Fifteen Foreign Riders Arrested in Patong Breaking Traffic Rules

webfact

9 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not a chance in hell, stop the locals making a living... never.

The onus is on the foreigners to be legal, it's their fault for conning the rental shop.

Presume that's a joke 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Target the foreigners or farangs...they have more money and leave the thai's alone ? No surprising why foreigners stop comming back.

who has stopped coming back, and is this due to not being legal on a motorcycle

11 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The rental shops should also be getting fined, If people don't have a license then they shouldn't be able to rent a bike 

10 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

But no mention of any Thais...mmm

9 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

However....the hundreds of Thais riding the wrong way won't be bothered....foreigners are all bad:) it seems

Agreed on all comments... 

Any rental agency renting out to those without licenses should be penalsied - after all, that is the LAW isn't it ????

And...   What about the list of Thai's arrested for 'rule breaking'... 

In Bangkok on my Soi I counted 19 riders before before I saw on with a helmet.....

The major concern here is the directive to target foreigners....  its wholly wrong... we are simply seeing racism in practice. 

While I agree with targeting those who are breaking regulations, the directive has to be target all wrong doers, whatever the nationality anything else is simply prejudice and its not even dressed up as anything else. 

What I see now is pure and simple xenophobic behavior on an official level. 

• Love It 1

This thread for us English speakers is about 15 farangy's getting nicked for being naughty on the roads.

I personally have no interest in how many Thais have been nicked, we all know a huge number don't follow any rules of the road, but I would've thought farangy's have a very good idea about road use, as they had learned and used it back home.

Of course, tourists have no idea what their laws of the road are actually implemented here, but if a rental shop tells tourists..."No Ploblem here", many will go by that and end up with a ploblem....:huh:

17 minutes ago, transam said:

This thread for us English speakers is about 15 farangy's getting nicked for being naughty on the roads.

I personally have no interest in how many Thais have been nicked, we all know a huge number don't follow any rules of the road, but I would've thought farangy's have a very good idea about road use, as they had learned and used it back home.

Of course, tourists have no idea what their laws of the road are actually implemented here, but if a rental shop tells tourists..."No Ploblem here", many will go by that and end up with a ploblem....:huh:

Thais are no criminals, but foreigners as you state it

9 minutes ago, Mika78 said:

Arrested or just fined? In the past i broke traffic laws, but only got fined.

Probably had to report to the nick to pay their fine.....😢

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed on all comments... 

Any rental agency renting out to those without licenses should be penalsied - after all, that is the LAW isn't it ????

And...   What about the list of Thai's arrested for 'rule breaking'... 

In Bangkok on my Soi I counted 19 riders before before I saw on with a helmet.....

The major concern here is the directive to target foreigners....  its wholly wrong... we are simply seeing racism in practice. 

While I agree with targeting those who are breaking regulations, the directive has to be target all wrong doers, whatever the nationality anything else is simply prejudice and its not even dressed up as anything else. 

What I see now is pure and simple xenophobic behavior on an official level. 

Yes, because you look at a website aimed at foreigners 

6 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Really? 

I just checked my NZ issued IDP which is valid in Thailand.  I have both  car and motorcycle endorsement. 

I use both here in Thailand until I get my retirement visa. The. I'll go and get my Thai licences (again). 

To get and IDP (In NZ at least) you must have a full licence for the category you wish to obtain.  I have full licence for all categories less passenger and bus. 

Are you saying the IDPs are Incorrect? 

I am saying that under Thai driving laws only a Thai Motor Bike license is legal in Thailand. What I am saying is that every visitor here in Thailand is driving a mbike illegally and the police well know that. Rich Rich picking. The rentor should not rent byt we all know that will never happen. Thousands of bikes rented every day here in Phuket where not even travel insurance will cover accident injuries.

12 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Once they are arrested and fined, it is unlikely that any brown envelopes will be issued.

I very much doubt that they were actually arrested and there is no need for any brown envelopes.  Have you ever wondered why the Thai police use old fashioned duplicate books with carbon paper for fines rather than the more modern self carbonating books?  Next time you get stopped and 'fined' take a look and see if there's a piece of carbon paper in place - I've never seen one.

It would be interesting to look at one of those books later and see if the amounts on the receipts you are issued is the same as the amount in the book.

As far as I know, they don't even bother with receipts when stopping Thai's at the frequent helmet wearing checks.

"No helmet, 50 baht sir",

"can I have a receipt please"

"certainly sir, 100 baht"

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, because you look at a website aimed at foreigners 

Thats what I'm 'hoping'....     for the sake of avoiding longer term paranoia that xenophobic behavior is being nurtured with a lot of this 'crack down on foreigners' behavior and announcements. 

I would have much preferred to read a more balanced headline... for example: 

.... "147 riders caught for breaking traffic rules in Patong, 15 of them foreign" 

Such a headline, or an article containing such information would highlight that this is not a xenophobic crackdown targeting foreigners and that that the policing is in fact carried out without prejudice. 

Edited by richard_smith237

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats what I'm 'hoping'....     for the sake of avoiding longer term paranoia that xenophobic behavior is being nurtured with a lot of this 'crack down on foreigners' behavior and announcements. 

I would have much preferred to read a more balanced headline... for example: 

.... "147 riders caught for breaking traffic rules in Patong, 15 of them foreign" 

Such a headline, or an article containing such information would highlight that this is not a xenophobic crackdown targeting foreigners and that that the policing is in fact carried out without prejudice. 

Not about the painting, but Thai complaining Thai are being targeted and foreigners left alone.