Any great beaches on the mainland?

Going to Hua Hin. Are there any great beaches even further south near Surat or NST? Or even near southern HH. I only know the main HH beach plus Ao Manao then you have Ban Krut. I have not been to Bang Saphan.

I didn't care for Ban Saphans, thought quite some time ago, but beach wise, guess that doesn't make much difference.  If anything, better then, as not as developed.

Ao Manao, Ban Krut & Thung Wua Laen are the only ones I would bother with swimming in.  Or even just hanging out on.   HH is OK to look at, but that's about it, and only the southern part.   Some folks say there's a couple just south, on other side of Khao Takiab, but I thought they were crap.

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I didn't care for Ban Saphans, thought quite some time ago, but beach wise, guess that doesn't make much difference.  If anything, better then, as not as developed.

Ao Manao, Ban Krut & Thung Wua Laen are the only ones I would bother with swimming in.  Or even just hanging out on.   HH is OK to look at, but that's about it, and only the southern part.   Some folks say there's a couple just south, on other side of Khao Takiab, but I thought they were crap.

Khao Tao is supposed to be good

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Khao Tao is supposed to be good

On the MAINLAND

Koh Tao not known for its beaches.

The question is entirely subjective. I would say no. In fact, I would state that any island less than about 40 km off the coast probably has less than exceptional beaches

Having said that, I am personally only satisfied and visit or stay on beaches that are at least four or five star. World class because why would a person go anywhere else when they have that opportunity? This is one of the best things that is on offer in Thailand. By and large free

Edited by Sluglord
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

On the MAINLAND

The question is entirely subjective. I would say no. In fact, I would state that any island less than about 40 km off the coast probably has less than exceptional beaches

Khao Tao beach is near Hua Hin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Khao Tao beach is near Hua Hin.

Apologies, misread Khao for Koh.

Stand by my observation though. Anything less than 40km off the mainland is generally fairly average experience.

Don't get me wrong it could be a great place to live or even a nice day out but if you're looking for staying days or even weeks or a really exceptional experience you need to get off the mainland

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Well that's a bit silly. Phuket has some great beaches and that is a few hundred metres from the mainland. Koh Samet has stunning beaches and that is maybe 3kms from the mainland? Koh Chang also and that is 5kms max.

As someone who has written yet never published a complete guide to Andaman Islands excluding Phuket our opinions differ.

Personally, I stay well away from Phuket for a variety of reasons. These past years have only reinforced. The provinces both North and South have very fun beaches if you know, you know

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes. Starting just south of Pak Nam Pran, east of Pranburi, all the way south to Ban Saphan Noi are many 5-10km long beaches, with nobody on them during the week. They are clean and lovely. Best beaches on the Gulf. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The OP asked about the Gulf. Last I saw, Phuket is on the Andaman. Yes, that is an amazing body of water, but many of us stay as far away from Phuket as we possibly can, for a dozen good reasons. 

Well the thread title was "any great beaches on the mainland". And anyway I was replying to a different poster who went off on a tangent saying the only decent beaches are on islands more than 40kms from the mainland, hence Phuket being an example in my reply.

There are plenty of mainland beaches that look great, but when it comes to going onto a mainland Thai beach, it is usually an uncomfortable experience both on the unbearably-hot sand with a humid, non-cooling breeze …and in the ridiculously shallow, non-refreshing warm water.

Yuck. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/24/2024 at 9:18 PM, Sluglord said:

On the MAINLAND

Having said that, I am personally only satisfied and visit or stay on beaches that are at least four or five star. World class because why would a person go anywhere else when they have that opportunity? This is one of the best things that is on offer in Thailand. By and large free

Did you get your Taos mixed up?

On 3/25/2024 at 2:10 AM, Dolf said:

Going to Hua Hin. Are there any great beaches even further south near Surat or NST? Or even near southern HH. I only know the main HH beach plus Ao Manao then you have Ban Krut. I have not been to Bang Saphan.

H H is too far north, Go south, down to where it's all miles of deserted beaches. I stayed at a guesthouse that had miles of unbuilt coastline either side. Bliss.

On 3/25/2024 at 9:23 AM, Nemises said:

There are plenty of mainland beaches that look great, but when it comes to going onto a mainland Thai beach, it is usually an uncomfortable experience both on the unbearably-hot sand with a humid, non-cooling breeze …and in the ridiculously shallow, non-refreshing warm water.

