No neutral at light switches in Isaan - Need a local sparks who understands

I have a house outside Bua Yai in Isaan and am trying to install smart wifi light switches.

I notice that they (the 'electricians' that wired the house) have only switched the live side at the switches and left the neutral in the roof at the lights. I do know that there is smart switches avaialbe that do not require a neutral (only a capacitor across the live and neutral at the lights) but I beleive there are issues with buzzing noises and R.F. interference. I also believe that these type of switches are unable to dim, dimmable LED lights.

My local guy is NOT an electrician and is having problems understanding what I need or why I would want it.

Does anyone know of an english speaking sparky in the Bua Yai / Korat / Chaiyaphum or Khon Kaen areas I can talk to and hopefully get to do some work. 

I've fettled the heading slightly for more directed responses.

Yeah, it's standard loop-in lighting wiring pretty much everywhere, if you need a neutral at the switch you need to specify it when wiring (we did and I've only actually used one of them).

Dimming LEDs is a whole subject of its own.

If you can't get neutrals to the switches, would you consider using smart lamps?

Show him what you want to put behind the switch, i.e. a Shelly.

Then he will see the connectors for L and N.

I did not verify the diagram below, I just linked the first which I found.

613PW2KBEXL.jpg

Shelly-1-Wired-to-a-power-outlet-1.2.jpe

• Confused 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:17 AM, wozzlegummich said:

Does anyone know of an english speaking sparky in the Bua Yai / Korat / Chaiyaphum or Khon Kaen areas I can talk to and hopefully get to do some work. 

If you read your PMs you will find a reply

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 6:17 AM, wozzlegummich said:

I notice that they (the 'electricians' that wired the house) have only switched the live side at the switches and left the neutral in the roof at the lights. I do know that there is smart switches avaialbe that do not require a neutral (only a capacitor across the live and neutral at the lights) but I beleive there are issues with buzzing noises and R.F. interference. I also believe that these type of switches are unable to dim, dimmable LED lights.

Have most of my house with WiFi switches and no neutral, just capacitor across LED in ceiling. No buzzes, no problems.

Don't know about dimming as I have none.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.nRG63

Edited by BritManToo