American Arrested in Wichit for Allegedly Taking Away Minor from Parental Guardian

webfact

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

In western countries, we'd call this statutory rape.

Assuming she was 16/17, how many "Western" countries can you name where it actually is though? Even at 15 some "Western" countries are ok with it. Just saying.

Edited by Simon1287
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Simon1287 said:

Assuming she was 16/17, how many "Western" countries can you name where it actually is though? Even at 15 some "Western" countries are ok with it. Just saying.

Not many Western Countries are OK with underaged prostitution .

A an older Western guy paying an underaged girl for sex and some posters try to justify that by stating some young girls have boyfriends!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Not many Western Countries are OK with underaged prostitution .

A an older Western guy paying an underaged girl for sex and some posters try to justify that by stating some young girls have boyfriends!!!!!!

If money was paid then obviously not. I did mention that then somehow cut it out when I edited ! The charge in most "western" countries would not be statutory rape was my point.

Age difference's come into play in various countries maybe but the basic age in the vast majority of western countries is less than 18. That is the law and we all have to stick to it.

Anything else is a moral choice and none of your, or my business. 

Edited by Simon1287
typo
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

It doesn't mean that , it means that it doesn't matter whether the parents gave consent or not 

No, I think you will find that means it doesn't matter if the girl gave consent. The parents, I think, are able to give consent. Problem is they then withdraw the consent and <deleted> happens. At least, I think that's how it works. Where does it say he paid her? Is he 28 or 68? If he is a 28 year old farang it's not inconceivable she would go with him free, which may be why the charge is not more serious. He seems to have got away with the least possible so far. Is there obvious signs of sex having take place? etc etc. It's far easier for the police and parents to get bribes, sorry, see justice done when the farang takes an underage girl from a bar as she is pretty much deemed to be a prostitute.

I haven't seen the whole story (we never do) but there we are.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

No, I think you will find that means it doesn't matter if the girl gave consent. The parents, I think, are able to give consent. Problem is they then withdraw the consent and <deleted> happens. At least, I think that's how it works. Where does it say he paid her? Is he 28 or 68? If he is a 28 year old farang it's not inconceivable she would go with him free, which may be why the charge is not more serious. He seems to have got away with the least possible so far. Is there obvious signs of sex having take place? etc etc. It's far easier for the police and parents to get bribes, sorry, see justice done when the farang takes an underage girl from a bar as she is pretty much deemed to be a prostitute.

I haven't seen the whole story (we never do) but there we are.

He is 68. Why so many  poster talk about 28. Just displays that almost all poster never read the original story.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2long said:
7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

In western countries, we'd call this statutory rape.

If she's 17 and he's 28, which western countries consider it rape?

I'm guessing by your Profile name you could be British.

But if you're a Septic, then there's no point discussing it.

Only in Malta would this be rape. In all other European countries, it would be legal

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What are you on about. I am not moving in any circles. Just knows out of hearing from my wife´s village and surrounding villages as well as villages in provinces spread over Thailand where relatives are living.

In almost everyone of those villages there is a girl that has married the Thai traditional way at an age between 12-14 years.

Together with your comment you also wrote "because you haven´t been caught". I sincerely hope you are meaning in general and not pointing that on me. I am not such a guy.

As a last note: What legal things are you talking about? This is Thailand, and the law does not work as it does in your home country. Just get used to it.

"In almost everyone of those villages there is a girl that has married the Thai traditional way at an age between 12-14 years."

I think that's a stereotype. Never seen or heard of that in real life, apart from in sordid news stories. The teenage girls in my wife's village essentially stay home with their parents, who are very protective (far more than in Europe).

Edited by rattlesnake

10 hours ago, Enoon said:

It's nothing to do with parental consent.

Age of consent in Thailand (the age of the person engaging in the sexual activity) is 15.  They are the person who gives the consent.

However the law provides for the individual to withdraw their consent after the activity, parents often pressuring them to do so.

That is what gets people in trouble.

This is advice for teenagers who may think that because they are over 15 they are not liable to prosecution even though both consenting partners are over 15:

"In Thailand sexual encounters with a minor under the age of 18 may be classed as a compoundable offence, even if this was with a person over 15 and with their explicit consent.