Yuck. 

Not my experience. Perhaps you went wrong time of year.

On 3/25/2024 at 3:26 AM, josephbloggs said:

Well that's a bit silly. Phuket has some great beaches and that is a few hundred metres from the mainland. Koh Samet has stunning beaches and that is maybe 3kms from the mainland? Koh Chang also and that is 5kms max.

Anyway I agree the beaches on the mainland are mainly disappointing (not that I've been to every beach mind you), but to say you have to go 40kms offshore to get a good beach is just nonsense.

I haven't been on all the Phuket beaches, but the 4 I did go on were very average. Best beach on Samui ( Chaweng )was ruined by overbuilding and Lamai has horrible sand to walk on. Samet beaches suck IMO and I walked almost the entire island. The big beach on Chang is OK, but the other are not much.

If you want great beaches that are easy to reach, Lanta is the place. No <deleted> long tails either.

My favourite beaches were north east Phangan, but NOT either of the Thong Nai Pan beaches. Had Rin used to be the best beach in Thailand, but only before the FMP started.

Hua Hin IMO doesn't even qualify as a beach as it vanishes at high tide. The beach where the palace is is super ordinary and was quite dirty when I walked on it

8 hours ago, Nemises said:

Oh, so shallow beaches only occur at a certain time of the year?

I was referring to

On 3/25/2024 at 9:23 AM, Nemises said:

it is usually an uncomfortable experience both on the unbearably-hot sand with a humid, non-cooling breeze

Next.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I haven't been on all the Phuket beaches, but the 4 I did go on were very average. Best beach on Samui ( Chaweng )was ruined by overbuilding and Lamai has horrible sand to walk on. Samet beaches suck IMO and I walked almost the entire island. The big beach on Chang is OK, but the other are not much.

Maybe you should change your name to "thaibeachkindoflikersabit". 

Kata beach in Phuket is great, as is Nai Harn. I was in Samui a few weeks ago and Chaweng was stunning, clear water, powdery sand, clean and lovely. Loads of other great beaches on Samui too. 

Samet (again was there recently) has Sai Kaew which is super powdery, clean and with lovely water. 

Agree with you on Koh Chang.

Hua Hin IMO doesn't even qualify as a beach as it vanishes at high tide. The beach where the palace is is super ordinary and was quite dirty when I walked on it

Also agree with this. Also Hua Hin is generally a turd hole, nothing of interest there (to me).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Next

“Next”? There is no “next” because it appears that you now agree with all of my original post, which was: 1/ all beaches having shallow water; 2/ all beaches having very warm ie non-refreshing water temperatures; and 3/ beaches usually* having humid, non-cooling breezes and unbearably hot sand. 

*Usually… meaning time of year … not all year round. 

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Maybe you should change your name to "thaibeachkindoflikersabit". 

Kata beach in Phuket is great, as is Nai Harn. I was in Samui a few weeks ago and Chaweng was stunning, clear water, powdery sand, clean and lovely. Loads of other great beaches on Samui too. 

Samet (again was there recently) has Sai Kaew which is super powdery, clean and with lovely water. 

Agree with you on Koh Chang.

Also agree with this. Also Hua Hin is generally a turd hole, nothing of interest there (to me).

My username goes back to when I joined the forum ( ThaiVisaForum ) and the beaches were all pretty good ( except Had Rin which was a <deleted> even then ).

My dislike for Chaweng is nothing to do with the sand or the sea, but everything to do with the <deleted> behind the beach. I used to stay there in JR Palace, when the residential buildings were virtually invisible when looking towards the land and the Ark Bar was a quaint structure of natural materials. Then the greed set in, JR Palace was burnt down, Ark Bar went upmarket, the nice resorts got bulldozed and the concrete trucks started. I gave up on Samui last century.

I remember standing on the ferry from Don Sak and seeing a truckload of rebar driving onto the ferry, and I knew the good times were gone.

Luckily Phangan did not have an airport, so it remained pretty much a decent island to stay on, which I did stay on for the remainder of my beach days.

IMO Kata was so ordinary I never even bothered staying on it.

Samet was a garbage tip end to end and the only thing the National Park officials did was collect the fees. The village was a vile disgusting hole and they couldn't even build a decent pier.

There is more to a beach holiday than nice sand and clear water, but if all one wants is a bar to get pissed in, I suppose it doesn't matter.