Dealing with forgetfulness....

19 hours ago, WhiteHatPhil said:

For about the millionth time, this old fart has walked away from an ATM without collecting my debit card. I can no longer use the excuse "it should be card first then money like back home" - that just gets my better half's eyes rolling even faster! 
Has anyone discovered a foolproof method?  Is it possible to get out cash from an ATM that isn't operated by my bank using a phone/mobile banking app, for instance?

I think the family are planning to have me committed - especially as I drove all the way to the bank (40 mins) and forgot my passport and bank book!! LOL 

Why don't you use cardless withdrawals?

I haven't carried or used a physical ATM card for a couple of years.

• Confused 1

I have already lost two debit cards in this way however I have recently found an ATM near to Villa Market, Ratchayotin, Bangkok which has a taped voice reminding users to take their card at the completion of each transaction.

18 hours ago, daveAustin said:

There are cardless atm machines at most banks nowadays... pretty sure you only need the phone, the app will bung you down a code. Labelled CDM or similar.

What if he forget his phone?

Patient to Doctor: "I think I lave lost my memory"

Doctor to Patient: "When did you lose it?"

Patient to Doctor: "Lose what?"

Edited by ChrisKC
forgot to italicise, forgot quotation marks, forgot - sorry can't remember!

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I was cooking in my kitchen last night, oven on, was getting plates knifes & forks ready, went to the door that leads into another room, stared into the dark room, then realized I'd gone to that door 'coz that's where the oven gloves hang, kitchen side of course. :post-4641-1156694572:

I don't think it is really forgetfulness, it's thinking of other things and not concentrating on matters in hand IMO.

That's it. Too much other dumb stuff on his mind to pay attention to the exact moment he is in. Often our spouses etc, can get to be people who think for us all the time. Meditation will most likely solve the issue.

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There's much you can do to improve mental acuity as we get older. The very first place I would start is by creating your own SuperFood that you can consume every day. Start with blue green spirulina and barley green, kelp powder, spinach powder, broccoli powder, and other such superfoods, many of them are available online, and are organic powder. Blend them all together with a little apple juice and voila your brain is functioning at a higher level within a month.

Do not expect your brain to continue to improve or even stay the same without feeding it. 

Is that three meals of it every day? And should it not say 'a little apple juice and VODKA'?

• Haha 1

Card first, money second is nuts, if you are used to the Thai system, which is always money first. When I moved to Vietnam and got my Vietcombank debit card, I thought the bloody machine was malfunctioning, hadn't given me any cash ,went into the bank to complain. The lady came with me to investigate  and  an honest Vietnamese was holding up my cash, asking who that belonged to. They probably thought I was senile. I thought what an idiotic system they have an Vietnam. 

In a lot of countries, you don't get your money until you've removed your card, which seems way more practical to me. I admit that I have left my card in an ATM twice in Thailand - and in both cases I'd become distracted because I'm used to getting my card before the cash.

In spite of the derogatory comments, it's not dementia. Thieves and pickpockets have been using distraction for millennia, so the key to keeping focus is to have a mantra or a mental procedure and you train your brain to "tune out' until the procedure is complete.

When I leave the house, I have 'TMLKP', my missus is always late and she tries to distract me with "have you seen my bra?" or "where's my lipstick?" etc. I just tune it out until I've ticked all my 'TMLKP' boxes.

I used to be a scatter-brain which isn't good when you travel extensively for a living, so I started using these "mantras" in my mid 20's and I've never since forgotten my passport, left my wallet anywhere or left my kids home alone at Christmas.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:08 PM, spidermike007 said:

There's much you can do to improve mental acuity as we get older. The very first place I would start is by creating your own SuperFood that you can consume every day. Start with blue green spirulina and barley green, kelp powder, spinach powder, broccoli powder, and other such superfoods, many of them are available online, and are organic powder. Blend them all together with a little apple juice and voila your brain is functioning at a higher level within a month.

Do not expect your brain to continue to improve or even stay the same without feeding it. 

100% agree with the brain shake method. I grow and use fresh kale which isnt terrible tasting when mixed together. I also agg bllueberries, dragon fruit, ginger, apple cider vinegar and yoghurt....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2024 at 1:13 PM, WhiteHatPhil said:

Is it possible to get out cash from an ATM that isn't operated by my bank using a phone/mobile banking app, for instance?

It depends on your bank.  Bangkok Bank cashless withdrawals is now up to 4 choices I noticed this morning.  Aeon Bank has been there a while and another two options have appeared since my last use.  One name didn't ring a bell as a mainstream bank, but the other was Kasikorn I think (I wasn't paying much attention but reckon it was the Kasikorn logo).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

It depends on your bank.  Bangkok Bank cashless withdrawals is now up to 4 choices I noticed this morning.  Aeon Bank has been there a while and another two options have appeared since my last use.  One name didn't ring a bell as a mainstream bank, but the other was Kasikorn I think (I wasn't paying much attention but reckon it was the Kasikorn logo).

Do they still charge the same 10BHT fee as they do with cards at ATMs if you use the QR code with one of those other banks?

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Do they still charge the same 10BHT fee as they do with cards at ATMs if you use the QR code with one of those other banks?

No idea. I was withdrawing from my BBL account at a BBL ATM and just caught a glimpse of the others as I went throught the process.  Now if someone reports I can use my BBL cashless withdrawal facility at another bank then I'll give it a go to find out.  Kasikorn is the obvious one if I recalled my experience correctly.

ETA:  I don't get charged a 10 baht fee anyway as my backup ATM is a Kasikorn and I would have noticed.  I seem to recall it's limited to so many withdrawals per month (or something like that) are free.

Edited by treetops
  • Thanks 1