Bicycle Shop Wanted

Mike Lister

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure road bikes are suitable for Mike.

Hard on the bum and privates, generally uncomfortable especially for a n00b.

S/h MTB is the way to go, far more comfortable to ride, and an easier option for a bit of exercise.

As an old person, I've sold a my road bikes, just kept a Giant hybrid and a Merida Matts MTB.

You really need a bike with front suspension and wider (comfortable) tires as you get older.

This is absolutely the case, preservation of my arse and nether regions is paramount.

20 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I want to buy a bike for exercise, (not a stationary machine type and not off road).

I'm looking for reasonable quality at a sensible price, I'm in Mae Rim.

Where do I go? (Probably not interested in Tesco/Big C etc)

TIA

Don't buy online as sizes based on your height is inaccurate. Go to a proper bike shop for correct sizing. Worst thing is to get a bike which is larger or smaller in size. If you are new to cycling best to start off with an endurance bike. Anek or Velocity are recommended shops in CM.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NORDO said:

As an avid cyclist who owns four different bikes and bikes daily after selling the ex and letting her take the car.   Be aware, u get what u pay.   Cheap bike, cheap equipment.     New bikes will lose 40-60% when u take them out of the shop..   Most new bikes are using lower cost components to be competitive.    Many seasonal farang bikers try to sell their bike before they go back their country.    There are some good buys there as they are left with little choice as their departure date nears.

if your in the CNX area and you need a retired bike engineer and former bike shop owner to inspect a bike for you or even chat about a bike u have located, contact    P-bike AT asia.com.

NORDO is spot on about cheap components, look for Shimano on the ancillary gear, that is where the manufacture save money.

After I quit the rat race I pursued my hobby of mountain bikes and ended up being a major importer of bikes and components into Singapore,  I also had five retail shops there,  I would love to check out any prospective purchase for you but we are at different ends of the country, so that wont work..... :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NORDO said:

As an avid cyclist who owns four different bikes and bikes daily after selling the ex and letting her take the car.   Be aware, u get what u pay.   Cheap bike, cheap equipment.     New bikes will lose 40-60% when u take them out of the shop..   Most new bikes are using lower cost components to be competitive.    Many seasonal farang bikers try to sell their bike before they go back their country.    There are some good buys there as they are left with little choice as their departure date nears.

if your in the CNX area and you need a retired bike engineer and former bike shop owner to inspect a bike for you or even chat about a bike u have located, contact    P-bike AT asia.com.

P-bike AT asia.com.

???? Can't find😳🥴😵‍💫

21 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I want to buy a bike for exercise, (not a stationary machine type and not off road).

I'm looking for reasonable quality at a sensible price, I'm in Mae Rim. Where do I go? 

I bought my last bike from Decathalon because of their large selection and free delivery to my door.

Previously I bought one on Lazada (buyer beware) and another used in Bangkok that soon required many repairs. 

19 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Helpful hint to the OP upon obtaining a bike. Buy a catapult and some glass marbles from a 20 Baht shop and use them if attacked. Thereafter just hang the catapult on the handle bar and just the sight of it will stop the dogs.

Anyone ever tried using a catapult while riding a bike?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, mania said:

Actually that bike is quite a porker....

*WEIGHT 10.4 kg in size M, without pedals - 23.4 LB

That is going to sting going up Doi Suthep 😉 

That aside Van Rysel   is making some good but expensive nice bikes now RCR & have sponsored a Pro World Tour Team AG2R

OP you should do as another poster suggested & look at used especially in CM there are many

Try a aluminum road bike with rim brakes for light weight & a great deal....Like a Trek ALR or even carbon like Giant TCR etc

weight isn't everything, and not everyone is riding up Doi Suthep. 

Today I went to Decathalon (simply because we were passing that way) and also to Anek on Canal Road. The young lady at Anek was super helpful and spoke English like a native having grown up overseas. Her bike of choice (for me) was a 13k hybrid made in Taiwan, a second hand super bike coasting 30k was offered at 18k. Doubtless both bikes were very good quality and the shop is really professional.

In Decathalon, Mrs Mike liked the Rockrider ST 520 27.5 8sp Mountain Bike at 9,800 and said it looked strong and that I looked good on it. Mrs Mike is an expert on such things and her views are not to be challenged. Between you and me, the Rockride seemed to lack the quality of the previous two bikes but given that I know sweet nothing about these things, I wouldn't put too much stock in what I just said.

I could easily imagine me out on the hills, on the Rockride, weaving between trees and jumping over boulders as I pedal at a perilous speed down the winding track. The reality is I'm going to use the bike, 95% of the time, on a concrete road that is flat and wide and winds through the rice paddies. If there even so much as a hint of an incline or an obstacle, I shall get off and walk and may even call in Revo support to collect me.

I shall sleep on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you buy from a local shop, you can develop a relationship with them. This will be a nice bonus for when the bike needs a tune-up or repairs or exchange or upgrade or what have you. Also, supporting local businesses is a very nice thing to do. I bought my bike at Chaitawat. It is an extra large frame..Marlin 7. Actually, too big for me...go figure. They don't speak any English, however.

A friend of mine who is quite the pro on bikes was impressed with Velocity on Huay Kaew road. I've never been but he said one person spoke great English and knew his stuff. Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

I bought my bike at Chaitawat. It is an extra large frame..Marlin 7. Actually, too big for me...go figure. They don't speak any English, however.

Been a customer for decades and do recall some English spoken there but they seem to prefer Thai.  It was years ago that I found an English speaker there, came out of the back on call>

• Like 2

I recommend Cherry Bikes on the left hand side of the 118 just before the 132 when heading out of the city. 

I bought a Giant MTB from it and used it for several years without looking after it.  Then, after leaving the bike in the sun unused for several months, all the cables became brittle and failed.  It replaced them all and fully serviced the bike so it was as good as new, all for a very reasonable price.

Look at the reviews on Google maps.

• Thanks 1