What devices are best for constant dog attacks?

Every time I walk to my local super market I get attacked by dogs. What devices are recommended to get these walking flea bags to back off. The problem is the tour buses are parked there and the drivers give the dogs their left overs. If this were to cease the dogs would move on.

One of the neighbors used his bike , to fend himself from the soi inhabitants.

It worked! He got off his bike and shoved the bike forward several times before he threw it at them , afterwards 

they ran off.

image.png.5cbf951ee9ac15002ae0bc61b37f6a63.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

A tempoarary measure is a big stick. A permanent measure... well, others have suggested above. The stick should be sufficient to ensure safe passage each time.

They also do no not like loud noise.

I have a loud voice and I shout NO! once or twice. That usually works.

I lady friend with a quiet voice used a tin with some stones in it. She would rattle it vigorously in their face. Again, she said that it worked.

A stick the dogs will see and keep their distance, do not turn your back to them as that is when they will attack. Do know that if you hit a dog with a stick and someone reports you then the law is in favour of the dog and you can get a very serious fine or jail. 

59 minutes ago, 2long said:

I feel that there's some exaggeration in the OP.

Anyone being repeatedly 'attacked' by dogs would surely either be too injured to return or type on a keyboard.

Dogs that bark, don't usually bite especially feral dogs which do not have a fence or gate or human land to protect.

If you show fear, they will advance.

If you stand your ground, they will stop.

If you reach to the ground (pretending to pick up a stone) they will back off.

I know that there will be members saying I'm wrong, but I deal with feral dogs every day, and most are my friends. Those who want to be aggressive will always back off and not return, without anyone getting hurt.

As @VocalNealrightly says, they're pretty simple creatures that thrive on fear and work in packs.

Don't turn your back or let them surround you.

Don't be afraid if you're an adult.

Waiting for criticism, but I don't care.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

One of the neighbors used his bike , to fend himself from the soi inhabitants.

It worked! He got off his bike and shoved the bike forward several times before he threw it at them , afterwards 

they ran off.

image.png.5cbf951ee9ac15002ae0bc61b37f6a63.png

Threw the bike at the dogs? REALLY threw the bike itself?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

only if your a teen with a motorbike and all your mates are gangs.

Great! We all should join these gangs for our safety.

Thanks a million for the valuable tip.

• Thanks 1

Same issue for me, so many of them. Even a small kick from my bicycle to their nose runs them off, if I can hit it. Seems like they are most aggressive night and early morning, during the heat they are passive. Why do the locals feed them, I guess that's the real issue. Does it make them feel kind or like a good person?

Try and read their behaviour and what's going on, 95% of soi dogs i come across are fine, no problem at all.

For example when approaching dogs talk in a calm non aggressive voice, that calms them down if jumpy, tone is very important

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Dogs have quite simple brains. At some time in the past you have threatened one or more of them and now they remember you as hostile.

More like his smell, dogs seem to be controlled by smell, I hope the OP doesn't use BRUT......😆

Pepper spray sounds a good idea if nobody else is around, and walk with a stick of some sort...

I'm liking the suggestion to carry treats for a long term, around home solution.  But I'm often accosted away from home and I've always found bending over to look like I'm picking up stones has been effective.  And if I know I'm walking into a pack's territory, I pick up a stick before I get there and toss it away when I'm past them.   Not even a big stick, and I've never made contact.  That's always worked for me and I anticipate it will tomorrow when I'm walking to my hotel in Kanchanaburi, past the same mongrels that I walk past every time I stay there.

Regarding those who suggest dogs key in on fear, so what?  Fear is normal in those situations.  Whether I turn that fear into flight, or fight is the unknown.  The fear itself is a given.  And, I propose, smart.

Edited by impulse