Transferring $20,000 USD

19 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

The problem with carrying $20,000 usd is one of bulk... $100 bills are the largest usd so that would be 2000 bills... can't just fold it and stick it in your pocket... I did it recently with a money belt but was searched at airport... no big deal just inconvenient.

I like the way you do your math.

I got some land in Florida for 20K if you're interested.

You can pay me in 100.00 bills using your same calculations:cheesy:........

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I would carry it in while you can. Keep 2.5k and cash the rest as needed. Looks like thb will be weakening going forward. All this assumes a safe place for the cash.

Change at Superrich Green

Ask bank ahead of time for new, crisp notes. Carry wd slip with you in case the cops want to steal it.

17 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

There is no limit but you have to declare if more than 10k.

You can bring $20k into Thailand without declaring... be aware that you are only allowed $10k upon leaving the USA without declaring.

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not even those TSA blue shirts?

Nope

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

You can bring $20k into Thailand without declaring... be aware that you are only allowed $10k upon leaving the USA without declaring.

Nope

Obviously you did not read the thread.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Thank you all for correcting my math and taking away my "typo" excuse... still allot of bills to fold

FX shops don't like 'em folded.  May not accept them.  

36 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

says the two brits who have never had 2 stacks of hundred dollar bills between them ever.

Bad at math and unpleasant is no way to go through life, son.

2 minutes ago, tjintx said:

FX shops don't like 'em folded.  May not accept them.  

Never had a problem with folds but anyway No problem, just wash dry and iron.

7 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Not one of you has suggested a way to carry unfolded bills... I use a money belt... what do you use... do you just stuff them in your ass or what?

My case proven.

One thing to consider re: cash, you need to make sure all 200 of the Benjamins are pristine (date, condition, etc.), as the best rate money changers here are quite particular.

I think any tax implications would be equal, assuming you're going to deposit the exchanged THB into a local bank account.

Personally, I would do a SWIFT wire transfer. For me, at BBL, that would net 721,500 now (Mon., 3/25/24 ~ 08:35). 

6 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

says the two brits who have never had 2 stacks of hundred dollar bills between them ever.

Said someone who could never know how wrong he was, ever (about one of them, at least).   I'm interested in what could possibly have made you think that.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the good info. My ultimate thought on the subject is I want to bring in cash under the radar pf both Uncle Sam and the Thai gov't. Keeping all cash under $10k makes it so I don't have to report any of it. No tax on that amount.