Circular Saw or Angle Grinder - which would be most useful ?

Daffy D

After many years of building, fixing and maintenance, both my circular saw and angle grinder gave up within a short time of each other. 

Most of the heavy work round the house has been done so would, hopefully only have small jobs to do in the future.

I don't want to necessarily buy two new machines so was thinking that I could manage with just one.

With different blades available for both machines, wood, metal and stone the only difference I can see is with the circular saw having guides for cutting straighter lines. A grinder has the tendency wander about a bit. At least it does when I use it. :whistling:

So which would be better the more versatile and useful machine ?

IMO a circular saw is much more versatile than an angle grinder. 

You can change the blade on the circular saw and cut metal or concrete .

You could but wood with a angle grinder but you won't do a good cut, you can't really make a good straight cut. You cant adjust the depth of the cut and you cant set an angle. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

angle grinder... you can buy mini circular saw blades for them... though they scare the crap outta me to use

Yes, I saw those and thought....Naaaaaaaaaah....😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, I saw those and thought....Naaaaaaaaaah....😬

I actually tried one... it works... maybe too well, Scary as heck. I already had an accident a few years back and almost sliced my hand off with a circular saw from the kickback when you stop and start again without backing up a bit... so I became wary of the small blade... but they do have them...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

I actually tried one... it works... maybe too well, Scary as heck. I already had an accident a few years back and almost sliced my hand off with a circular saw from the kickback when you stop and start again without backing up a bit... so I became wary of the small blade... but they do have them...

I know, Mr.DIY has a great selection at silly money...:stoner:

After spending two years renovating an old rural village home, I ask yourself one simple question;

Are you likely to be taking the material to the tool to cut, or the tool to the material to cut, in future?
You then have the answer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

After spending two years renovating an old rural village home, I ask yourself one simple question;

Are you likely to be taking the material to the tool to cut, or the tool to the material to cut, in future?
You then have the answer.

A circular saw is not a table saw.

And circular saws and angle grinders are both available battery powered. 

if you look at the Maktec, they are actually Makita products, but a fraction of the price. you could buy both saw and grinder for the same price as 1 Makita branded tool. (although no cordless maktec)

Edited by frank83628

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A circular saw is not a table saw.

Jeez, 40 years in the trade with a garage full of 'Industrial' tools, and you've just enlightened me.   🙄

The point I was making is if you're going to be cutting, timber, steel, or brick/blocks outside the home a circular saw may be more versatile.
If you're going to be doing jobs in and around the home, then an angle grinder will be more beneficial.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And circular saws and angle grinders are both available battery powered. 

In Thailand, I've found industrial quality tools hard to come by, all what I would rate as DIY stuff.
Battery powered tools simply lack power or longevity here.
I went through two 12v battery combi drills within 12 months, which were simply not up to the task.

I then brought my Hitachi 18V 3A combi drill from the UK along with my Hitachi 18V 4A SDS drill, and after 10 years and being battered they're still going strong.

Personally, after years of using various manufacturers power tools, I wouldn't purchase anything other than Hitachi, although Panasonic are also up there.

That's kind of like asking whether I should buy a screwdriver or a hammer.

I'd buy the Maktecs, both circular saw and grinder.  I had great luck with Maktec power tools in Thailand.

I have four angle grinders each with a different head/wheel on them but only one circular saw that has to say something....

Oh I lied, I also have a Bosch 10" drop cutter :biggrin:

15 hours ago, Daffy D said:

After many years of building, fixing and maintenance, both my circular saw and angle grinder gave up within a short time of each other. 

Most of the heavy work round the house has been done so would, hopefully only have small jobs to do in the future.

I don't want to necessarily buy two new machines so was thinking that I could manage with just one.

With different blades available for both machines, wood, metal and stone the only difference I can see is with the circular saw having guides for cutting straighter lines. A grinder has the tendency wander about a bit. At least it does when I use it. :whistling:

So which would be better the more versatile and useful machine ?

Can you afford to buy both?

1 hour ago, impulse said:

That's kind of like asking whether I should buy a screwdriver or a hammer.

I'd buy the Maktecs, both circular saw and grinder.  I had great luck with Maktec power tools in Thailand.

It's nothing like "should I buy a screwdriver or a hammer". An angle grinder will do most jobs a circular saw will do, but a circular saw wil never substitute an angle grinder.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

There's gotta be a reason why.

the reason is you don't get the different model options,  the catalogue is much smaller. just the basic tools. 
there are 5 different Makita routers, Maktec only 1, the biggest,  it's identical but red, identical specs, 3500bt or 11500kbt
belt sander, 1 option, the biggest, instead of 4, planer, 2 instead of 5, circular saw, 2 instead of 5, 
i have the Maikta versions at home, they are identical. Makita is embossed on the case with Maktec sticker over it.
i think it's just a budget line. i am not sure how good the cordless drill is though. but rest are good cheap tools for home reno or DIY, apart form my cordless drills  & chop saw , all my kit is Maktec.

also Makita spares are readily available. compared to cheapo lazada specials.

Edited by frank83628

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Jeez, 40 years in the trade with a garage full of 'Industrial' tools, and you've just enlightened me.   🙄

The point I was making is if you're going to be cutting, timber, steel, or brick/blocks outside the home a circular saw may be more versatile.
If you're going to be doing jobs in and around the home, then an angle grinder will be more beneficial.

In Thailand, I've found industrial quality tools hard to come by, all what I would rate as DIY stuff.
Battery powered tools simply lack power or longevity here.
I went through two 12v battery combi drills within 12 months, which were simply not up to the task.

I then brought my Hitachi 18V 3A combi drill from the UK along with my Hitachi 18V 4A SDS drill, and after 10 years and being battered they're still going strong.

Personally, after years of using various manufacturers power tools, I wouldn't purchase anything other than Hitachi, although Panasonic are also up there.

In the last two years I bought a couple of Bosch Professional 18V tools. They all have enough power and the batteries last.

bosch-kit-18v-bk701-gst18v-lisgks18v-lig

Thanks for all your  help and suggestions.

I'm leaning toward a cordless angle grinder as it does seem to do most things, except cut straight lines and proper angles but that's down to me. 

It's not really a question of affordability of buying two machines, it's a question of how much use they will get.

Now that the main work round the property is done chances are that each or both machines will sit on the shelf for months in between use. Better having just one machine sitting round idle.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

An angle grinder will do most jobs a circular saw will do

Maybe I just don't have enough imagination.

How do you make a straight precise cut in wood with an angle grinder?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Daffy D said:

Thanks for all your  help and suggestions.

I'm leaning toward a cordless angle grinder as it does seem to do most things, except cut straight lines and proper angles but that's down to me. 

It's not really a question of affordability of buying two machines, it's a question of how much use they will get.

Now that the main work round the property is done chances are that each or both machines will sit on the shelf for months in between use. Better having just one machine sitting round idle.  

Does it really matter how many tools are on the shelf?

Maybe you buy now one of them, and in 3 months you would like to use the other one, but you don't have it. Then 3 months later the same situation again. And then? Likely you will buy also the 2nd tool. And then you ask yourself: Why didn't I buy both of them and avoid the headache?

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does it really matter how many tools are on the shelf?

Maybe you buy now one of them, and in 3 months you would like to use the other one, but you don't have it. Then 3 months later the same situation again. And then? Likely you will buy also the 2nd tool. And then you ask yourself: Why didn't I buy both of them and avoid the headache?

Should that occurrence arise the op can do another post on 'oh how I wished I'd bought both tools' instead of the op post of "Circular Saw or Angle Grinder - which would be most useful ?" 😉😂😂

• Haha 1