Fifteen Foreign Riders Arrested in Patong Breaking Traffic Rules

webfact

Just now, connda said:

If it was published that US cops where targeting Thai and Asian drivers - oh lordy - the screams and cries of racism would abound. 
Here in Thailand.  Racism is institutionalize and fully accepted.  Like others said, where are the listing of number of Thais pulled over?  Non-existent. 

Really, got that USA link......? 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Or maybe, just maybe, English language newspapers and websites do not post articles in Thai? (That is where the Thai miscreants are usually reported along with Thai TV items.)

I can assure you, just as many Thais are singled out for money or prejudice.

If you want to know what some (murderous) Thais get up to look in the BP on a Sunday. Under the Life channel (Social and Lifestyle). usually written by Mae Moo

Nowhere near as many Thais are singled out, because most don't have the money to pay bribes and or fines. I knew of this before I moved here and have seen it daily for over 6 years on the roads. I see thousands of locals not wearing helmets, driving underage, speeding, reckless driving, careless driving, all past police and they aren't pulled over. I do of course see check points where many are stopped, but I don't see the outcome and only go by what I hear from locals and friends here. Police in America aren't pulling people over and bribing them. You have no idea what you're saying. Police have body and car cams that record everything and I've never heard in 62 years of any taking bribes for moving violations. Of course it happened, but rarely. And Asians aren't singled out in any event by police because they would be called out for it. I get daily news worldwide and hear word of mouth by friends and relatives what goes on back home.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Strange there is no mention of Thai's being caught ....................LOL

Not really, as it isn't the subject of the article. The readership doesn't care about Thais, just our own.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Target the foreigners or farangs...they have more money and leave the thai's alone ? No surprising why foreigners stop comming back.

Where have you got the evidence from that "foreigners are not returning"?   Pulled out of a dark, musty orifice, no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fifteen Foreign Riders Arrested in Patong Breaking Traffic Rules.

That's Bad  Reporting.

What about if they've pulled over 100 Thai riders then there would be More Offenders arrested .

Absolutely Rediculous Post.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You shouldn't rent a bike when you don't have a license.

We know that, but what do the shops, who want to take farangy money, tell enquirers............:huh:..............?

9 minutes ago, transam said:

We know that, but what do the shops, who want to take farangy money, tell enquirers............:huh:..............?

Why should the shops take over police work and customers responsibilities?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

😂........Police work is to stop or solve crime, which is obvious............😂

If rental shops provide bikes to non-licenced folk, then they are committing a crime because they are giving folk permission to use their bikes without known ability to use such motorised transport..🙄

Just now, transam said:

😂........Police work is to stop or solve crime, which is obvious............😂

If rental shops provide bikes to non-licenced folk, then they are committing a crime because they are giving folk permission to use their bikes without known ability to use such motorised transport..🙄

They give permission to have the bike for a certain time. They are not committing a crime as there isn't a law forbidden it.

The renter commits the crime when they start riding it without a proper license.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

They give permission to have the bike for a certain time. They are not committing a crime as there isn't a law forbidden it.

The renter commits the crime when they start riding it without a proper license.

Really...............🤣

7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

They would if the police confiscated all those with no motor bike license.  And they all know only a Thai motor bike license is valid. All International permits only allow car here in Thailand, even if endorsed for mbike. And really how many tourists have a mbike license in home country ?

If you only get your news through this site and other English language media here, you may fall under the impression that most only foreigners are targeted by the bib. This is not the case. In my time here I've been stopped quite a few times, and only got fined when there was legal cause to do so, and several Thai drivers were stopped alongside me. If you read the Thai language media, you will see extensive reporting on Thai drivers and their escapades..

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

If you only get your news through this site and other English language media here, you may fall under the impression that most only foreigners are targeted by the bib. This is not the case. In my time here I've been stopped quite a few times, and only got fined when there was legal cause to do so, and several Thai drivers were stopped alongside me. If you read the Thai language media, you will see extensive reporting on Thai drivers and their escapades..

Correct, in fact, when cops look at me through the windscreen they usually wave me on.

A couple of times to test their English and let go.

On here, some talk a load of cr@p about farangy's being targeted..........:coffee1:

4 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I recall a few years back when the BIB were actually invalidating IDPs (International Driving Permits). 

Unsure if it was legal or not but the reason given is that the IDP is only valid for 6 months.  Although when you apply and receive the IDP it states that it is good for 12 months. 

It is two different things. The IDP itself is valid for 12 months. However, the country you are visiting may demand a local licence if you stay more than a certain time. I believe it is 3 months in most countries, including in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, farang51 said:

It is two different things. The IDP itself is valid for 12 months. However, the country you are visiting may demand a local licence if you stay more than a certain time. I believe it is 3 months in most countries, including in Thailand.

Correct......👍

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Correct. You can drive with your foreign DL together with an international driving permit for three months in Thailand. If you stay more long you need a Thai DL.

IDP just valid for 12 months is wrong. Mine is valid for 3 years.

With a Thai DL together with a Thai IDL you can drive 6 months in (all?) EU countries.

I wonder if it's correct that foreign DLs are not valid for driving a motorbike in Thailand even if you have a IDL

6 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Target the foreigners or farangs...they have more money and leave the thai's alone ? No surprising why foreigners stop comming back.

And this is the Thais complaining that the foreigners are let off and the police only target Thais.

From The Thaiger today

“This completely dares the power of Patong police officers. Foreigners are not afraid of Thai laws. They even dared to spray messages on the footpath. Police, look at this. Do not arrest only Thais. This will ruin the image of tourism in the province.”

Thai netizens commented on the video, calling on police to take action in the case. Many accused the police officers of only arresting locals and ignoring all the illegal foreigners.

Two sides to every coin.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Really? Are you sure about that?

Yes, he is correct. Endorsement for motorbikes is not valid, it has to be a specific motorbike license. So for me I have A, B and E,. B being cars, B with a motorbike endorsement is not valid without 'A'.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, he is correct. Endorsement for motorbikes is not valid, it has to be a specific motorbike license. So for me I have A, B and E,. B being cars, B with a motorbike endorsement is not valid without 'A'.

Ahh, thank you. Before I made my Thai DL I always drove bikes with my Germen DL an IDL. Never had a problem, but  DL for motorbvike was explicit mentioned on my foreign DL and IDL.

59 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

They would if the police confiscated all those with no motor bike license.  And they all know only a Thai motor bike license is valid. All International permits only allow car here in Thailand, even if endorsed for mbike. And really how many tourists have a mbike license in home country ?

Really? 

I just checked my NZ issued IDP which is valid in Thailand.  I have both  car and motorcycle endorsement. 

I use both here in Thailand until I get my retirement visa. The. I'll go and get my Thai licences (again). 

To get and IDP (In NZ at least) you must have a full licence for the category you wish to obtain.  I have full licence for all categories less passenger and bus. 

Are you saying the IDPs are Incorrect? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Aussie999 said:

If you don't know they don't ask, but the word "transparent" comes to mind.

Really, transparent, are you a naughty boy in LOS then.........😂

If the Thai govt. wants to make the best of this, why not hold riding classes  and issue licenses.  For a fee of course. Good for the riders, good for the businesses.

2 minutes ago, PeterA said:

If the Thai govt. wants to make the best of this, why not hold riding classes  and issue licenses.  For a fee of course. Good for the riders, good for the businesses.

I think a drunk clown could pass the current Thai motorcycle licence... 

Looking at the driving standards on the road I'd say that's a fair guess

• Agree 1