Dealing with forgetfulness....

7 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Easy.  Get a clear plastic card holder for your ATM card that you keep in your wallet.

When you withdraw cash from the ATM, put the card holder on your wallet held in your left hand.

You won't put an empty card holder back inside your wallet....... ....especially if it has a bright neon yellow card inside with bright red letters "DON'T FORGET ATM CARD, STUPID!"

What if he forgets the card holder?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

There are cardless atm machines at most banks nowadays... pretty sure you only need the phone, the app will bung you down a code. Labelled CDM or similar.

Only works with your own banks ATM's, which is specifically not what the OP asked about.

There's much you can do to improve mental acuity as we get older. The very first place I would start is by creating your own SuperFood that you can consume every day. Start with blue green spirulina and barley green, kelp powder, spinach powder, broccoli powder, and other such superfoods, many of them are available online, and are organic powder. Blend them all together with a little apple juice and voila your brain is functioning at a higher level within a month.

Do not expect your brain to continue to improve or even stay the same without feeding it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Easy.  Get a clear plastic card holder for your ATM card that you keep in your wallet.

When you withdraw cash from the ATM, put the card holder on your wallet held in your left hand.

You won't put an empty card holder back inside your wallet....... ....especially if it has a bright neon yellow card inside with bright red letters "DON'T FORGET ATM CARD, STUPID!"

I confirm this technique works.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There's much you can do to improve mental acuity as we get older. The very first place I would start is by creating your own SuperFood that you can consume every day. Start with blue green spirulina and barley green, kelp powder, spinach powder, broccoli powder, and other such superfoods, many of them are available online, and are organic powder. Blend them all together with a little apple juice and voila your brain is functioning at a higher level within a month.

Do not expect your brain to continue to improve or even stay the same without feeding it. 

Will alcohol work, too, Mike?

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, WhiteHatPhil said:

For about the millionth time, this old fart has walked away from an ATM without collecting my debit card. I can no longer use the excuse "it should be card first then money like back home" - that just gets my better half's eyes rolling even faster! 
Has anyone discovered a foolproof method?  Is it possible to get out cash from an ATM that isn't operated by my bank using a phone/mobile banking app, for instance?

I think the family are planning to have me committed - especially as I drove all the way to the bank (40 mins) and forgot my passport and bank book!! LOL 

Well, change the Lady. But test her before🥰

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What's that again?😉

I’m also getting forgetful so I now pay for 99% of my needs by using my mobile phone ( QR Code ) I very seldom have more than a 1,000 baht in my pocket I find it so much easier even if it’s 20 baht I will pay by phone I have no need to a cash point 

16 hours ago, daveAustin said:

There are cardless atm machines at most banks nowadays... pretty sure you only need the phone, the app will bung you down a code. Labelled CDM or similar.

For someone who frequently leaves their card in the machine, this is a great suggestion.

However, being organised enough to 'go through the process of card in machine' is already a step away from the 'degree of autopilot' that results in one leaving the card in the ATM.

I don't think this issue is a loss of mental acuity from the Op... It has much more to do with being relaxed, on low alert and functioning on autopilot with complacency.

Early on in adult-hood I developed a very simple rule of 3 that covers most options. 

Using and ATM: 123

1) Card in

2) Cash

3) Card out

...  I get into that habit of one two three and mentally state the number at the point of action. 

Parking the Car: 

1) Keys

2) Lock

3) Location

The same applies to being at home: 

I only ever leave things in one of 3 places and make that a habit.

The one issue I did have... was for getting my keys...

I used to go through the 1,2,3 before going out..

1) Wallet

2) Phone

3) Keys

But then I'd forget the Wife !...    Seriously though, I forgot to take out my keys on a number of occasions and for some reason house keys became a weak link. A couple of times I nearly had to get a hotel because I was back late, wife was fast asleep and I can't get in.

The 1,2,3 thing didn't work with keys because I was usually taking more than 3 things with me... Wine, football kit, etc.

Simple solution there was to go to switch to locks.... 

Its the same when leaving a bar or restaurant etc... doing the 'pocket pat down' to make sure I still have my Wallet with me. 

Making behavior a habit so we don't forget things helps a lot... I'm trying to pass this over to my Son...

Wife is already a lost cause and is outrageously forgetful. If the AC remote is lost, the first place I go to look is the freezer !!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I’m also getting forgetful so I now pay for 99% of my needs by using my mobile phone ( QR Code ) I very seldom have more than a 1,000 baht in my pocket I find it so much easier even if it’s 20 baht I will pay by phone I have no need to a cash point 

Same here...   I actually haven't used an ATM so far this year (in any country).

18 hours ago, WhiteHatPhil said:

For about the millionth time, this old fart has walked away from an ATM without collecting my debit card. I can no longer use the excuse "it should be card first then money like back home" - that just gets my better half's eyes rolling even faster! 
Has anyone discovered a foolproof method?  Is it possible to get out cash from an ATM that isn't operated by my bank using a phone/mobile banking app, for instance?

I think the family are planning to have me committed - especially as I drove all the way to the bank (40 mins) and forgot my passport and bank book!! LOL 

Don’t they have ATMs you can just touch  , no insertion 

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Exercise very helpful:

Creatine known good:

Creatine Supplementation and Brain Health

A couple of others to consider: ginkgo biloba and lion's mane. 

Other than that, a nutrient-rich diet. Some extra anti-oxidants might be helpful, but you'll never know, having no clone to act as a control subject.

And finally a brain needs exercise too. Video games, readily available.

Video games show potential in improving key aspects of memory in older adults

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Super food my @ss.   Eat proper good honest food a big variety off All fruits and Veg that's what the Body/Brain Needs .

NOT that trumpet up so called Super Cr@p

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I have the same problem as the OP. Your idea sounds like a great solution, I will try it. Thanks!

I'm 80 in a few months and I do forget things. 

With my ATM card I have trained myself to seriously go through 'routines',e.g:

After doing a withdrawal:

- Is the cash in my wallet?

- Is the ATM card in my wallet?

- Is the slip in my wallet?

- Is there any cash not yet collected in the slot that pushes the cash out?

- Is my ATM card sitting in the slot in the ATM machine?

- Is there any slip not yet collected from the slip 'output' slot on the ATM machine.

- Is my wallet back in my pocket?

- Is my smartphone in my pocket?

For me this deliberate step by step 'routine' works.

I now apply a 'routine' to other activities, e.g.:

• At BIG C etc I suddenly think of something more that I need to buy, not on my shopping list.
  • I DON'T think 'oh I need to get that item before I leave'.
  • I go immediately to that product shelf and put it in my cart 
  • I never 'abandon' my cart, I take it with me every step.
  • Then I resume my shopping from my prepared shopping list.

• Like 1