Trump wins last-minute reprieve as judge cuts fraud bond to $175m

Social Media

22 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Looks increasingly like a victory for Trump come November 5.

Yup. Harris should start looking for other employment. IMO I doubt she has had time to hide a few million $ acquired while in congress, unlike her "boss".

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Berkshire said:

So you're one of those who believes every lie out of Trump's mouth.  Sad!  By the way, "the public" is not siding with Trump, only his supporters.

Don't have to believe anything Trump says to want to get rid of Biden and Harris, and if it's Trump as the only opponent then Trump it must be. I don't think you anti Trumpers understand just how much ordinary Americans despise Washington and all that live in it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Anyway, Trump's company loses money, so the share price eventually will decline.

So a Business Forum type discussion of the IPO. But for this topic, what's more germane ,,is if or how Trump might use this largesse for the $175 million bond coming due soon.

18 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Trump wins only if his cre turns out … and the vast majority of American voters do not vote. I they majority votes he … again … will be defeated.

If it looks like Biden might win I'm sure many will come out to stop him. The worst thing for Trump would be if he was regarded as a shoo in, as in that case many might not vote at all.

I don't normally vote, but I made sure to vote against the last shower that claimed to be a government. I did not want them getting back in.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So a Business Forum type discussion of the IPO. But for this topic, what's more germane ,,is if or how Trump might use this largesse for the $175 million bond coming due soon.

It is unclear if Trump can use his shares in the next 10 days for anything.

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

It is unclear if Trump can use his shares in the next 10 days for anything.

March 21, 2024

Mr. Trump could also obtain the board’s blessing to transfer his shares into a trust, or give them to a family member as a gift. By placing them in a trust, Mr. Trump would be able to use the shares as collateral for a loan; a family member, too, could borrow against those shares.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/business/trump-truth-social-merger.html

36 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

March 21, 2024

Mr. Trump could also obtain the board’s blessing to transfer his shares into a trust, or give them to a family member as a gift. By placing them in a trust, Mr. Trump would be able to use the shares as collateral for a loan; a family member, too, could borrow against those shares.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/business/trump-truth-social-merger.html

The problem is the possibility of share price decline. I could go into the details, but that's outside the scope of this discussion.

26 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The problem is the possibility of share price decline. I could go into the details, but that's outside the scope of this discussion.

Gee I guess the financial reporter at the  NY Times never thought of that.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Gee I guess the financial reporter at the  NY Times never thought of that.

Sometimes reporters get it wrong.

Anything Trump does with his shares will be public information, and could sink the stock.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

And sometimes amateurs posting on a website get it wrong.

My amateur view on what the reporter with 30 years of Wall Street reporting experience was maybe suggesting is that, if the stocks are transferred to e.g. a trust, they are not sold, only pledged as collateral. And the volatility of the share price then becomes a concern to whomever was taking those shares as collateral for a loan.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

And sometimes amateurs posting on a website get it wrong.

My amateur view on what the reporter with 30 years of Wall Street reporting experience was maybe suggesting is that, if the stocks are transferred to e.g. a trust, they are not sold, only pledged as collateral. And the volatility of the share price then becomes a concern to whomever was taking those shares as collateral for a loan.

If Trump were to transfer his shares to a trust, that would have the same impact on share price as a sale. Such a transfer could precipitate a sell off.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If Trump were to transfer his shares to a trust, that would have the same impact on share price as a sale. Such a transfer could precipitate a sell off.

Your opinion?

From https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/26/business/trump-media-digital-world-acquisition-cash.html

Digital World’s lockup provision also limits major shareholders from using the stock as collateral for a loan during that six-month period.

Can Mr. Trump transfer shares during the lockup period?

Yes. The provision permits a major shareholder like Mr. Trump to transfer shares to a trust. A trust backed by some of Mr. Trump’s shares might be able to use that stock as collateral for a loan. He also can transfer shares to an immediate family member.

NB from Business Insider:

Trump risks tanking Truth Social's stock price if he cashes out
Mar 23, 2024, 6:54 PM GMT+7

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/trump-truth-social-stock-price-crash-outlook-dwac-share-sale-2024-3

not from transferring to a Trust.

Edited by jerrymahoney

18 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Anything Trump does with his shares will be public information, and could sink the stock.

most here seem to believe everything and anything they read about Trump.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

If Trump were allowed to put shares in a trust, the company would have to report the transaction to the SEC, and such a filing would be public.

Unless you believe that SEC filings are fake news, too.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

If Trump were allowed to put shares in a trust, the company would have to report the transaction to the SEC, and such a filing would be public.

So a week from today EDT, if Trump does indeed put up the $175 million, we'll know whether the DJT stock played or did not play any part in the  arrangements.

Some reason hard for you to wait that long?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So a week from today EDT, if Trump does indeed put up the $175 million, we'll know whether the DJT stock played or did not play any part in the  arrangements.

Some reason hard for you to wait that long?

I just assume that Trump will post the bond.

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

i was referring to things written (reported) about Trump in general.

Edited by frank83628
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, frank83628 said:

Unlike MAGA fans, they don't believe everything and anything Trump says. 😀

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, candide said:

Unlike MAGA fans, they don't believe everything and anything Trump says. 😀

i beg to differ, the amount of posts i've seen over the years where people have nearly jizzing their pants at the latest CNN & MSM 'Trump bombshell' only for it to fizzle out to a nothing burger, i wouldn't be too surprised if this whole fine gets reversed, will be hilarious for us to see if it does!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i beg to differ, the amount of posts i've seen over the years where people have nearly jizzing their pants at the latest CNN & MSM 'Trump bombshell' only for it to fizzle out to a nothing burger, i wouldn't be too surprised if this whole fine gets reversed, will be hilarious for us to see if it does!

Lots of clickbait articles with "bombshell" in the headline.

Same with headlines with the words "might", "may", "could", as in "this witness could put Trump in jail". 

But this is not a political tactic, it's just marketing.

Ironically, Drudge Report has less of this than most now.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

Right! So far only 91 bombshells.....

Coming back to topic, it's quite possible that the fine will ultimately be reduced. for ex. to the current bond amount. 

Nice to know that Trumpers will be hilarious if he has to pay "only" $175m! 😀

thats not what i said, i will laugh if it gets to SC and gets over turned, just like the ballot nonsense did!... lets wait and see

1 hour ago, candide said:

I was talking about the fine, not the bond. 

So was the retired Judge who was also talking about the lower court (Engoron's) verdict

“They had other options available to them, and they issued a broad-based stay,” he continued, which he said suggests “that there is a view that they’re going to need to take a hard look at the lower court’s decision.”