Fifteen Foreign Riders Arrested in Patong Breaking Traffic Rules

webfact

I recall a few years back when the BIB were actually invalidating IDPs (International Driving Permits). 

Unsure if it was legal or not but the reason given is that the IDP is only valid for 6 months.  Although when you apply and receive the IDP it states that it is good for 12 months. 

Additional reasoning from BIB is that you should obtain Thai licence if staying longer than 6 months. 

Plus the BIB insist that you must also have your passport with you together with the IDP for it to be valid. 

These are probable areas that can/do trip up tourists. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Patong –Fifteen foreign riders have been arrested in Patong this week for breaking traffic rules.

The Patong Police told the Phuket Express that they arrested in total 15 foreign riders this week.

Ten of them were unable to present legal driving licenses. Police released their nationalities but not their names:

American man
French man
British man
French man
German man
Chinese man
Czech man
Belgian man
Australian man
Polish man

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-03-25

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

I wonder how many  "Non Farangs " were breaking the same laws without being stopped 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

They know where the checkpoints are🤔

A Russian neighbour 6 months ago ( conscription runner ) told me the "Russian community" here have an APP and all tune in and see where road checks are throughout the Island...... ain't that rich !!  don't see Russians on the list.. lol 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Here on the islands we get big bikers in groups of 20 or more coming over from the mainland for weekends I’ve never heard about any of them being stopped or searched but there again the majority are Thai !

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

And I'm guessing they would not break the driving laws of their own country, and the people that hear of this will probably think they are idiots. 

Here foreigners are singled out, for money or prejudice. In America, you are pulled over if you break a law, no matter what your nationality or race. People that break driving laws aren't necessarily idiots, unless they are risking their or others lives by driving drunk, way over the speed limit, or recklessly.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Here on the islands we get big bikers in groups of 20 or more coming over from the mainland for weekends I’ve never heard about any of them being stopped or searched but there again the majority are Thai !

I saw 6 the other day going down the tunnel at Chalong 

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The rental shops should also be getting fined, If people don't have a license then they shouldn't be able to rent a bike 

The rental shops should not be renting bikes out to non-licenced folk, period.

The police work should start at the shops, inform them of a huge fine if found to be using the illegal practice.....🤗

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

In America, you are pulled over if you break a law,

Here you are pulled over if you don't ride in the left land. A law.

4 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Target the foreigners or farangs...they have more money and leave the thai's alone ? No surprising why foreigners stop comming back.

Oh, yes they will, with a licence......😉

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, seajae said:

the police refuse to arrest thais that break the same rules everyday but chase foreigners because there is more money in it for them, the police totally ignore thais breaking road regulations right in front of them, I see it all the time.  Bikes/cars/trucks driving the wrong way on a street, nothing, no licence, nothing, bikes/cars/trucks running red lights, nothing, failing to idicate, nothing, speeding, nothing, bikes with multiple people on them or no helmets, nothing. Thai police are very selective on who they pull over if they work at all, it all depends totally on how much graft they can get away with

Please tell that to my son.
BS.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I don't mind riding bikes and have all the necessary licences to do so. 

However after just completing a trip from Korat-Pattaya-Nakhon Sawan-Chiang Mai-Nakhon Sawan-Korat in my sister in laws Honda Jazz, there are some roads that I would steer well clear of. 

I found that any of the motorways are just down right crazy.  Yes I know bikes can't travel on them and just as well.  Talk about dumb fakrs on the road.  Here's just a small list of observations:

No indication, 

Following too close, 

Excessive speed, 

Heavy Goods vehicles not staying left, 

Treating road as racetrack and driving from one side to the other to find empty lane,

Failure to stay in lane. 

I know kiwi drivers in NZ are known to be very bad drivers but no where near the level of madness I saw here. 

Not surprised the accident level is so high and deaths from such is also high.  Crazy stuff.... bordering on scary. 

Scooting around a local Soi is fine but some of the major roads near cities ain't really good for bikes.  Open roads seem ok. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

A Russian neighbour 6 months ago ( conscription runner ) told me the "Russian community" here have an APP and all tune in and see where road checks are throughout the Island...... ain't that rich !!  don't see Russians on the list.. lol 

I am sure you'll find a similar checkpoint alert on an app somewhere for Phuket for English speaking foreigners too.  

