  

I would not recommend buying one at any price...

watch this , then make up your mind..

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Saw it today - looked in good nick to be fair…..only issue was a problem with the sensor at the back but would be fixed.

owner said car no problems and she had gotten parts etc when needed.

had book and service info etc. any questions I could ask?

bought a 2019 Trailblazer and have had it 5 yrs now, not a bit of trouble.  Parts are easy to come by.  Think these were all built in country and quality seems to be as good as any. Agree look at the brake pedal for excessive wear on rubber pad.  If the pad has the ridges worn off the mileage was turned back.  Ours is 2.5 liter duramax diesel and gets really good mileage.  13 yrs old probably could use shocks and look if you can see front rotors of brakes, are they scoured or grooved?  Things you can point out and may get a discount on price.  250K baht for a car that old it better be in mint condition. But know others who own Chevy's and have never had and issue with many miles/klicks driven....

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 7:20 PM, Woof999 said:

My first thoughts are that 68k on a 13 year old car is INCREDIBLY low mileage. Does the wear on the pedals / general interior match that mileage?

Had my Triton 8 years and haven't hit 20K yet.

My neighbour swapped his 2010 Vios with 240k km,  for a 2011 Captiva with 110k km, which has turned out to be a lemon.
Things keep breaking on it, the seat adjuster, tailgate lock mechanism, door mirror adjuster etc. Ordering parts has been a nightmare for him.
10 weeks wait for an oil seal, something to do with a transmission rebuild following an oil leak. (It's still got a slight oil leak!)
Now it's in for starter motor problems after a breakdown, 3 weeks and counting. All the work is being done by an authorised Chevvy garage. I picked him up last time it was towed there and the adjacent field was full of older Chevvies (many Captivas) apparently waiting for parts. 
Just saying .......

1 hour ago, Madgee said:

My neighbour swapped his 2010 Vios with 240k km,  for a 2011 Captiva with 110k km, which has turned out to be a lemon.
Things keep breaking on it, the seat adjuster, tailgate lock mechanism, door mirror adjuster etc. Ordering parts has been a nightmare for him.
10 weeks wait for an oil seal, something to do with a transmission rebuild following an oil leak. (It's still got a slight oil leak!)
Now it's in for starter motor problems after a breakdown, 3 weeks and counting. All the work is being done by an authorised Chevvy garage. I picked him up last time it was towed there and the adjacent field was full of older Chevvies (many Captivas) apparently waiting for parts. 
Just saying .......

It's a Chevrolet. One of the worst American manufactures, ahead of Chrysler though. Don't waste your time. Buy a used Toyota instead. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2024 at 7:23 PM, Yodarapper said:

Sorry 68,000 km

I miss some Information:

- Diesel or Gasoline

- Guarantee of Km

- Is there a Service History to check the Km

- Blue Book

In my Opinion its a no go in Thailand, to buy a GM Brand, I have my expirience as field service employees. If you have the oppotunity to buy a Japanese Car! Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and Mazda play in a higher League! I have a Mitsu Pajero Diesel from 2011, a no Problem Car with real 160k Km. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2024 at 7:15 PM, Yodarapper said:

Hi,

Ford has a 10 year contract to support Chevrolets.  Parts are readily available, see https://www.gpautoparts.co.th/en/products-service-2/after-market-2/ac-delco-products-2/.  After reading other comments I have to add a little.  Toyota is the top selling brand with good record of their maintenance services.  Honda a close second.  In my time here I have purchased four 4 door Colorado pick ups.  Very happy with all of them.

Edited by dlclark97
Add comment

3 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

Ford has a 10 year contract to support Chevrolets.  Parts are readily available, see https://www.gpautoparts.co.th/en/products-service-2/after-market-2/ac-delco-products-2/.  After reading other comments I have to add a little.  Toyota is the top selling brand with good record of their maintenance services.  Honda a close second.  In my time here I have purchased four 4 door Colorado pick ups.  Very happy with all of them.

1. The link you provide relates to provision of SERVICE parts by ACDelco.  Obtaining service parts will not be a problem. The issue will be obtaining slow-moving non-service parts because there is almost no profit in them so no incentive to hold stock. This can be a challenge for vehicles that have an active dealer network, let alone one without any dealers....

2. The OP is specifically asking about the Captiva. This is a GM-Korea product and completely unrelated to the Trailblazer, Colorado, which are GM-USA originated, part of a joint venture with Isuzu, and a different prospect altogether.