Missing Canadian found dead at central Thailand railway station

webfact

image.jpeg

Police today discovered the dead body of a Canadian man under the platform of Chet Samian Railway Station in the central province of Ratchaburi. This discovery followed a missing person report filed yesterday, March 20.

A group of foreigners lodged a missing persons report at Banpong Police Station yesterday, saying that their Canadian friend, 26 year old Ralph Joseph Ryan, disappeared while they were on train No. 168, travelling from Bangkok to the southern provinces of Chumphon and Trang.

According to the friends, Ryan separated from them to smoke cigarettes outside the train carriage when they reached Ratchaburi province. It was his habit to stand at the train door while smoking. However, Ryan did not return after 30 minutes. The friends decided to stop at Baan Kluay Station to seek help from the police when he did not return.

Police officers and railway authorities set out a search party for Ryan but could not locate him. The friends tracked his last known location near Klong Bang Tarn Station in the Banpong district of Ratchaburi province using his phone signal.

Despite conducting searches from Klong Bang Tarn Station and other stations, officers could not find the missing man.

Photaram Police Station later received a report from the leader of a platform construction team that one of his workers stumbled upon the Canadian man beneath the platform of Chet Samian Station in Ratchaburi province.

Falling off train

The worker informed the police that he usually napped in the gap beneath the platform every afternoon. He went there today and was shocked to see a dead body.

Ryan was found shirtless, wearing dark blue shorts, with his wallet and ID card in his trouser pocket. Nearby were his flip-flops and headphones. He had a major wound on his left leg, and blood strains were presented on the platform.

Police suspect that Ryan might have accidentally fallen off the train, with his leg striking the platform causing severe injury and blood loss.

They believed ongoing construction at the station might have contributed to his fall. A concrete structure projecting from the platform potentially hit his leg while he was smoking at the train door, causing his fall and injury.

Officers also believed that Ryan might have sought refuge in the gap beneath the platform to avoid being hit by the train. However, due to his severe injury, he could not get out of the gap.

His body has been transferred to the Institute of Forensic Medicine for an autopsy.

The State Railway of Thailand prohibits smoking on trains and at train stations. There are no designated smoking areas on trains, leading many passengers to smoke at train doors or open windows, violating the rules.

image.jpeg

Photo via One 31

by Petch Petpailin 

Photo via One 31

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-22

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 12

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So far many of above posts are discraceful. The bloke died. An avoidable death for sure but that wasn't the outcome.

And yet your priority was to attack others, and censure the victim for not avoiding his fate, without managing so much as a RIP. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Land of the unusual colorful ways to die here vol 6 is now on sale 🤔Rip

RIP to the poor man who lost his life for whatever reason.

• Police today discovered the dead body of a Canadian man under the platform of Chet Samian Railway Station

Considering the above, I cant understand the above quoted response. 

Edited by ravip
Correction

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Not a bad job, able to have a nap every afternoon. 

The 1st thought that occurred to me after declaring, yesterday, that Thais have no work ethic forcing the country to rely on exploiting foreign workers.

• Confused 5

37 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Your comment suggests otherwise.

Is that because my comment was about the country where most of us live, where this forum originates, and the death occurred.

You found my use of the word "only" upset your sensibilities and needed to be called out.

Would it set your world back in balance if I admitted people elsewhere may also be able to sleep near passing trains?

Edited by Old Croc
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

RIP is a religious thing. One can show respect without need of RIP. If by saying that he died from smoking is disrepectful then yes, guilty as charged. If you look a little more carefully at the handful of words in my post I said it was avoidable so this from you pure nonsense: "censure the victim for not avoiding his fate, ...."

Agree about RIP, missed your show of respect. Noted your attack on other posters.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

Agree about RIP, missed your show of respect. Noted your attack on other posters.

To call out people for being disrespectful in my book is not a personal attack. Simply pointing out that flippant comments when someone has been killed IMO isn't particularly good form.

• Like 1

Should it be found that the construction intrusion attributed to his fall and fatality then one would expect compensation would be forwarded to the family, but TIT so who knows.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You are not supposed to sit between carriages. 

Construction companies working on SRT facilities are not supposed to leave exposed construction obstacles or intrusions that could cause injury or fatality in situ.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I don't think we've ever had a falling off train death,  had plenty of hit by train stories or drunk run over by train but never a falling off.

27 December 2022 at Kanchanaburi 

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/12/27/irish-man-dies-after-falling-from-train-in-thailand/

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1