Pattaya - there is a LINE app to alert checkpoints.  Probably one in every major city. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Patong –Fifteen foreign riders have been arrested in Patong this week for breaking traffic rules.

The Patong Police told the Phuket Express that they arrested in total 15 foreign riders this week.

Ten of them were unable to present legal driving licenses. Police released their nationalities but not their names:

American man
French man
British man
French man
German man
Chinese man
Czech man
Belgian man
Australian man
Polish man

By Goongnang Suksawat

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

1000x500-3.png

Arresting foreigners on the road is for a simple reason: they usually can afford the full fines, whereas Thais stopped often have to negotiate a lower tea ticket price....

• Agree 1

I just came back from downtown Khon Kaen . cops were out in force pulling motorbikes over. 

Almost every corner, without exaggeration had a team of traffic cops.  

Of the hundreds of bikes pulled over I did not see on farang. 

I guess end of the month and they need to make payroll. :tongue:

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Please tell that to my son.
BS.

Agreed

Everyone that I work with is Thai.

Most have been pulled over and fined at some stage for not wearing a helmet.

I usually have to send someone down with the money to pay the fine.

OK when it was 500 baht but now, at 2,000 baht............

I even bought them all helmets in the past. Twice.

They just sold them a few days later.

NB for those promoting an 'us and them' theory - none of it was reported on AN or in any newspaper.

But it happens.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

image.jpeg

American man
French man
British man
French man
German man
Chinese man
Czech man
Belgian man
Australian man
Polish man

By Goongnang Suksawat

1000x500-3.png

It's an ongoing money-maker for the BIB.  If Thailand was really interested in stopping illegal MC driving by foreigners without legal driver licenses/IDP, then they'd make it illegal for MC rental shops to rent without checking to see if those renting MC have valid licenses and permits.  Nope - it's about the money, collecting fine, and about targeting foreigners as opposed to targeting Thai businesses renting MC to foreigners who do not have licenses/permits let alone any semblance of MC experience or skill or defensive MC driving know-how.
On the flip-side, I can't understand why farang fools or foreign tourist fools in general think they can drive a MC in Thailand when they have never driven one in their home country, no less having a legal license/permit/endorsement to do so in their home counties.  Hence when we hear about Joe and Jane Farang getting killed on a MC while on holiday? 

"Stupid is as stupid does as my Mama always said."  🏍️

American man
French man
British man
French man
German man
Chinese man
Czech man
Belgian man
Australian man
Polish man

Notice that they target farangs.  Coincidence?  🤔

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

It's an ongoing money-maker for the BIB.  If Thailand was really interested in stopping illegal MC driving by foreigners without legal driver licenses/IDP, then they'd make it illegal for MC rental shops to rent without checking to see if those renting MC have valid licenses and permits.  Nope - it's about the money, collecting fine, and about targeting foreigners as opposed to targeting Thai businesses renting MC to foreigners who do not have licenses/permits let alone any semblance of MC experience or skill or defensive MC driving know-how.
On the flip-side, I can't understand why farang fools or foreign tourist fools in general think they can drive a MC in Thailand when they have never driven one in their home country, no less having a legal license/permit/endorsement to do so in their home counties.  Hence when we hear about Joe and Jane Farang getting killed on a MC while on holiday? 

"Stupid is as stupid does as my Mama always said."  🏍️

Farangs rent bikes because the shops say.........."No ploblem"................👍

Plus, the hi-so, wrinkle free uniform cops, haven't thought out anything yet.....😝...

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Here foreigners are singled out, for money or prejudice. In America, you are pulled over if you break a law, no matter what your nationality or race. People that break driving laws aren't necessarily idiots, unless they are risking their or others lives by driving drunk, way over the speed limit, or recklessly.

If it was published that US cops where targeting Thai and Asian drivers - oh lordy - the screams and cries of racism would abound. 
Here in Thailand.  Racism is institutionalize and fully accepted.  Like others said, where are the listing of number of Thais pulled over?  Non-existent.