To clarify (I hope!), what this means is that a young person having sex with another person aged 15, 16, or 17 may be prosecuted for this “compoundable offence” if one participant (normally the girl), or their parent, were to file charges against the other side when they later decided they regretted what they had done. In effect, this makes the unfettered Thai age of consent to sex to be 18 years of age."

https://www.lannaist.ac.th/keeping-our-teenage-children-safe/

So are you saying that its legal for old farang to have sexual relations with a thai lady as long as she is 18 years old or above? 

3 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

If money was paid then obviously not. I did mention that then somehow cut it out when I edited ! The charge in most "western" countries would not be statutory rape was my point.

Age difference's come into play in various countries maybe but the basic age in the vast majority of western countries is less than 18. That is the law and we all have to stick to it.

Anything else is a moral choice and none of your, or my business. 

So as long as the girl is 18 or over is that legal in Thailand ie no issues with the law?

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Consent may have been given, but that doesn't change the law.

In Thailand there is a judicial process from transferring custodial obligation of anyone to another individual, even for a spouse of legal age. Nowhere in this article do I see mention of legal change of guardianship. Alleged consent by parents by itself is not legal.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

But thai girls can get pregnant at 14 from their thai boyfriend and nothing is said. 

Do you seriously not see the difference?

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 8:51 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Can we please see a statistic how often Thais do the same and how often they are arrested.

And did the American take away the teenager from the house of the parents? Or did the parents send their child to work as a prostitute and then they discovered that they can make even more money when they accuse those bad farangs? 

She knew what she was doing... right... just like all the minor girls being trafficked these days according to you and your previous posts.

On 3/22/2024 at 8:43 PM, LivinginKata said:

He is 68. Why so many  poster talk about 28. Just displays that almost all poster never read the original story.  

Obviously you didn't read the OP... and I quote... "The Wichit Police told the Phuket Express that earlier this week they arrested the wanted suspect, identified only as Mr. Mark, 28, American national."

Seems one rule for one and one rule for another in Thailand. 

Not sure of this case but my wife is allowing my son to stay with her and not send him despite me insisting she sends him back as I have sole custody and she has none at all and I have been down the police station many times and they basically laughed at me. 

On 3/22/2024 at 11:25 PM, Srikcir said:

In Thailand there is a judicial process from transferring custodial obligation of anyone to another individual, even for a spouse of legal age. Nowhere in this article do I see mention of legal change of guardianship. Alleged consent by parents by itself is not legal.

Same to legally adopt an above 18 YO adult to be your legal child, as your child. I can be done and there's a mountain of documentation, referenced etc. After approval by the interior ministry more admin at local amhur office (not for approval) to complete all the documentation, issue new ID card, and letters to agency which issues driving licenses, road tax book, tabien baan records, banks, passport office. This takes a while but initial approval by the Interior Ministry is not challenged. 

A post and a reply has been removed due to this Forum Rule:

16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to the Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:52 AM, Gottfrid said:

Sure Dude! How long have you stayed in Thailand, as all seems to be so clear cut for you? :cheesy:

You would be surprised to know how many parents there are who married away their 12-15 year old daughter without any person accusing them or any law enforcement involved as well as the temple monks have smiles all around and condone the ritual marriage.

What goes on does not change the law when somebody is arrested, and it's not a defence.

On 3/22/2024 at 1:43 PM, LivinginKata said:

I did read the original story. I also read the first post in this thread. They do not concur, hence my question.

It does seem pretty obvious that he is 68 but as I am not one of those people who automatically assumes that whichever news outlet first reports a story necessarily had it given to them by the hand of God Almighty himself that other news agencies or forums might later learn something different.

2 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

I did read the original story. I also read the first post in this thread. They do not concur, hence my question.

My link to another news media has been removed as I cant quote from other media but in that story he was described as a 68 year old American. And he looks it from what we  can see from the blurred photo

11 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

My link to another news media has been removed as I cant quote from other media but in that story he was described as a 68 year old American. And he looks it from what we  can see from the blurred photo

I had a post with a quote removed too! I will try to be more careful in future. 

68 seems almost certain yep. 

On 3/22/2024 at 4:10 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

That's just weird, in Europe any girl from 16/17/18 would be dating and doing whatever she wants, with guys who are in their twenties, up to 28-29. Isn't this guy double F'ed too, I heard that an American is also accountable back home if doing this abroad.

US law forbids engaging in sexual activity in a foreign country with under 18 year old's. US law enforcement has a presence and is active in Thailand. This guy will have to answer to US authorities.