Paddy fails badly

Famous Thai Youtuber Paddy Doyle tried cycling from north to south. Gave up at Pichit. He was riding a heavy bike with a low seat setting as you can see. Probably better to plan better, practice for 6 months and use a faster bike.

Have you ever wanted to do this?

• Like 2

A little more experience, higher seat height to help his knees, and try in December/January to ensure no unusual (El Niño) heatwave and he should be able to do it.  

Just now, Neeranam said:

Only a fool would ride a bicycle in Thailand, especially on the main roads. Much better and faster in a car. 

What I thought in the first episode. Lots of trucks. He picked highways. Super dangerous.

• Love It 1

19 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is he super famous? Never heard of him, neither has my wife or kids.  

I thought this was another "Paddy" - Aussie YouTuber who speaks almost perfect Thai. He's ok, I like his channel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Celsius said:

I thought this was another "Paddy" - Aussie YouTuber who speaks almost perfect Thai. He's ok, I like his channel.

He's OK but I think his Thai is not so good, but better than a year ago. 

9 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

He didn't have to give up if we would choose a  (much) longer route which took you off the highway. He made it sound like you must use that highway but in reality there are plenty of other roads available.

Anyways, it was a bad idea given his fitness levels. Taking 10 hours to cover less than 100k is crazy and guarantees you'll be riding in the midday heat. He should just be focusing on getting up some reasonable level of fitness and he can easily tackle this next winter.

I think Hua Hin to border would suit. 1000km lots of back roads.

I too follow Paddy, and he has very strong legs to do all the mountain hiking he has done, but I agree with everyone else, that he was not physically ready for this bike ride. Yes, his seat was way too low, and had almost no cycling experience. I am 63 and ride about 40km a day 5 days a week, have never done super long distance but have done 90km with hills and I know how tired my body was. I ride in the morning before it gets too hot. I was actually amazed that he did as well as he did. I never would have thought a guy with basically no cycling experience could ride over 100km on his second day. I was rooting for him but had my doubts that he could accomplish his goal, maybe if he does more research and training he could try it and succeed in cooler weather and off the big roads, but I have to give him credit for attempting such a challenge. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Tedly said:

I too follow Paddy, and he has very strong legs to do all the mountain hiking he has done, but I agree with everyone else, that he was not physically ready for this bike ride. Yes, his seat was way too low, and had almost no cycling experience. I am 63 and ride about 40km a day 5 days a week, have never done super long distance but have done 90km with hills and I know how tired my body was. I ride in the morning before it gets too hot. I was actually amazed that he did as well as he did. I never would have thought a guy with basically no cycling experience could ride over 100km on his second day. I was rooting for him but had my doubts that he could accomplish his goal, maybe if he does more research and training he could try it and succeed in cooler weather and off the big roads, but I have to give him credit for attempting such a challenge. 

How much would a bike like his cost in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:

How much would a bike like his cost in Thailand?

Sorry, I have no idea. I would make a guess at about 10,000 baht, but again, just an off the top of my head guess.

1 minute ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

He struck me as a bit of a scatter brain trying to make a quick buck on YT with all of his antics, a jack of all trades and master of none. This time no respect for cyclists or what they know shown. Can just imagine the smile on his face at the Taylor Swift concert.

Well he gave up teaching to do Youtube. These guys need to keep making videos. Poor planning and no idea how to ride. 

• Agree 1

It might have been a safer journey if he had tried this stunt in 1905.

Much cooler back then, too, without the impacts of Global Warming and the increased effects of the present-day BURNING SEASONS.

Maybe he should have taken along a large tank of Oxygen and Mask?

• Haha 1