Circular Saw or Angle Grinder - which would be most useful ?

Daffy D

I'm too old now to do many of the jobs I managed in the past. Now if anything major comes up I will get a local guy to come in and do it.

Of course it's never as good as doing it yourself but that's life. 

In my comprehensive tool collection I still have Jig saw, reciprocating saw and of course a couple power drills, one cordless.

I could possibly manage most jobs with these tools, but obviously some jobs would be easier with either a grinder or circular saw.  But which ?

8 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

Don't use an angle grinder to cut wood.  The best you can hope for is a crude cut.

Got a jig saw and reciprocating saw to cover that. There is also the good old hand saw, remember those.

Saw.jpg.3d38d5c42e879e1592b284797e5d2e15.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the last two years I bought a couple of Bosch Professional 18V tools. They all have enough power and the batteries last.

bosch-kit-18v-bk701-gst18v-lisgks18v-lig

Not from Thailand you didn't!

From the webpage you posted the image, the price alone tells me that it is a DIY kit, not professional industrial tools.

'Botch' Tools.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Not from Thailand you didn't!

From the webpage you posted the image, the price alone tells me that it is a DIY kit, not professional industrial tools.

'Botch' Tools.

I am so sorry that I confused you with an image just somewhere from the internet and not from the company where I bought the tools.

If you don't like Bosch Professional products, then I guess you never used them or never looked them up. You could try to inform yourself before you show your ignorance online. 

Here is the URL from the website of the company where I bought the tools, in Thailand:

https://tcltools.com/

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't like Bosch Professional products, then I guess you never used them or never looked them up. You could try to inform yourself before you show your ignorance online. 

I prefer professional tools and not the DIY type you posted.
You obviously don't know the difference.

I've used Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, none of which proved up to the job or were reliable.
Once I discovered Hitachi professional tools, I never looked back.

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Here is the URL from the website of the company where I bought the tools, in Thailand:

https://tcltools.com/

Another generic link to a tool site, but not a direct link to the products you posted.

This is an example of what I mean by Professional tools, and it's a Bosch.

image.jpeg.f9d7f01744fa1e5689592d83d26fe66b.jpeg

That's equivalent to 32,000 BHT, probably more than the whole kit you posted.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I've used Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, none of which proved up to the job or were reliable.

Another generic link to a tool site, but not a direct link to the products you posted.

I bought a Hitachi drill in Thailand because the shop had a Hitachi repair centre, it went wrong, took it back for repair to be told we don't repair Hitachi now....😯

Can't go wrong with Genuine Makita, I wouldn't entertain Bosch tools, just a name......🤗

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

I bought a Hitachi drill in Thailand because the shop had a Hitachi repair centre, it went wrong, took it back for repair to be told we don't repair Hitachi now....😯

Can't go wrong with Genuine Makita, I wouldn't entertain Bosch tools, just a name......🤗

So Makita isn't a name? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I start to get annoyed with your ignorant comments.

But just to make you happy I just looked it up. I bought a Bosch Cordless hammer drill GBH18V-26F + GDE18V-16FC SET for 26,234 THB.

Do I have to look up all the other prices for angle grinder, saws, etc. and post the invoices for you?

Or can you try to imagine that you are not the only guy who has some decent tools?

Hilti is obviously good. But it's not the only good brand. 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Or can you try to imagine that you are not the only guy who has some decent tools?

I appear to be the only one that knows the difference between DIY tools v Professional tradesmen tools.

You were the one being sarcastic, commenting in reply to my post, as if I was some dumb old Beverley Hillbilly, that didn't know the difference between a circular saw, table saw and a grinder.  🙄

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But just to make you happy I just looked it up. I bought a Bosch Cordless hammer drill GBH18V-26F + GDE18V-16FC SET for 26,234 THB.

I thought you bought a kit, such inconsistencies.

"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all of the time,"

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I thought you bought a kit, such inconsistencies.

That might be what you thought, but I never said I bought a kit.

I will add you now to my ignore list so that I don't have to read more of your annoying comments.

Enjoy your small little world. 

42 minutes ago, transam said:

That's a trait throughout Thailand.

I purchased a DeWalt planer and knowing it was going to be put to a lot of use, I requested a spare blade.
We don't sell spare blades, came the reply.
It's simple, when the blade is knackered, you just buy another planer  🤪

47 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The price for the tool you post is ฿23,000 which is slightly less than the equivalent exchange rate for $700 

https://itoolmart.com/product/89mz9/BOSCHGBH18V34CF18V

so your quoted 32,000 is rather fantastic 

all the professional tools you want are available from a few suppliers. However the majority of buyers here want cheap tools or moderately priced better quality ones, very few want to pay the prices for the premium quality tools but they are available if you look hard enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Liquorice said:

That's a trait throughout Thailand.

I purchased a DeWalt planer and knowing it was going to be put to a lot of use, I requested a spare blade.
We don't sell spare blades, came the reply.
It's simple, when the blade is knackered, you just buy another planer  🤪

I have a problem buying "real" Stanley knife blades here......Spares for lots of things are a prob, though I have done well on Lazada with stuff, though most come from China.....🤗

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The price for the tool you post is ฿23,000 which is slightly less than the equivalent exchange rate for $700 

Look again, it was £££££££'s as in English pounds.
Equivalent to 32,000 BHT thereabouts.

18 minutes ago, transam said:

I have a problem buying "real" Stanley knife blades here......Spares for lots of things are a prob, though I have done well on Lazada with stuff, though most come from China.....🤗

I think most professional shops don't sell over Lazada or something like that.

I think I found "my" Bosch shop by going to the Bosch website and looking for authorized dealers in Thailand.

I bought by now at least 6 battery powered Bosch Professional tools from them, plus accessories. Their service is professional - like one would expect from someone who sells tools to professionals. 

I am sure such professional shops exist for many brands. 

22 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Look again, it was £££££££'s as in English pounds.
Equivalent to 32,000 BHT thereabouts.

There is little point in comparing sterling prices as the prices in the U.K. are always much higher than in other countries.

However that doesn’t address the point that the tool you are referring to is about 135% more expensive in the U.K. and is reasonably easily available from quality suppliers in Thailand by mail order and probably in person in Hardware House HQ

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I have Milwaukie 18v fuel cordless tools

They go pretty good.

Hilti is good 

But Milwaukee  provides a better balance between price and quality 

For our heavy hammer drills , chipping gunns and epoxy gun systems we used exclusively Hilti  (High rise concrete) 

But for hand held cordless tools that took a beating at the job site, we  exclusively used Milwaukee .

The Milwaukee angle grinder is good (I have one) but it eats' up  the batteries pretty quick , when ever I use it I always have two batteries at hand,  one always charging.

When near electric, nothing beats a wired angle grinder, 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However that doesn’t address the point that the tool you are referring to is about 135% more expensive in the U.K. and is reasonably easily available from quality suppliers in Thailand by mail order and probably in person in Hardware House HQ

Try searching for similar in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Try searching for similar in Thailand.

I gave you a link to a Thai supplier of the tool you mentioned so I don’t see the problem. I agree that searching in English isn’t the easiest but I have used the supplier I linked to as well as a few others for quality tools. The search function is made more complicated by the propensity of tool makers to change the names of tools in different regions so you have to investigate carefully to ensure that you get the tool you want. 

48 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I gave you a link to a Thai supplier of the tool you mentioned so I don’t see the problem.

Indeed, you did, the problem being that price is merely for the drill, without any batteries or charger, and you really require those as well.

I only posted the Bosch as an example of a professional battery drill.

For 35+ years, I worked as a self-employed contractor on new build housing estates, where only battery tools were permitted.
I also worked carrying out repairs on elderly and disabled folks on behalf of a local charitable organisation, and in-between purchased properties in need of gutting and renovation, after which I sold them and moved onto the next.

During this time, I tried all makes, Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, which were top brand names, but sadly never lived up to expectations or the price paid.

Returning yet again for the second time in 12 months a faulty DeWalt combi drill, my local supplier recommended Hitachi.
I've sworn by them since.
The 18v 3A combi drill and the 18v 4A SDS drills I brought over from the UK had been used almost daily for 10 years previously without a hiccup.
In the 10+ years in Thailand I've built an extension on my wife's home, and we've just completed renovating an old rural village house, using the same drills, now 20 years old.

One battery, out of 4, is now not fully charging, but still usable.
I paid £250 and £400 respectively all those years ago and consider them worth every penny.

My regret is that I couldn't bring all my Hitachi tools to Thailand.

Edited by Liquorice

Go buy a new one of each,

They are cheap.

You can't use the same machine for every job safely.

a visit to the hospital will cost you 10 times or more the cost of the machines.

don't listen to the fools.

12 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Indeed, you did, the problem being that price is merely for the drill, without any batteries or charger, and you really require those as well.

To quote yourself, look again. The price I quoted included a battery and charger @ 23,000 the price for the tool alone is 21,830.

However there are many who want the tool only as the already have batteries and chargers.

I agree on the quality of hitachi and have a couple myself.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I agree on the quality of hitachi and have a couple myself.

Although they are the not the highest quality that I have, they are good enough for the job they do.

The best tool for the job is dependant on your needs and the needs of the job.

FWIW I have a couple of angle grinders from Hitachi from before the name and quality change, I also have 3 Hory grinders that all together cost half the price of the cheapest Hitachi or ฿258 each. They are cheap but for the job (grinding down and polishing welds) they are perfectly adequate and if they fail it’s a no brainier to replace them, there is no point in having  2 tools 

When you can have 4 and don’t need to change grinding wheels, if I were using them all day every day the answers could easily be different, but I’m not.

Is the Hitachi a better tool? Of course it is. Is it better enough for the job? Absolutely not, the cheap Hory grinders do the same job for about 1/10 the cost.

For an SCMS I have a Makita that was ⅓  the cost of the alternative and does an adequate job to excellent, while I could have afforded the ฿70,000+ for the better tool I didn’t have a need for the light weight and precision that the higher price got me.